Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Switch to Forum Live View People don't commit sins
2 years ago  ::  Jul 03, 2012 - 8:35AM #41
Kwinters

Jul 3, 2012 -- 7:37AM, Dostojevsky wrote:

' We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good.
As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me.
'

Instead of the word 'sin' take 'disease'.

As disease works on the body so the sin works on the spirit.

But an infection is an outside agent destroying our health against our will and so we fight until it is removed.

What is the equivalent in this analogy for the elimination of sin?

Jesus had two dads, and he turned out alright.~ Andy Gussert

“Feminism has fought no wars. It has killed no opponents. It has set up no concentration camps, starved no enemies, practiced no cruelties. Its battles have been for education, for the vote, for better working conditions…for safety on the streets…for child care, for social welfare…for rape crisis centers, women’s refuges, reforms in the law.

If someone says, “Oh, I’m not a feminist,” I ask, “Why, what’s your problem?”

Dale Spender
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 03, 2012 - 10:09AM #42

Jul 3, 2012 -- 8:35AM, Kwinters wrote:

But an infection is an outside agent destroying our health against our will and so we fight until it is removed.

What is the equivalent in this analogy for the elimination of sin?

An equivalent analogy would be taking the infection and allowing another to freely take it.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 03, 2012 - 10:12AM #43

Jul 2, 2012 -- 9:58PM, MMarcoe wrote:

Jun 29, 2012 -- 10:47AM, Kwinters wrote:

Romans 7:14-20

We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin.

I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 
And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good.

For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature.  For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.
For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing.

Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

This is the Buddhist view. Paul was a Buddhist, of course.

He knew about the nature of the self as opposed to the nature of the divine, and how each of them worked in him.

Paul understood that if Buddha didn't know Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior...Buddha is rotting in Hell

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 03, 2012 - 11:17AM #44
MMarcoe

Jul 3, 2012 -- 10:12AM, 57 wrote:

Jul 2, 2012 -- 9:58PM, MMarcoe wrote:

Jun 29, 2012 -- 10:47AM, Kwinters wrote:

Romans 7:14-20

We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin.

I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 
And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good.

For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature.  For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.
For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing.

Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

This is the Buddhist view. Paul was a Buddhist, of course.

He knew about the nature of the self as opposed to the nature of the divine, and how each of them worked in him.

Paul understood that if Buddha didn't know Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior...Buddha is rotting in Hell

Paul had the same basic understanding of self and divinity that Buddha had. You have that same understanding, too, though yours isn't refined very well.

And Buddha can't be rotting in hell because the elements of his body and mind are no longer anywhere.

There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.

God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 03, 2012 - 12:31PM #45
Rgurley4

Salvation (from the influence of SIN / SIN(S) / SIN NATURE) refers to:

1. the spiritual gift of God's undeserved Grace in delivering his people from BONDAGE to sin and eternal CONDEMNATION as unbelievers,***
2. Being spiritually born again from above 
3. CHANGING by transferring them to a " position " in the kingdom of God /Heaven (Col. 1:13), and
4. giving them eternal life (Romans 6:23)
—>>>all on the basis of what Jesus the Christ accomplished in his substitutionary atonement and sacrifice.
***The Bible says we are saved by grace through faith; and that not of ourselves, it is the gift of God (Ephesians 2:8).

Theology: study of salvation is called "soteriology",from Greek "soteria"  meaning "salvation".
Salvation, ....
A. includes the overall concepts of redemption, reconciliation, justification, substitution, and other benefits....and
B.  includes a PAST, PRESENT, and FUTURE sense. (PROGRESSIVE salvation and sanctification)

As spiritually changed Christ-followers:,

1. we WERE saved from the PRISON/ bondage/ eternal PENALTY of sin when God's Grace brought us to Spirit-Led Faith in Jesus the Christ
(saving faith brings us MANY spiritual benefits...immediately!...SEE ABOVE!)

2. we are presently BEING  saved from the POWER of sin as God the Holy Spirit indwells, guides, comforts and sanctifies us, ETC.
We gradually grow and mature spiritually by FOLLOWING the example and precepts of Jesus the God-Man....
so that the SIN NATURE is less influential, and sin(s) in our lives after salvation are FORGIVEN by CONFESSION.

3. we WILL BE be saved from the PRESENCE of sin when we spiritually dwell in the heavenly realms with the TRI-UNE GOD, and
finally in the New Jerusalem, the New Heavens and the New Earth, infinite and eternal.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 03, 2012 - 2:21PM #46
lope

Jul 3, 2012 -- 8:33AM, Kwinters wrote:

Jul 2, 2012 -- 3:33PM, lope wrote:

Grace and forgivenss from a loving and merciful Creator is how God delivers people who do not achieve perfection in this life.  Jesus taught and exampled that we have a loving Creator and the possibility of a destiny of life.

How is that different from saying 'Jesus will cure your cancer after you're dead'?

That makes no sense to me.  No body says cancer will be cured after your dead.  There would be no cancer to cure after you are dead.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook