Page 1 of 23  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 23 Next
Switch to Forum Live View When you're sick: do you want medicine or prayers?
2 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2012 - 4:19AM #1
Daldianus

Religious people often claim that it's the prayers that keep them alive or make them healthy again. Yet, if they REALLY believe this then why don't they refuse medical aid when sick?

And if it's the medicine that heals them then why claim it's the prayers!?

>> Feed your brain with awesome!
“After your death you will be what you were before your birth.” - Arthur Schopenhauer
"Eternity is very long, especially towards the end." - Woody Allen
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2012 - 6:06AM #2
miknik5

Jul 2, 2012 -- 4:19AM, Daldianus wrote:

Religious people often claim that it's the prayers that keep them alive or make them healthy again. Yet, if they REALLY believe this then why don't they refuse medical aid when sick?

And if it's the medicine that heals them then why claim it's the prayers!?

Medicine AND prayers...the serenity prayer..as well as James 1 might explain better.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2012 - 6:51AM #3
Daldianus

Jul 2, 2012 -- 6:06AM, miknik5 wrote:

Medicine AND prayers...the serenity prayer..as well as James 1 might explain better.

But the prayer won't affect the illness, or will it? If yes, why take medicine in the first place?

“After your death you will be what you were before your birth.” - Arthur Schopenhauer
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2012 - 7:12AM #4
miknik5

Jul 2, 2012 -- 6:51AM, Daldianus wrote:

Jul 2, 2012 -- 6:06AM, miknik5 wrote:

But the prayer won't affect the illness, or will it? If yes, why take medicine in the first place?

Oh...I don't know about that, Mr. D...it did...affect the illness.  But, it took some time before the prayer to discover that I wasn't doing everything else in my ability to do...and so, once I understood than yes...prayer took over and still does...

Take the medicine....and pray.  And keep praying...

It is afterwards that you begin to understand the very Our Father...give us each day our daily bread and prayer becomes every day "bread"...along with the medicine...

Until, no longer the need for medicine...and still the NEED FOR PRAYER!

btw...sorry, I should have said James 2...for if one sees another in need of physical comfort and well-being and does not supply it when it is in their ability to do so, how does that appear?  How can one say I'' pray for you, how can one offer spiritual "food", but neglect the physical needs?

We are to do what is in our ability to do and still pray...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2012 - 7:38AM #5
Daldianus

Jul 2, 2012 -- 7:12AM, miknik5 wrote:

Why pray if you take the medicine? Will the medicine work differently if you pray? If not then why pray? And if you could get healed by prayer alone then why take medicine?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2012 - 8:09AM #6
Iwantamotto

Medicine is to heal the body (assuming the doctor can prescribe the right stuff and you're not allergic).  Prayer is to calm the mind (assuming, as some studies suggest, prayer doesn't make you focus on your bad situation and freak out even more).  Calming the mind reduces stress which improves the healing process.  It's not particularly necessary, as there are meds for anxiety as well, but anti-anxiety meds don't share the same social support mechanism that prayer is supposed to express.

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2012 - 8:12AM #7
miknik5

Jul 2, 2012 -- 7:38AM, Daldianus wrote:

Jul 2, 2012 -- 7:12AM, miknik5 wrote:

Why pray if you take the medicine? Will the medicine work differently if you pray? If not then why pray? And if you could get healed by prayer alone then why take medicine?

Do what your supposed to do and then leave the rest to GOD...that is the serenity prayer...being able to know the difference between what is in our capability to do and what isn't...that is when serenity(the peace which surpasses all understanding) comes...leaving what we can not control in HIS care, trusting that if it is HIS WILL, HE will do what we ask.

That is all...
www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=serenity...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2012 - 8:12AM #8
Daldianus

Jul 2, 2012 -- 8:09AM, Iwantamotto wrote:

Medicine is to heal the body (assuming the doctor can prescribe the right stuff and you're not allergic).  Prayer is to calm the mind (assuming, as some studies suggest, prayer doesn't make you focus on your bad situation and freak out even more).  Calming the mind reduces stress which improves the healing process.  It's not particularly necessary, as there are meds for anxiety as well, but anti-anxiety meds don't share the same social support mechanism that prayer is supposed to express.

Ok, but in that case it's the brain comforting the body. Which is different from how believers explain praying. According to them it's their god doing some magic on the body.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2012 - 8:13AM #9
Daldianus

Jul 2, 2012 -- 8:12AM, miknik5 wrote:

Do what your supposed to do and then leave the rest to GOD...

But if you do what you are supposed to do (take your medicine) then what's there left for your god to do in this case?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2012 - 8:15AM #10
miknik5

Jul 2, 2012 -- 8:12AM, Daldianus wrote:

Jul 2, 2012 -- 8:09AM, Iwantamotto wrote:

Ok, but in that case it's the brain comforting the body. Which is different from how believers explain praying. According to them it's their god doing some magic on the body.

When my daughter was sick, my brain could not comfort me...in fact my brain became my worst enemy...because all the things that I imagined, I did not want...but could not stop myself from imagining them...and then...then I left it to GOD.

Once in a while, I do have thoughts of what if down the road...but I can't control everything and I have to trust even my children to HIM...

I always want to control things...but in this situation, I found no...I don't have any control over my health or that of my childrens'...that this too is a gift from GOD...

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 23  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 23 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook