Post Reply
Page 1 of 53  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 53 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Does the Bible know about Islam?
2 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2012 - 1:51PM #1
BDboy
Posts: 5,425
 Muslims always claim that, Judaism, Christianity and Islam comes form the SAME source. Muslims have faith in most historical figures described in the Bible and the Qur'an.

A convert to Islam (We call them revert as well) wrote a book on this topic. She is from the UK and gave many lectures on Islam in America as well. I'll share a bit from the article.
Please click on the link below and read the article...

DOES THE BIBLE KNOW ABOUT ISLAM?

Ruqaiyyah Waris Maqsood





If the Arabian prophet Muhammad (Allah bless him and give him peace) is to be considered part of the same stream of tradition as the other great prophets of that stretch of desert land, can we identify any mention of him in the Bible texts?


          Muslims regard Muhammad as the final prophet, the seal over all who went before him. Can we find any forth-tellings of his coming in the present-day Christian scriptures; or would any such prophecy been a prime candidate for redaction and censorship, so that at best such anticipations today appear in heavily disguised form, legible only to the expert? This is an important matter. For if it is true that Muhammad must be recognised as a Messenger of God by people of Christian or Jewish inheritance, it would surely be strange if their texts included prophecies referring to the penultimate Messenger, but lacked indications of the later Seal who was to come.


          In fact, the Old and New Testaments do contain evidence that there existed an expectation not only of a Messiah for the Jewish people, but also of another prophetic figure whose time would come later.[1] One very important prophecy of this type is the one attributed to Moses, and recorded in Deuteronomy 18:



The Lord said to me [Moses] […] ‘I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their brethren; and I will put My word in his mouth, and he shall speak to them all that I command him. And whoever will not give heed to My words which he shall speak in My name, I Myself will require it of him.’ […] And if you say it in your heart, ‘How may we know the word which the Lord has not spoken?’ – when a prophet speaks in the name of the Lord, if the word does not come to pass or come true, that is a word which the Lord has not spoken; the prophet has spoken it presumptuously, you need not to be afraid of him (Deut 18:15-22).



In these words the author, perhaps Moses himself, sets the criterion for knowing the truth of a prophecy. Needless to say, it would also apply to his own prophecy with which he commenced this passage. If Moses himself, as a man who was himself recognised as a prophet of God, was not ‘speaking presumptuously’, then one should expect the foretold event to come to pass. Did it? Who was the ‘prophet like unto him’? That description would surely signify a prophet who was called to be a lawgiver to the people, setting out God’s commandments clearly for the masses to listen and understand. Which prophet fits most closely to one who had the words of God put into his mouth, so that he repeated to the people all that he heard from God? A Christian might like to see a reference to the coming of Jesus in these words, but surely none fits the description more closely than the Blessed Muhammad.[2]......................

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2012 - 3:01PM #2
browbeaten
Posts: 3,089

Jun 21, 2012 -- 1:51PM, BDboy wrote:

 Muslims always claim that, Judaism, Christianity and Islam comes form the SAME source. Muslims have faith in most historical figures described in the Bible and the Qur'an.

A convert to Islam (We call them revert as well) wrote a book on this topic. She is from the UK and gave many lectures on Islam in America as well. I'll share a bit from the article.
Please click on the link below and read the article...

DOES THE BIBLE KNOW ABOUT ISLAM?


Ruqaiyyah Waris Maqsood





If the Arabian prophet Muhammad (Allah bless him and give him peace) is to be considered part of the same stream of tradition as the other great prophets of that stretch of desert land, can we identify any mention of him in the Bible texts?


          Muslims regard Muhammad as the final prophet, the seal over all who went before him. Can we find any forth-tellings of his coming in the present-day Christian scriptures; or would any such prophecy been a prime candidate for redaction and censorship, so that at best such anticipations today appear in heavily disguised form, legible only to the expert? This is an important matter. For if it is true that Muhammad must be recognised as a Messenger of God by people of Christian or Jewish inheritance, it would surely be strange if their texts included prophecies referring to the penultimate Messenger, but lacked indications of the later Seal who was to come.


          In fact, the Old and New Testaments do contain evidence that there existed an expectation not only of a Messiah for the Jewish people, but also of another prophetic figure whose time would come later.[1] One very important prophecy of this type is the one attributed to Moses, and recorded in Deuteronomy 18:



The Lord said to me [Moses] […] ‘I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their brethren; and I will put My word in his mouth, and he shall speak to them all that I command him. And whoever will not give heed to My words which he shall speak in My name, I Myself will require it of him.’ […] And if you say it in your heart, ‘How may we know the word which the Lord has not spoken?’ – when a prophet speaks in the name of the Lord, if the word does not come to pass or come true, that is a word which the Lord has not spoken; the prophet has spoken it presumptuously, you need not to be afraid of him (Deut 18:15-22).



In these words the author, perhaps Moses himself, sets the criterion for knowing the truth of a prophecy. Needless to say, it would also apply to his own prophecy with which he commenced this passage. If Moses himself, as a man who was himself recognised as a prophet of God, was not ‘speaking presumptuously’, then one should expect the foretold event to come to pass. Did it? Who was the ‘prophet like unto him’? That description would surely signify a prophet who was called to be a lawgiver to the people, setting out God’s commandments clearly for the masses to listen and understand. Which prophet fits most closely to one who had the words of God put into his mouth, so that he repeated to the people all that he heard from God? A Christian might like to see a reference to the coming of Jesus in these words, but surely none fits the description more closely than the Blessed Muhammad.[2]......................




He fits as closely as Joseph Smith or David Koresh.


Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2012 - 3:25PM #3
rocketjsquirell
Posts: 15,739

Brow



I was just about to note the same thing. We can add to the list: Mary Baker Eddy, Bahá’u’lláh, Ann Lee, and just about every other person who believed that they had a message from G-d. 


As I have said before, there is absolutely no direct connection between either Judaism or Christianity and Islam. The founders of Islam made a conscious choice to adopt some aspects of Jewish and Christian traditions and some of the founding mythologies of Jews and Christians into Islam. The founders of Islam also made a conscious choice to adopt some aspects of other religious traditions and founding mythologies into Islam. The fact that they did so is neither surprising nor out of the ordinary. However, it is even more nonsensical to say that the bible foretells Islam than to say that the Bible foretells Jesus, which is pure, unadulterated hokum.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2012 - 5:18PM #4
Aka_me
Posts: 12,095

Jun 21, 2012 -- 3:25PM, rocketjsquirell wrote:

The founders of Islam made a conscious choice to adopt some aspects of Jewish and Christian traditions and some of the founding mythologies of Jews and Christians into Islam. The founders of Islam also made a conscious choice to adopt some aspects of other religious traditions and founding mythologies into Islam. The fact that they did so is neither surprising nor out of the ordinary. However, it is even more nonsensical to say that the bible foretells Islam than to say that the Bible foretells Jesus, which is pure, unadulterated hokum.



I think it would be important to distinguish between spirituality and religion when referring to "the founders of Islam".


there is revelation from the Prophets Moses, Jesus, Muhammad (spirituality), and there are human influences by those showing up afterward (religion: Orthodox/Reformed, Catholic/Bapist, Shia/Sunni).


who are you referring to when you say "the founders of Islam"?

there can be no meaning or value to life, in a universe devoid of meaning and value... because the moment those who knew you are gone, you will never have existed at all.

if you see anyone not screaming at the top of their lungs THE SKY IS FALLING BECAUSE OF GLOBAL WARMING! then for prophet Gore's sake help them see the light that doing so is the only means we have of getting off fossil fuel.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2012 - 5:47PM #5
Miraj
Posts: 5,021

The founder of Islam is the one true God.  He has no co-founders.

Disclaimer: The opinions of this member are not primarily informed by western ethnocentric paradigms, stereotypes rooted in anti-Muslim/Islam hysteria, "Israel can do no wrong" intransigence, or the perceived need to protect the Judeo-Christian world from invading foreign religions and legal concepts.  By expressing such views, no inherent attempt is being made to derail or hijack threads, but that may be the result.  The result is not the responsibility of this member.


PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2012 - 6:07PM #6
browbeaten
Posts: 3,089

Jun 21, 2012 -- 5:47PM, Miraj wrote:


The founder of Islam is the one true God.  He has no co-founders.




Then how do you believe Mohammed passed down his word?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2012 - 6:09PM #7
rocketjsquirell
Posts: 15,739

Miraj


Islam was founded by Mohamed and his followers, not G-d. Islam is a religion which arose out of a particular society in a particular place at a particular time and it bears all of the hallmarks of having done so. 


Obviously for those who believe Islam to be the singular creation of G-d the facts and the documented historical evidence concerning the development of Islam in this world are unimportant. Since I am not one of those people, I prefer history, sociology, ethnology, etc... You can take any position you wish concerning the origins of Islam as long as you understand the position you are taking and why. 


Faith is faith. Facts are facts. Sometimes they coincide, sometimes they do not. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2012 - 6:11PM #8
visio
Posts: 3,250

Jun 21, 2012 -- 5:47PM, Miraj wrote:


The founder of Islam is the one true God.  He has no co-founders.





Exactly!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2012 - 6:20PM #9
Aka_me
Posts: 12,095

Jun 21, 2012 -- 5:47PM, Miraj wrote:

The founder of Islam is the one true God.  He has no co-founders.



did Allah create Sunni and Shia divisions and disagreements?


if God is One... should not Islam be one as well?

there can be no meaning or value to life, in a universe devoid of meaning and value... because the moment those who knew you are gone, you will never have existed at all.

if you see anyone not screaming at the top of their lungs THE SKY IS FALLING BECAUSE OF GLOBAL WARMING! then for prophet Gore's sake help them see the light that doing so is the only means we have of getting off fossil fuel.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2012 - 6:54PM #10
visio
Posts: 3,250

Jun 21, 2012 -- 6:09PM, rocketjsquirell wrote:


Miraj


...................................... 


Faith is faith. Facts are facts. Sometimes they coincide, sometimes they do not. 





Yes, I like that.  Such as about the timing of the event of Sarah & Ismael being harassed out by Sarah which landed them in the faraway barren and deserted Makkah.  A thousand year after the event ALLAHswt revealed to Muhammadsaw (as recorded in a hadith) refuting the timing as then recorded in the Bible which said it took place when Ismael was fourten.  The hadith says it was when Ismael was still a breast-sucking toddler.   considering the time gap, I would believe divine words more than any of man, woman and jinn.  Wouldn't you?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 53  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 53 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook