Post Reply
Page 4 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View 150 LDS resign en masse
2 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2012 - 1:56AM #31
Habala?!
Posts: 1,224

Jul 9, 2012 -- 11:31PM, Ironhold wrote:


Jul 9, 2012 -- 9:45PM, Svetlana wrote:


No, WWA, it's horrifically sad. It is proof of just how ugly the church makes life for those who wish to leave, that those people had to come from so far to find support to leave. It shows quite clearly how abandoned and shunned they would be for taking responsibility for their own spiritual health. It is very compelling evidence that the the church is VERY vehemently opposed to taking responsibility for one's own spiritual life, because they DID have to be bussed in to one another for support. The ugliness of the church against members who leave isn't remotely funny, and  I think your comment is just more fruit of your faith in LDS, Inc. If the church were really as you claim it is, and as it claims to be, you'd be expressing sympathy that they thought they needed such support to leave. No, you mock them instead. Nice religion you've got there, that teaches you mockery instead of sympathy.




Astroturfing


What took place here is a pretty clear-cut example: the people behind the stunt couldn't organize enough people locally, and so they brought in folks from out of town to give the assembled group a much larger presence than it would otherwise have had.


Astroturfing is considered dishonest, and as such anyone who engages in it is generally regarded as disreputable.


It's politics 101, not honest theology.


Hence why no one within the church is taking this seriously.




I might of considered joining them if I had heard about it beforehand.


It wasn't very well publicized until after the fact.


This isn't astorturfing. Astroturfing is when a top down organization fakes being a bottom up movement. Did you read the wiki article that you linked us to?


The Tea Party is the most prominent example recent of astroturfing.


"It's politics 101, not honest theology"?


Think before you post, please...


"When you walk, you might like to take the hand of a child. She will receive your concentration and stability, and you will receive her freshness and innocence." -Tich Naht Hanh
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2012 - 1:01PM #32
Ironhold
Posts: 11,491

Jul 10, 2012 -- 1:56AM, Habala?! wrote:


I might of considered joining them if I had heard about it beforehand.


It wasn't very well publicized until after the fact.




Duh.


If they'd have put up fliers saying "We're gonna bus all the disgruntled Mormons we can find to SLC for an event," they'd have been hosed.


Not only would they have tipped everyone off ahead of time, such a poor turnout would have looked even worse for their cause because it would have confirmed that most Mormons are perfectly content with the way things are.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2012 - 1:15PM #33
mecdukebec
Posts: 14,582

Jul 10, 2012 -- 1:01PM, Ironhold wrote:


Jul 10, 2012 -- 1:56AM, Habala?! wrote:


I might of considered joining them if I had heard about it beforehand.


It wasn't very well publicized until after the fact.




Duh.


If they'd have put up fliers saying "We're gonna bus all the disgruntled Mormons we can find to SLC for an event," they'd have been hosed.


Not only would they have tipped everyone off ahead of time, such a poor turnout would have looked even worse for their cause because it would have confirmed that most Mormons are perfectly content with the way things are.





"Mormons content as they as are," sounds like an advert for "Ambien, the drug for Active Saints." 

*******

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2012 - 1:16PM #34
Aka_me
Posts: 12,106

Jul 10, 2012 -- 1:01PM, Ironhold wrote:

such a poor turnout would have looked even worse for their cause because it would have confirmed that most Mormons are perfectly content with the way things are.



you don't know that. neither you nor I have any way of knowing what's going through the minds of people not showing up to church.


there's two axis of the equation...


the X axis is "cares whether their name exists in church membership rolls, or not"


the Y axis is "worried about the pressure and revenge good Mormons are going to inflict upon resigning membership".


only those people who care very much about getting their name off church rolls, and worry very little about the revenge and pressure from good Mormons...


actually go through with the process.


83,000 out of 140,000 actually went through with it.


so around half of all converts go inactive, and around half the inactives bring themselves to remove their name.

there can be no meaning or value to life, in a universe devoid of meaning and value... because the moment those who knew you are gone, you will never have existed at all.

if you see anyone not screaming at the top of their lungs THE SKY IS FALLING BECAUSE OF GLOBAL WARMING! then for prophet Gore's sake help them see the light that doing so is the only means we have of getting off fossil fuel.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2012 - 1:23PM #35
li47
Posts: 856
I don't think there was any "bussing" involved. I was aware of this event for several weeks before it happened - there was/is a website for the event, and it was discussed pretty frequently on various exmormon sites. Attendance at the event was basically by general invitation (ie: no recruiting or bussing in). Any who wanted to or were able to join in were welcomed. Prior to the event, it wasn't known if there would be 10 people or 1000. I think the organizers were pleased with the turnout, especially knowing that those 150 people were really just a small sampling of the number of people who resign every year.

I think the event was more about supporting one another, and about letting others who may want to leave the LDS church know that there are resources and support available to them. Sending a message to the lds leadership was probably a small part of the event, but certainly not nearly as important as reaching out to others who have or who may want to resign their membership in the lds church. In that sense, I think this event was a positive.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2012 - 2:10PM #36
mecdukebec
Posts: 14,582

Member Records Returned My Letter To Me




Unfortunately, occasionally Member Records will return your letter of resignation to you, with a claim that you have to find the local bishop or branch president and that you have to give your resignation to that person.. My guess is that they usually do this when they get a resignation from a person who they think has not used this website, which means they think the person doesn't know what his/her rights are.
You do NOT have to do what they say and I hope you won't. Legally you can submit your resignation to any representative of the church and Member Records is the obvious best place to send it. If they returned your letter to you, you probably received a letter from them plus a stamped and dated copy of your original letter of resignation. Both of those items are proof that they received your letter of resignation. The stamped photocopy of your letter is legal proof that you stopped being a member of the church on that date (that's true IF you said that the letter was your formal resignation and that it was effective immediately).
Remember, you are no longer a member and they no longer have any kind of authority or power over you. Please be assertive about this.
Keep copies of both of the items they sent you. You can make photocopies of them and send the copies back to Member Records, if you want. Send them back to member records with a note, something like this one [..]


www.mormonnomore.com/returned-letters



*******

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2012 - 2:32PM #37
Aka_me
Posts: 12,106

Jul 10, 2012 -- 1:01PM, Ironhold wrote:

If they'd have put up fliers saying "We're gonna bus all the disgruntled Mormons we can find to SLC for an event," they'd have been hosed.


Not only would they have tipped everyone off ahead of time, such a poor turnout would have looked even worse for their cause because it would have confirmed that most Mormons are perfectly content with the way things are.



yes... they did tip everyone off ahead of time.


and where did you get the idea "they" did any bussing?


A sixth-generation Mormon, Kris Fielding, 35, traveled from Phoenix for the resignation event in part to represent those who do not yet have the courage to do so, he said, including his wife, who worries about reaction from their families.


"they" are simply focused on helping people through the pain caused by good Mormons, not bussing people across the country.

there can be no meaning or value to life, in a universe devoid of meaning and value... because the moment those who knew you are gone, you will never have existed at all.

if you see anyone not screaming at the top of their lungs THE SKY IS FALLING BECAUSE OF GLOBAL WARMING! then for prophet Gore's sake help them see the light that doing so is the only means we have of getting off fossil fuel.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2012 - 3:28PM #38
Ironhold
Posts: 11,491

Jul 10, 2012 -- 2:10PM, mecdukebec wrote:


Member Records Returned My Letter To Me




Unfortunately, occasionally Member Records will return your letter of resignation to you, with a claim that you have to find the local bishop or branch president and that you have to give your resignation to that person.. My guess is that they usually do this when they get a resignation from a person who they think has not used this website, which means they think the person doesn't know what his/her rights are.
You do NOT have to do what they say and I hope you won't. Legally you can submit your resignation to any representative of the church and Member Records is the obvious best place to send it. If they returned your letter to you, you probably received a letter from them plus a stamped and dated copy of your original letter of resignation. Both of those items are proof that they received your letter of resignation. The stamped photocopy of your letter is legal proof that you stopped being a member of the church on that date (that's true IF you said that the letter was your formal resignation and that it was effective immediately).
Remember, you are no longer a member and they no longer have any kind of authority or power over you. Please be assertive about this.
Keep copies of both of the items they sent you. You can make photocopies of them and send the copies back to Member Records, if you want. Send them back to member records with a note, something like this one [..]


www.mormonnomore.com/returned-letters






Actually, protocol is that resignations are supposed to be handled at the local level first.


I'd love to see what legal precedent they wish to cite otherwise.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2012 - 3:42PM #39
mecdukebec
Posts: 14,582

Jul 10, 2012 -- 3:28PM, Ironhold wrote:


Jul 10, 2012 -- 2:10PM, mecdukebec wrote:


Member Records Returned My Letter To Me




Unfortunately, occasionally Member Records will return your letter of resignation to you, with a claim that you have to find the local bishop or branch president and that you have to give your resignation to that person.. My guess is that they usually do this when they get a resignation from a person who they think has not used this website, which means they think the person doesn't know what his/her rights are.
You do NOT have to do what they say and I hope you won't. Legally you can submit your resignation to any representative of the church and Member Records is the obvious best place to send it. If they returned your letter to you, you probably received a letter from them plus a stamped and dated copy of your original letter of resignation. Both of those items are proof that they received your letter of resignation. The stamped photocopy of your letter is legal proof that you stopped being a member of the church on that date (that's true IF you said that the letter was your formal resignation and that it was effective immediately).
Remember, you are no longer a member and they no longer have any kind of authority or power over you. Please be assertive about this.
Keep copies of both of the items they sent you. You can make photocopies of them and send the copies back to Member Records, if you want. Send them back to member records with a note, something like this one [..]


www.mormonnomore.com/returned-letters






Actually, protocol is that resignations are supposed to be handled at the local level first.


I'd love to see what legal precedent they wish to cite otherwise.




I thought it was interesting that LDS need a guide to resign.  Morg Collective has a way of being, you know, Morglike.  Wink

*******

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2012 - 3:43PM #40
mecdukebec
Posts: 14,582

Jul 10, 2012 -- 2:32PM, Aka_me wrote:


Jul 10, 2012 -- 1:01PM, Ironhold wrote:

If they'd have put up fliers saying "We're gonna bus all the disgruntled Mormons we can find to SLC for an event," they'd have been hosed.


Not only would they have tipped everyone off ahead of time, such a poor turnout would have looked even worse for their cause because it would have confirmed that most Mormons are perfectly content with the way things are.



yes... they did tip everyone off ahead of time.


and where did you get the idea "they" did any bussing?


A sixth-generation Mormon, Kris Fielding, 35, traveled from Phoenix for the resignation event in part to represent those who do not yet have the courage to do so, he said, including his wife, who worries about reaction from their families.


"they" are simply focused on helping people through the pain caused by good Mormons, not bussing people across the country.





Doing something like this with a group shows the need for support.  Leaving behind paganism is a very large step, obviously. 

*******

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook