Page 1 of 11  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Discrimination against atheists
2 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2012 - 5:04PM #1
Abner1
On a fairly regular basis the more vocally anti-atheist theists claim that the only reason atheists get criticized or told to shut up is that we are too loud, too obnoxious, and too anti-atheist.  If we were just nice and non-confrontational, we would be treated nicely ...

Here's a case in point why I think those claims are wrong:

www.patheos.com//Atheist/Movie-Theater-D...

Note that this atheist group did everything according to the you-bring-it-on-yourselves-by-being-loud-atheists-so-play-nice book.   It didn't help.

IMO, the message is pretty clear: atheists should just shut up and pretend not to exist. 
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2012 - 5:24PM #2
Abner1

aka wrote:

> shut up or move, what's so difficult about that?

That sums up that attitude towards atheists very pithily.  Thank you for exemplifying my point.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2012 - 5:41PM #3
wohali

"shut up or move, what's so difficult about that?'

Well, there it is. If you don't believe in somebody's imaginary friend, you ain't got no rights.

That's why I hang-out with you guys.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2012 - 5:54PM #4
Abner1

Wohali wrote:

> Well, there it is. If you don't believe in somebody's imaginary friend, you ain't got no rights.

> That's why I hang-out with you guys.

Theists like you are a major reason why I try to be careful specifically not to condemn theists in general.  You understand what it's like, probably because of your own experiences in similar situations.

I've long been of the opinion that being part of some relatively powerless group tends to be good for the character - it often teaches humility about one's own position and empathy for others who are relatively powerless.  Being part of a powerful group often leads to arrogance and a feeling that one's current powerful position is a right; other people trying to achieve equal treatment are then seen as being uppity and a threat to the established order.

I think it would be good for the U.S. if every religion was a minority, if no one religious group had enough popularity in the populace that they could think of themselves as the rightful default.  It might teach everyone to defend the equality of religious minorities if they too were a religious minority.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2012 - 6:39PM #5
Ken

Jun 26, 2012 -- 6:20PM, Aka_me wrote:

my co-religionists are being executed in Iran, and I ask those who've made it out why they all don't pack up and move... it is a fair question.

Not really. It's usually very difficult - even impossible - to leave one country and move to another. The obvious solution for Iranian Baha'is is to become Muslim. They already consider Muhammad to be a Manifestation of God, so it shouldn't be a problem for them.

Moderated by Stardove on Jun 27, 2012 - 12:38PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2012 - 7:07PM #6
mountain_man

Jun 26, 2012 -- 5:04PM, Abner1 wrote:

....IMO, the message is pretty clear: atheists should just shut up and pretend not to exist. 

One must take into consideration that this happened Texas; the rear end of the christian bible belt.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2012 - 7:58PM #7
JCarlin

It would be better to have Perry secede and take any state that wants to go with him.  Think of the advantages for all No more social security, no more Obamacare, no more food stamps, no more subsidies to big oil companies.

Moderated by Beliefnet_community on Jun 26, 2012 - 09:33PM
J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2012 - 8:59PM #8
mainecaptain

Jun 26, 2012 -- 7:58PM, JCarlin wrote:

It would be better to have Perry secede and take any state that wants to go with him.  Think of the advantages for all No more social security, no more Obamacare, no more food stamps, no more subsidies to big oil companies.

Sound good!

Moderated by Beliefnet_community on Jun 26, 2012 - 09:33PM
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2012 - 11:21PM #9
Abner1

Aka wrote:

> it was comedy, sheeeesh!

There was no indication that it was meant tongue-in-cheek, nor did I have any reason to think that it was inconsistent with your views.  But so be it - instead of exemplifying the attitude, you were mocking it by imitating it exactly.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2012 - 11:25PM #10
Abner1

Mountainman wrote:

> One must take into consideration that this happened Texas; the rear end of

> the christian bible belt. 

I really don't think that makes much of a difference.  There was a similar case in a Northern state recently, nowhere near the Bible Belt, where the atheists kept submitting various ads to be on buses and kept being told they were being offensive.  Their final version just had 'Atheist' and then contact information for their organization.  That was also rejected as offensive.

Think about that for a second.  Just the word 'atheist' was considered offensive.  That really says it all.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 11  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook