Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next
2 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2012 - 1:24AM #1
Aka_me

·

internet troll... anyone who won't stop posting about bad spelling.
the government KILLS and EXPERIMENTS and TORTURES people, without ever apologizing, being held accountable or punished. and you expect me to believe they've automagically grown a conscience to not continue? like bloody hades they have.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2012 - 3:51AM #2
Eudaimonist

Jun 25, 2012 -- 1:24AM, Aka_me wrote:

how many people here consider themselves Secular Humanists?

Not I, though I am perhaps close to Secular Humanism in some ways.

There don't seem to be enough active posters here for even one board, much less two.  But I wouldn't oppose the idea of a Secular Humanist board.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2012 - 6:21AM #3
JCarlin

There are threads for secular humanism on A&SP.  If you want to debate or discuss it do it here.  However there are Secular Humanists, a quasi religion with manifestos, meetings, etc. and there are secular humanists of various philosophical bents with humanism at the core and no deity and no meetings. 

Some atheists are neither, in that having humans in a special elevated place in the over all scheme of life on the planet is not part of their philosophical stance.  Humans are just another animal that happens to have an over developed cortex and an underdeveloped social sense. 

If you please, clarify the OP to decide what you want to do. 

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2012 - 11:49AM #4
mountain_man

Jun 25, 2012 -- 1:24AM, Aka_me wrote:

has Bnet thought about adding a forum for Secular Humanism?

There already is one.

or is it by design to remain within atheism?

Neither since you are, as usual, mistaken.

Moderated by Merope on Jun 28, 2012 - 02:57AM
Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2012 - 12:02PM #5
mainecaptain

I am a theist that believes in the basic principles of secular humanism;

Wiki had this down as part of their description of secular humanism

" it posits that human beings are capable of being ethical and moral without religion or God, it neither assumes humans to be inherently evil or innately good, nor presents humans as "above nature" or superior to it. "

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2012 - 3:44PM #6
wohali

I consider myself a sarcastic humanist.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2012 - 4:48PM #7
Ken

Jun 25, 2012 -- 3:44PM, wohali wrote:

I consider myself a sarcastic humanist.

Quite a good one too.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2012 - 4:54PM #8
mountain_man

Jun 25, 2012 -- 12:02PM, mainecaptain wrote:

I am a theist that believes in the basic principles of secular humanism...

Theistic, or religious, humanism is a fine position. There are many kinds of Humanists and most are not secular. Humanism is a big tent we can all fit under.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2012 - 5:36PM #9
Ken

I'm too much of a misanthrope to call myself a humanist. But I'm very, very secular.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2012 - 5:51PM #10
mainecaptain

Ken I like you anyway :))

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook