Page 4 of 9  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next
Switch to Forum Live View BoM as American Literature
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 12:51PM #31
mecdukebec

Jun 22, 2012 -- 12:32PM, wohali wrote:

Asking for references is bad?

What color is the sky in your world?

Well, FAIR/FARMS produces non-refereed materials, and the yokels applaud.  Mormonism can't survive outside the environment.

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 1:43PM #32
Aka_me

Jun 22, 2012 -- 1:14AM, Ironhold wrote:

In other words, it rankles you that a non-Mormon thinks highly of the BoM and so you're not going to rest until you browbeat him into submission.

Is that about it?

it's not about what 1 non-mormon thinks about the BoM. this Paul Gutjahr person who wrote a book CLAIMING that some group of scholars have publicly expressed an opinion...

had better be prepared to substantiate this claim.

it works just like academic integrity. this is a published falsehood which requires having shinanigans called on it.

the search for truth can at times be a double edged sword...

and LDS demonstrate time and again how they have no interest in truth, simply maintaining testimony.

there can be no meaning or value to life, in a universe devoid of meaning and value... because the moment those who knew you are gone, you will never have existed at all.

if you see anyone not screaming at the top of their lungs THE SKY IS FALLING BECAUSE OF GLOBAL WARMING! then for prophet Gore's sake help them see the light that doing so is the only means we have of getting off fossil fuel.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 4:48PM #33
Ironhold

There's a difference between "I'd like to know what references a person is citing" and "SOMEONE DARES TO DISAGREE WITH ME?!".

A certain someone's default mode is the latter.

It's a long, long story.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 4:49PM #34
Ironhold

Jun 22, 2012 -- 1:43PM, Aka_me wrote:

Jun 22, 2012 -- 1:14AM, Ironhold wrote:

In other words, it rankles you that a non-Mormon thinks highly of the BoM and so you're not going to rest until you browbeat him into submission.

Is that about it?

it's not about what 1 non-mormon thinks about the BoM. this Paul Gutjahr person who wrote a book CLAIMING that some group of scholars have publicly expressed an opinion...

had better be prepared to substantiate this claim.

it works just like academic integrity. this is a published falsehood which requires having shinanigans called on it.

the search for truth can at times be a double edged sword...

and LDS demonstrate time and again how they have no interest in truth, simply maintaining testimony.

...or it could just be that the information is in the book itself.

Did you ever think of that?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 5:10PM #35
mecdukebec

Jun 22, 2012 -- 4:48PM, Ironhold wrote:

There's a difference between "I'd like to know what references a person is citing" and "SOMEONE DARES TO DISAGREE WITH ME?!".

A certain someone's default mode is the latter.

It's a long, long story.

Actually, self-pronouncing something, as when an LDS says "I win!" then exits a discussion, is different from asking someone to check their homework, and show it; if that appears new to you, then you need to check what academic reference work is. 

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 6:40PM #36
wohali

"There's a difference between "I'd like to know what references a person is citing" and "SOMEONE DARES TO DISAGREE WITH ME?!".

"A certain someone's default mode is the latter."

But I find your posts entertaining anyway...............

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2012 - 12:23AM #37
Habala?!

Jun 22, 2012 -- 4:48PM, Ironhold wrote:

That's not what Me said at all. Nobody but you read it that way. Show us where we are wrong. Its time for you to put up or shut up. You have a history of dodging the former and doing the latter. Example; its been many months and you still haven't refuted a single thing posted in the Nauvoo Expositor.

"When you walk, you might like to take the hand of a child. She will receive your concentration and stability, and you will receive her freshness and innocence." -Tich Naht Hanh
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2012 - 7:10AM #38
Ironhold

Jun 23, 2012 -- 12:23AM, Habala?! wrote:

That's not what Me said at all. Nobody but you read it that way. Show us where we are wrong. Its time for you to put up or shut up. You have a history of dodging the former and doing the latter. Example; its been many months and you still haven't refuted a single thing posted in the Nauvoo Expositor.

PM sent.

Suffice to say that his lengthy posting history gives him away.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2012 - 8:25AM #39
mecdukebec

Jun 23, 2012 -- 7:10AM, Ironhold wrote:

Jun 23, 2012 -- 12:23AM, Habala?! wrote:

PM sent.

Suffice to say that his lengthy posting history gives him away.

And yet, Aka_me, asked an appropriate question in re: what scholars, what consensus in re: the BoM.   It's entirely appropriate, and germane to the subject.    Any conclusory statement, i.e. "There's a scholarly consensus because I said so." is not scholarship, but makes one feel good. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2012 - 2:39PM #40
Ironhold

Jun 23, 2012 -- 8:25AM, mecdukebec wrote:

And yet, Aka_me, asked an appropriate question in re: what scholars, what consensus in re: the BoM.   It's entirely appropriate, and germane to the subject.    Any conclusory statement, i.e. "There's a scholarly consensus because I said so." is not scholarship, but makes one feel good. 

Personally, I'm going to wait until the book comes out so that I can actually examine it in person.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 9  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook