Page 1 of 10  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Strange Old Testament Scriptures About The Earth
2 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2012 - 7:00PM #1
Ed_3

Hi, all. I was wondering if JWs could answer some questions about what appears to be 'strange' scriptures about the Earth in the Old Testament.

But first of all, Job 9:6 says: "He is making the earth go quaking from its place, So that its very pillars shudder."

Therefore, my first question is: What is meant by the earth's "pillars"?

Second of all, Job 37:18 says: "With him can you beat out the skies, Hard like a molten mirror?"

Therefore, my second question is: Why is the sky described as being hard like a molten mirror?

Thirdly, Isaiah 40:22a say: "There is One who is dwelling above the circle of the earth. . ."

Although, I wanted to note that most other translations say something like: "God sits above the circle of the earth" or "he who sits above the circle of the earth," which is supported by the original Hebrew:

Barnes' Notes on the Bible

It is he that sitteth - Margin, 'Him that sitteth,' that is, have you not known him? The Hebrew literally means 'the sitter, or he sitting on the circle of the each;' and it may be connected either with Isaiah 40:21, 'Have ye not known him sitting on the circle of the earth?' or with Isaiah 40:18, 'What likeness will ye compare to him that sitteth on the circle of the earth?' In either case the phrase is designed to show the majesty and glory of God. The word 'sitteth' refers to God as a sovereign or monarch, making the circle of the earth his throne.

The circle of the earth - Or rather, "above" (על ‛al) the circle of the earth. The word rendered 'circle' (חוּג chûg) denotes "a circle, sphere, or arch"; and is applied to the arch or vault of the heavens, in Proverbs 8:27; Job 22:14. The phrase 'circle,' or 'circuit of the earth,' here seems to be used in the same sense as the phrase orbis terrarum by the Latins; not as denoting a sphere, or not as implying that the earth was a globe, but that it was an extended plain surrounded by oceans and mighty waters. The globular form of the earth was then unknown; and the idea is, that God sat above this extended circuit, or circle; and that the vast earth was beneath his feet.

bible.cc/isaiah/40-22.htm 

Therefore, my thrid question is: What is meant by God dwelling(or sitting) above the circle of the earth?

Thank you in advance for your participation.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2012 - 7:37PM #2
cherubino

Is this a question for literalists only or can we treat it as poetry?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2012 - 7:40PM #3
Kemmer

Numbers represent another kind of imagery.  English readers know that 1,000 is a round number, often an approximation or an obvious exaggeration.  Modern readers are less likely to know that 930 (the years of Adam's life) was a round number in antiquity, because ancient math was based on the Babylonian system of multiplying small numbers: the round numbers were 6, 12, 30, 60, etc.  (This is why, to this day, there are 12 hours in a day and 60 seconds in a minute.)  Nine-hundred and thirty is 30 times 30 plus 30, and an ancient reader would immediately have understood that it was a symbolic number.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2012 - 9:38PM #4
Ed_3

Jun 25, 2012 -- 7:37PM, cherubino wrote:

You can take a stab at it as poetry, but I know that the literalists will disagree with you.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2012 - 9:42PM #5
Ed_3

Jun 25, 2012 -- 7:40PM, Kemmer wrote:

Numbers represent another kind of imagery.  English readers know that 1,000 is a round number, often an approximation or an obvious exaggeration.  Modern readers are less likely to know that 930 (the years of Adam's life) was a round number in antiquity, because ancient math was based on the Babylonian system of multiplying small numbers: the round numbers were 6, 12, 30, 60, etc.  (This is why, to this day, there are 12 hours in a day and 60 seconds in a minute.)  Nine-hundred and thirty is 30 times 30 plus 30, and an ancient reader would immediately have understood that it was a symbolic number.

So, Kemmer, what does Adam's age symbolize? ....Or are you in the wrong thread? Wink

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2012 - 9:49PM #6
cherubino

Jun 25, 2012 -- 9:38PM, Ed_3 wrote:

You can take a stab at it as poetry, but I know that the literalists will disagree with you.

So why are we who took and passed all those English courses expected to come hat-in-hand to the unlettered dropouts and explain ourselves? Why must we give the semi-literate the benefit of the doubt? I have two degrees and I'm not about to apologize for it to someone who got a high school diploma on the voc tech track.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2012 - 10:06PM #7
mecdukebec

Isn't the Bible a product of another age, and cosmology:  Just like Anglophones are the off-spring of the Francophone Adam et Yves, plus some slug DNA? 

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2012 - 11:31PM #8
Kemmer

So, Kemmer, what does Adam's age symbolize? ....Or are you in the wrong thread?

The sybolism was lost in antiquity; in any case "Adam" is a myth.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2012 - 11:35PM #9
Upperlimits

Jun 25, 2012 -- 9:42PM, Ed_3 wrote:

Jun 25, 2012 -- 7:40PM, Kemmer wrote:

So, Kemmer, what does Adam's age symbolize? ....Or are you in the wrong thread? Wink

Like he was saying, there are twelve hours in a day and twelve hours in a night.

So, multiply 12 by 12 and you get 144. Next: multiply that by your symbolic sum of 1000 - and Voilla!! Instant Biblical insight!!

errr, well, sort of...Undecided

According to 2nd Corinthians 3:2, there are five gospels in the world. Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, and the Epistle of ones own life.  Most people will probably never read the first four.

God desires that our lives would bear spiritual fruit - not religious nuts.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2012 - 1:27AM #10
Ed_3

Jun 25, 2012 -- 9:49PM, cherubino wrote:

Jun 25, 2012 -- 9:38PM, Ed_3 wrote:

So why are we who took and passed all those English courses expected to come hat-in-hand to the unlettered dropouts and explain ourselves? Why must we give the semi-literate the benefit of the doubt? I have two degrees and I'm not about to apologize for it to someone who got a high school diploma on the voc tech track.

Um, you don't have to apologize to anyone. Just give your answer and don't be concerned about what the literalists think.

Besides, all that they can do is laugh at you, talk about you behind your back...and tell each other that you don't have the holy spirit and therefore don't know what in the world you are talking about. Wink

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 10  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook