Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next
2 years ago  ::  Jul 12, 2012 - 2:01PM #1
Aka_me

internet troll... anyone who won't stop posting about bad spelling.
the government KILLS and EXPERIMENTS and TORTURES people, without ever apologizing, being held accountable or punished. and you expect me to believe they've automagically grown a conscience to not continue? like bloody hades they have.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 12, 2012 - 2:09PM #2
Ken

The percentage has been increasing in the short term. I have no idea what will happen in the long term.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 12, 2012 - 2:28PM #3
teilhard

"Atheism" has ALWAYS had SOME Adherents, but will never have a MAJORITY of The Human Population ...

see: Andrew Newberg, M.D., et al., "Why God Won't Go Away": Brain Science and the Biology of Belief." (2001, Ballantine) ...

Homo sapiens is Homo religiosus ... Various Expressions of Religious Faith will change and come and go over Time, but "Religion" of SOME "Kind" is Humanly nearly UNIVERSAL over Time and across Cultures ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 12, 2012 - 3:24PM #4
mytmouse57

Short term: Massive growth, as people become increasingly -- and rightfully -- disillusioned with religion as such, and as it has been widely packaged, dogmatized, bastardized and marketed. Not to mention, society is essentially in an adolescent stage -- increasingly materialistic,  artificial, divorced from the ecosystem, rebellious, profane, dis-connected and nihilistic. 

Long term: Will become little more than a curiosity, as religion in a distilled form takes hold, and the sober, mature realization that we are essentially spiritual creatures under a common Creator becomes practically ubiquitous.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 12, 2012 - 3:59PM #5
Ken

I think it's highly improbable that everybody's going to turn Baha'i.

Anyway, all the "distilled" religions are things like Taoism, Buddhism, and Advaita Vedanta. None of the Abrahamics cut the mustard.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 12, 2012 - 4:04PM #6
steven_guy

As religions fade away atheism will be the norm, only people won't need to call themselves atheists.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 12, 2012 - 4:05PM #7
steven_guy

Jul 12, 2012 -- 3:24PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Short term: Massive growth, as people become increasingly -- and rightfully -- disillusioned with religion as such, and as it has been widely packaged, dogmatized, bastardized and marketed. Not to mention, society is essentially in an adolescent stage -- increasingly materialistic,  artificial, divorced from the ecosystem, rebellious, profane, dis-connected and nihilistic. 

Long term: Will become little more than a curiosity, as religion in a distilled form takes hold, and the sober, mature realization that we are essentially spiritual creatures under a common Creator becomes practically ubiquitous.

There's about as much chance of that as pigs flying.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 12, 2012 - 4:39PM #8
mainecaptain

Atheism will always exist, and it should. And hopefully among those not atheist they will go back to their own tribal gods as the Abrahamic fades .

The world will become a better place. With less proselyting

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 12, 2012 - 5:10PM #9
steven_guy

I dare say if Christianity and Islam disappeared tomorrow the world would instantly become a more peaceful, safer and saner place.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 12, 2012 - 5:49PM #10
chevy956

I'd add the Baha'i's too- make them go away before they become as much of a pain in the ass as their fellow post- Abrahamics.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook