Post Reply
Page 29 of 29  •  Prev 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29
Switch to Forum Live View Atheism is so silly
2 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2012 - 5:53PM #281
lope
Posts: 10,673

Jul 7, 2012 -- 5:04PM, newsjunkie wrote:


Jul 7, 2012 -- 3:02PM, lope wrote:



Mother Theresa was not indifferent.  Jesus did not teach indifference.




Mother Teresa did many good things, of course, but she was not a perfect person. I don't see any reason to think she was perfect in caring about every single human being on the planet. She cared for many, and that is of course good. But she has also come under criticism for decades for a variety of reasons. There were criticisms of the level of care she provided to those in her hospice, criticisms regarding how she ran her order, what she did with all the donations to her charity, and criticisms of her dealings with some very unsavory characters. Also well known, from her own letters that were published after her death, is that she struggled greatly with believing in God for years. I'm not trying to belittle her, as I think she was overall a very good person, but I think it's important not to portray her as super-human, or without any flaws, either. 





I did not say she was perfect.  I did not say she was superhuman, nor did I protray her as such.  I did say she was not indifferent and I agree overall she seemed to be a very good person.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2012 - 10:30PM #282
F1fan
Posts: 11,146

Jul 7, 2012 -- 2:55PM, lope wrote:


I have no idea what you are talking about.  How is any of this coming out of discussions about public schools?  Evangelicals actually fit your point here, as they treat moderate and liberal Christians with disdain and intolerance.  They are the one's who want evolution out of schools.


Some of the relilgious fundamenalist can be intollerant.  So can some of the politically correct police and they both try to control things including the schools.  To only see one of them is to chose partial blindness.




Who else are you talking about?  Your code isn't clear.  Be clear and be clear about what they are doing.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2012 - 10:34PM #283
F1fan
Posts: 11,146

Jul 7, 2012 -- 2:59PM, lope wrote:


Jul 6, 2012 -- 8:25PM, F1fan wrote:


Jul 6, 2012 -- 12:52PM, lope wrote:


As I have stated you claim as fact the non existence of a reason for our existence.  That is an assumption, not a fact.  



It's also an assumption that unicorns don't exist.  But we don't assume unicorns DO exist when we examine and study horse species.  We default to the fact that there is no reason to assume unicorns exist, and we just focus on what we can see as evident.  So when we strudy humanity and meaning we don't assume there is inherent meaning, we just focus on what we see as evident.  We can also study where the ideas of unicorns came from, just as we can investigate where the ideas of inherent meaning came from.  It wasn't through observations, but human invention in both cases.


You state it is an unwarranted assumption to assume we exist for a reason.  I state it is an unwarranted assumption to assume our existence is meaningless and our destiny is meaningless oblivion.  



Then defend your assumption and explain how it is likely true despite a lack of evidence.


Unless you can prove the universe is indifferent, do not state it as a fact.



Prove it?  Look around you, it is clearly evident.  Any time a little kid dies from some natural disease, well it tells us the universe does not favor humanity, even little kids.




No it is not clearly evident because every one dies.




Great, so I take it you are pro-abortion, since everyone dies.  And murder shouldn't be pounished, since everyone dies.  And you are in favor of euthanasia, no matter who it is?


So I'm wondering why you seem to differ from most of your fellow Christians who go nuts promoting the idea that life is sacred.  Explain.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 09, 2012 - 3:38AM #284
Daldianus
Posts: 32,442

Jul 8, 2012 -- 5:49PM, lope wrote:

She also did what made others feel good as they were dying.  So in your view doing good things for others is meaningless if it makes one feel good about themselves?



No, not at all. We should be happy about the fact that helping others makes us feel happy ourselves so often! If it didn't then we wouldn't help. We only do what makes us happy (or makes us feel less bad). 

>> Feed your brain with awesome!
“After your death you will be what you were before your birth.” - Arthur Schopenhauer
"Eternity is very long, especially towards the end." - Woody Allen
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 29 of 29  •  Prev 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook