Switch to Forum Live View Reuters? Or The Onion?
2 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2012 - 4:28PM #1
WaveringCC
www.americamagazine.org/blog/entry.cfm?blog_id=2&entry_id=5205

Vatican to become 'Fair and Balanced'

Some breaking news from the Vatican today, via Reuters:

The Vatican has hired an American journalist from the Fox News Network and member of the conservative Catholic group Opus Dei to help improve its relations with the media, a senior Church source said on Saturday.

Greg Burke, Fox's Rome-based roving correspondent for Europe and the Middle East, will become a "senior communications adviser" to the Secretariat of State, the key department in the Vatican's central bureaucracy.

Burke, 52, a native of St Louis Missouri, has been working for Fox for 10 years. Before that he worked for Time magazine in Rome. He has also written several books, one about an Italian soccer team.

The source said the Vatican was expected to announce the appointment soon.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2012 - 4:34PM #2
GodtheFather

Onion...

and I didnt bother to read it, LOL

The best lack all conviction yet the worst are filled with passionate intensity.

Yates
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2012 - 4:37PM #3
happygardener

I've suspected for some time that the Fox News channel may be part of the EWTN network.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2012 - 4:40PM #4
GodtheFather

GEE, all we need is a Mormon in the White House now.

We've already had a moron. Tongue Out

The best lack all conviction yet the worst are filled with passionate intensity.

Yates
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2012 - 4:53PM #5
miknik5

Jun 23, 2012 -- 4:28PM, WaveringCC wrote:

The Vatican has hired an American journalist from the Fox News Network and member of the conservative Catholic group Opus Dei to help improve its relations with the media, a senior Church source said on Saturday.

Greg Burke, Fox's Rome-based roving correspondent for Europe and the Middle East, will become a "senior communications adviser" to the Secretariat of State, the key department in the Vatican's central bureaucracy.

Burke, 52, a native of St Louis Missouri, has been working for Fox for 10 years. Before that he worked for Time magazine in Rome. He has also written several books, one about an Italian soccer team.

All this talk is foreign to me...do you care to explain all the slang to a simple woman who doesn't understand this type of talk?

What is a reuter and what is an onion.  I do sense that you are being sarcastic?  but this language again, is foreign and I feel really ignorant.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2012 - 5:47PM #6
WaveringCC

Jun 23, 2012 -- 4:53PM, miknik5 wrote:

All this talk is foreign to me...do you care to explain all the slang to a simple woman who doesn't understand this type of talk?

What is a reuter and what is an onion.  I do sense that you are being sarcastic?  but this language again, is foreign and I feel really ignorant.

Yes, I was being sarcastic with the rhetorical question - related to the story headline about the Vatican becoming "Fair and Balanced".  Many believe that it is an oxymoron to link the Vatican with "fair and balanced". Given that, the thread topic implies perhaps the story wasn't real, but one of the parodies The Onion is well known for.  I'm sorry the names confused you though.

Reuters is a major international news service. You can read about it by clicking on this link.

The Onion is a satirical online 'newspaper" - it is not real. You can read about it by clicking on this second link.

You can link to The Onion itself, by clicking on this third link.

However, the story is real and was reported by Reuters and many other news agencies.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2012 - 7:20PM #7
GodtheFather

Jun 23, 2012 -- 4:53PM, miknik5 wrote:

miknik,

many of us have been posting here for a while, some of us off and on. If there is any jargon you don't understand feel free to ask.

We are all on a journey and for some of us it has led here.

GTF

Yates
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2012 - 8:16PM #8
cherubino

I suppose this is no time to bring up brown scapulars and novenas.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2012 - 8:41PM #9
GodtheFather

LOL

Yates
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2012 - 3:10AM #10
adamcro-magnon

Appealing the Onion will only reduce us to tears of ........!

ACM 

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook