Page 12 of 12  •  Prev 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12
Switch to Forum Live View Major Threat to Religion? Clergy People Coming Out as Atheists
2 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2012 - 10:25PM #111
teilhard

One of the "Atheist" Belief-Net Regulars used to post to me -- routinely -- "You're a Bigot. You hate Atheists. Blow it out your Ass."

I haven't responded to her/his Posts for now a few Years ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2012 - 10:37PM #112
mountain_man

Jun 16, 2012 -- 12:04PM, Ken wrote:

...and you're wasting your time. Just leave it alone.

That's right. Don't feed the trolls.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2012 - 10:48PM #113
teilhard

I try to avoid "feeding Trolls," too ...

But ... Sometimes they're like ... "Pigeons in The Park" ...

They show up and LOOK so CUTE ... and ... It's hard to resist sharing a few Bits of PopCorn, eh ... ???

Jun 16, 2012 -- 10:37PM, mountain_man wrote:

Jun 16, 2012 -- 12:04PM, Ken wrote:

...and you're wasting your time. Just leave it alone.

That's right. Don't feed the trolls.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2012 - 11:50AM #114
farragut

I like Tom Lehrer's approach to pigeons.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2012 - 1:58PM #115
teilhard

We had a Problem a couple Weeks ago with some cute little Red Squirrels having moved into a Wall of our House ... We first tried  "Live Trapping" them, but the little Critters always escaped ... So we had to resort to Rat Traps ... We got five in four Days ...

Jun 17, 2012 -- 11:50AM, farragut wrote:

I like Tom Lehrer's approach to pigeons.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2012 - 9:23AM #116
IDBC

Howdy

In what is perhaps a futile attempt to return to the topic of this thread which is not about past slights, rats, pigeons or even god but is about

Major Threat to Religion? Clergy People Coming Out as Atheists.

I will answer the question:

I do not think that "Clergy Coming Out as Atheist" is as yet, a major threat to religion in the United States.  I first heard of this "Project"  when I attended the Reason Rally and The American Atheists Conference in Washington D.C.  

The purpose-misson of this Project is to encourage those clergy who have "lost their faith in the existence of god" to the degree that they no longer think or believe that god does exist. 

I do think that there are many clergy that have lost their faith-belief in the existence of god because they have come to the conclusion that god does not exist.

How many of them have reached this conclusion, who have lost their faith-belief I do not know.

How many of them will be encouraged to "Come Out"  I do not know. 

I think that there are more clergy who are....closet Atheists then there are those who will publicly "Come Out" and admit to their congregations that they are Atheists.

Doing so will certainly cause them to be socially ostracized-shunned not only by their congregations but also by other Christians in the larger community that they live in and by their families.  Some of those who have "Come Out" have been divorced by their spouses and their children no longer speak to them.  Which is understandable. 

I think it is fairly safe to conclude that those who do "Come Out" to their congregations will lose their jobs. 

The  Clegy Project provides counseling to those who have "Come Out" to help them deal with the ostracisim-shunning by their family and community. 

They also provide career counseling and finacial support for those who are no longer have a source of income due to their loss of employment. 

For further details:

www.clergyproject.org/

In closing I respectivly request that both Atheists and Theists answer the question

Major Threat to Religion? Clergy People Coming Out as Atheists

Then if you want to digress-meander to other related subjects or vent and rant do so. 

HAVE A THINKING DAY MAY REASON GUIDE YOU
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2012 - 1:23PM #117
teilhard

***IOW, you concede that your Speculation (below) has no demonstrable Basis in known Facts ...

I agree ...

Jun 21, 2012 -- 9:23AM, IDBC wrote:

Howdy

In what is perhaps a futile attempt to return to the topic of this thread which is not about past slights, rats, pigeons or even god but is about

Major Threat to Religion? Clergy People Coming Out as Atheists.

I will answer the question:

I do not think that "Clergy Coming Out as Atheist" is as yet, a major threat to religion in the United States.  I first heard of this "Project"  when I attended the Reason Rally and The American Atheists Conference in Washington D.C.  

The purpose-misson of this Project is to encourage those clergy who have "lost their faith in the existence of god" to the degree that they no longer think or believe that god does exist. 

***I do think that there are many clergy that have lost their faith-belief in the existence of god because they have come to the conclusion that god does not exist.

***How many of them have reached this conclusion, who have lost their faith-belief I do not know.

How many of them will be encouraged to "Come Out"  I do not know. 

I think that there are more clergy who are....closet Atheists then there are those who will publicly "Come Out" and admit to their congregations that they are Atheists.

Doing so will certainly cause them to be socially ostracized-shunned not only by their congregations but also by other Christians in the larger community that they live in and by their families.  Some of those who have "Come Out" have been divorced by their spouses and their children no longer speak to them.  Which is understandable. 

I think it is fairly safe to conclude that those who do "Come Out" to their congregations will lose their jobs. 

The  Clegy Project provides counseling to those who have "Come Out" to help them deal with the ostracisim-shunning by their family and community. 

They also provide career counseling and finacial support for those who are no longer have a source of income due to their loss of employment. 

For further details:

www.clergyproject.org/

In closing I respectivly request that both Atheists and Theists answer the question

Major Threat to Religion? Clergy People Coming Out as Atheists

Then if you want to digress-meander to other related subjects or vent and rant do so. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2012 - 2:47PM #118
JCarlin

Jun 21, 2012 -- 9:23AM, IDBC wrote:

I think a more important threat to religion is clergy that are functionally atheist or at least humanist and who are not out.  While they still can put on a convincing "show" there is a lot in that show that can be spun in a more humanist and less insular manner than is usual for the traditionalist clergy.  Simply changing the emphasis away from Paul can make a major difference in the tone of the service.  No real evidence, or statistics, but I have been to Catholic and mainstream Protestant services that feel almost UU. 

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2012 - 3:04PM #119
farragut

" but I have been to Catholic and mainstream Protestant services that feel almost UU."

Most of the Methodists that I have known in the last 20-30 years have tended so.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 4:50PM #120
teilhard

I don't see "Ecumenism" as anything like a LOSS of either Faith or Belief ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 12 of 12  •  Prev 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook