Page 1 of 12  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Major Threat to Religion? Clergy People Coming Out as Atheists
2 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2012 - 6:37PM #1
steven_guy
I saw the link to this on Facebook. It may be of interest to members of this forum, particularly for a couple of the theists whose faith seems to have been in crisis for some years now.

www.alternet.org/belief/155798/major_thr... 
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2012 - 7:07PM #2
chevy956

Not a surprise, as careful study of the New Testament in a non-fundamentalist/literralist setting shows that the books are easily falsified and not useful as an actual source of factual information, and contain little in the way of historical truth. When the mythos is stripped away from the books, one is left with a rather mediocre set of philosophical teachings which don't hold a candle to the best traditional Jewish teaching.

Ministers don't tell their congregations this info, because they want to keep their gigs. I salute those who are honest enough to  come out as atheists. Hopefully they have other work lined up.

Chevy

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2012 - 8:35PM #3
farragut

It is such a good thing. Estimates are that if and when the project can offer significant help with retraining and placement, we will see tens of thousands leaving the pulpit.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2012 - 9:24PM #4
JCarlin

Jun 11, 2012 -- 7:07PM, chevy956 wrote:

Ministers don't tell their congregations this info, because they want to keep their gigs. I salute those who are honest enough to  come out as atheists. Hopefully they have other work lined up.

Chevy

It is not necessary to believe in Hamlet to play Hamlet.  I suspect that many Ministers, Pastors, and Priests can see the value of belief for parishioners, and perform the rituals etc, for their benefit regardless of their personal beliefs. 

I don't believe any part of the Mass, but have performed it in services for the benefit of the parishioners.  It is not important whether I believe or not if I can make the Mass live for a believer. 

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2012 - 10:03PM #5
chevy956

Jun 11, 2012 -- 9:24PM, JCarlin wrote:

Jun 11, 2012 -- 7:07PM, chevy956 wrote:

Chevy

It is not necessary to believe in Hamlet to play Hamlet.  I suspect that many Ministers, Pastors, and Priests can see the value of belief for parishioners, and perform the rituals etc, for their benefit regardless of their personal beliefs. 

I don't believe any part of the Mass, but have performed it in services for the benefit of the parishioners.  It is not important whether I believe or not if I can make the Mass live for a believer. 

JC

Point taken regarding performance of sacred music. I also have frequently been a guest performer with church groups and make it a point to be respectful of those for whom I perform and desire to make the music a wonderful part of their experience. 

I can understand a congregation like UU having an atheist for a minister. I suppose that Hamlet and "God" can both be seen as characters and of coruse there is the link bewteen church and theater dating back to ancient Greece when plays were originally part of sacred ritual. Thanks for broadening my perspective.

Cheers- Chevy

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2012 - 10:22PM #6
teilhard

One of my Seminary ClassMates "lost his Faith" very shortly after Graduation ... In Conversation with him, I learned that he hadn't much in the way of Real Faith anyway, so losing it didn't take much for HIM ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2012 - 10:40PM #7
mountain_man

I'm not surprised. When one studies that religion too much they find out that it's a load of manure. I know a guy with a doctorate in biblical studies. He said he learned so much about the christian religion and the bible that he can't believe any of it.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2012 - 11:05PM #8
teilhard

Everyone eventually decides such Questions for her/himself ...

Jun 11, 2012 -- 10:40PM, mountain_man wrote:

I'm not surprised. When one studies that religion too much they find out that it's a load of manure. I know a guy with a doctorate in biblical studies. He said he learned so much about the christian religion and the bible that he can't believe any of it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2012 - 11:10PM #9
chevy956

Jun 11, 2012 -- 10:22PM, teilhard wrote:

One of my Seminary ClassMates "lost his Faith" very shortly after Graduation ... In Conversation with him, I learned that he hadn't much in the way of Real Faith anyway, so losing it didn't take much for HIM ...

Some people eventually figure out that "Real Faith" equals willingness to believe utter nonsense. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2012 - 11:32PM #10
teilhard

The Early Christians were often denounced as "Atheists" by Traditional Romans because The Christians REFUSED to Honor The Traditional Pantheon ... AND they (like the equally weird "Jews") declined to represent "God" in any permanent Image ... 

So, this is NOT a NEW Problem ... Most of us Got Over It long ago ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 12  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook