Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View The Testimony of Tom Cantor
2 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2012 - 7:59AM #1
river8101

A polite young lady came to my door a few days ago and gave me a DVD.  Didn't ask for money.  There was a pix of a man on the front sitting in front of a large window with a Temple outside. At the bottom it read:  "A Message of Hope and Gladness for the Jewish People.   On the back was a pix of the Wall, with people praying.  The DVD was completely wrapped carefully in cellephane and a card inside the cellephane had the same man as on the front, with large letters saying FRIENDSHIP WITH GOD.  The lady asked me if this was a Jewish home?  I laughed and said "This whole block is Jewish homes!"  She gave me the tape, which looked entirely innocent and I closed my door and put the DVD on a table. (likely not intending to watch it.)

This morning, I checked on the tape again.  This time I looked at it more carefully, and found on the back side of the tape...tiny letters at the bottom.   For more information contact Israel Restoration Ministries.  The word Ministries gave it away. I knew it was Christian.  Next thing was to check the Internet.  My suspicions were correct.  It was an evangelical Christian tape put out by a man who apparently was either a preacher or a convert.  I was right.  If you're Jewish and someone gives you a DVD at your door, just a warning, it's an evangelical Christian DVD. 

Here's more info from the internet:  www.israelrestoration.org/faq-about-jewi...

www.israelrestoration.org/messiah-truths...

PS  I threw the tape away.  What really made me mad, was how deceptive this was.  The girl who gave me this tape did not identify herself as a Christian.  She asked me if this was a Jewish home, before actually handing it to me, and I assumed, (never assume) she was a Jewish girl, as the tape looked to be about Judaism and Israel.  Instead, as i checked on the internet, it was a Christian evangelical tape directed at Jews. 

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2012 - 1:03PM #2
LeahOne

Yup.  That's the way they roll - crooked, deceptive, dishonest......  They aren't very good Christians, either.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2012 - 6:02AM #3
river8101

Obviously.  Her silence was the same as a lie. 

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2012 - 11:57AM #4
rocketjsquirell

The whole MJ racket is a lie

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2012 - 6:10PM #5
mira1213

Hi all.  I haven't posted in years, but I do drop by every once in a long while to see what's going on.  I had to add to River's agitation about the  Messiantics.  I got a book in the mail the other day, sent to my address by someone named Sid Israel Roth.  The letter accompanying the book, deceptively called "They Thought For Themselves - Ten Amazing Jews", introduced the author as an American-Israeli Holocaust survivor, and talked about how reading the book would change our lives.  You guessed it... all the stories talked about Yeshua.  Actually... I don't know about all the individual stories.  I saw the word Yeshua when I flipped it open and felt physically ill.  I didn't bother to read it, just trashed it in the circular file.  How disgusting can you get?  Someone had to find my name in the phone book or something.  If any of you get this in the mail, don't even bother to open it.  Thanks for listening to the vent. 

Mormons and J's Witnesses come to my door occasionally.  At least I know what they are about when they do.  This 'mail' invasion felt downright violating.  And I LOVE books.  It hurt to throw a book in the trash. 

Hope you are all well.

Mira

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2012 - 6:46PM #6
river8101

Humm, never had a Mormon, but plenty of JW's.   I cannot understand what they hope to gain in Jewish neighborhoods.  NO one is interested in anything they have to say.  Once I got something off of one of the Jewish websites, put it in an envelope and told them I would take their papers if they would take mine.  They ran away, and started running down the street.  Jumped in a waiting car and off they went.  The idiots.   But, they never came again. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2012 - 7:27PM #7
rocketjsquirell

Generally speaking Mormon Missionaries will not ring the bell if they see a mezzuzah on the door post. However, this does not protect you if you are gardening in the front lawn. I have been approached by Mormon Missionaries a few times. They are generally polite and go away once you tell them you are Jewish and are really not interested. (If it happens to be a hot day, feel free to offer them lemonade or ice water, they put in a long day attempting spiritual genocide) Getting rid of the JW, and assorted Bible thumpers is much harder. I have found that telling them I have no wish to worship dead people sometimes does the trick. Sometimes asking them questions such as "is salvation through grace or through works?" helps. Actually asking them about any of the major theological debates within Protestant Christian theology usually works, as they usually have no idea what you are talking about.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2012 - 5:29AM #8
river8101

First of all there is a mezzuzah on my front door.  I wonder if they're taught to recognize them, so as to know what houses to go to.  Not all Jews put them on their doorposts.

Leah, you and my other friends here know that my post was to report "Israel Restoration Ministries"  a society who sends someone to your door, pretending they are Jewish, and gives you an Evangelical Christian DVD that's made up to look Jewish.  This is the first time I've ever encountered someone from that society.   I did not mention anyone's name on this forum in my opening post.   Naturally the one evangelist on this forum thinks everything is about her.  She has nothing better to do with her time.

The Jehovah Witness "Watchtower" people don't pretend to be Jews.  You know who they are because the literature they bring identifies them.   Sometimes they ask for a donation.  The young lady who came to my house did not identify herself.   But she did identify herself when she gave me a DVD that certainly appeared to be Jewish, so that I would take it and hopefully watch it.   I've never had any Mormon's come to my house, and I've lived here for many, many years.  I don't think Mormons even evangelize in this neighborhood.   Think they're probably more interested in Christians than Jews.  In fact, no one has ever come to this house to evangelize except the Jehovah Witnesses. 

I blame myself too.  I should have asked her what the tape was about before taking it.  But she was so smooth and friendly and young, and the tape so decorated to look Jewish, it never crossed my mind she was a Christian evangelist.   Mostly the only strangers who come to our house are selling something, like magazines, or they want to cut your lawn or paint your house, etc.  (Still waiting for that guy who washed windows to come back.)  We have lots of windows!    This gal was a first for me.  But I'll be more careful next time.   Thanks for all your comments. 

PS  Their e-mail address was on the internet, and I wrote them a short nasty letter. Told them I was putting their address on the internet in case a Jewish person takes one without knowing in advance who they really are.  A nest of liars.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2012 - 12:09PM #9
mainecaptain

River, Leah and I are good friends. I would dare say we actually have affection for each other. I know I do.  They are both considerate, caring, loving people.

They just don't appreciate people who lie, or try and commit spiritual genocide.  And neither do I.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2012 - 12:23PM #10
river8101

Thank you Maine.  You're a good friend.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook