Page 3 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 4:36AM #21
in_my_opinion

Jun 11, 2012 -- 7:36PM, Aka_me wrote:

Jun 11, 2012 -- 7:31PM, wohali wrote:

Atheism is the lack of belief in any god(s).

Period.

thank you for your opinion, but it belongs in the Discuss Atheism forum.

The opinion belongs anywhere it is welcome; and it is welcome here!

Hope that this is spoken for all of us! Hospitality is a virtue we believe in!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 4:38AM #22
in_my_opinion

Jun 11, 2012 -- 7:51PM, chevy956 wrote:

Jun 11, 2012 -- 7:36PM, Aka_me wrote:

Jun 11, 2012 -- 7:31PM, wohali wrote:

Atheism is the lack of belief in any god(s).

Period.

thank you for your opinion, but it belongs in the Discuss Atheism forum.

The subject of the thread is speculation on why Baha'i's here on Bnet are interested in Atheism. Wo isn't off topic.

Amen to that, sibling!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 5:10AM #23
in_my_opinion

Jun 10, 2012 -- 11:46PM, chevy956 wrote:

Thanks for the detailed response. I'm a former Baha'i, so unbeknownst to you ,you were preaching to an ex-choir member. 

If you believe in any kind of god, whether transcendent or otherwise, you aren't an atheist. Baha'i's aren't atheists.

Respectfully, Chevy

Completely agree with that!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 5:14AM #24
in_my_opinion

Jun 11, 2012 -- 12:33AM, Aka_me wrote:

Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.

Deities are depicted in a variety of forms, but are also frequently expressed as having human form.

in respect to corporeal gods (Odin, Zeus, Ra, Baal, Green Man, or Kolobian heavenly father)...

Baha'i reject belief in their existence. making them figurine atheists. when there's 37 different flavors of atheism, what difference does one more type make?

obeying the Great Commandment, and believing Jesus to be Christ makes them Christian.

"if thou callest them all by one name and dost ascribe to them the same attribute, thou hast not erred from the truth."

implicitly makes them believers in the prophets all major religions: Zoroaster, Moses, Buddha, Jesus, Muhammad, Abraham, Krishna

culminating in the sum total of Baha'i.

yes... this causes great suffering for some people. and I can't make that my problem. because the suffering was already there before it became directed at me and it will be there long after I'm gone.

Couldn't find any site discussing "figurine atheist". Is that a neologism available somewhere or did you create the term yourself?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 9:05AM #25
in_my_opinion

www.atheistcartoons.com/?paged=27

This page contains the cartoon. It's the second one from the top. Just scroll down a little.

Had a hard time finding it. He's not using his name on this site. It used to be on Cagle"s professional cartoonist's site but couldn't find it there.

He preaches vegetarianism too, now.

Evangelizing Atheists seem to be a somewhat newer phenomenon what with more books advocating variously, and large billboard advertising.

Wikipedia has an article, "New Atheism" which speaks of an approach to refuting religion and religious ideas.

Personally welcome it with open arms; because it will mean that more people will come into contact and communicate. That will in turn mean that people will dwell on their beliefs and why they hold them. The greater level of interaction will increase familiarity with ultimate concepts and sharpen critical reasoning skills. Hoping that fanaticism and/or violence don't intrude, and people get to decide for themselves without intimidation, discrimination or even ridicule.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 10:12AM #26
in_my_opinion

Jun 10, 2012 -- 1:36AM, steven_guy wrote:

I would like to know why some Bahais are so interested in atheism?

Maybe it is because many of us are the first people to become Bahá'ís in our families and the rest of us grew up with one of our major principles "The independent search after truth".

The new believers had made a sincere search and choice. Those brought up as Bahá'í children still had to choose and declare themselves independently. That probably meant curiosity and questionning was an early habit/instinct with both groups.

Since Bahá'í children are taught respect for religions and since Atheism has only recently been promoted, in the "free" world anyway, neither group would have much familiarity with it. Consequently there could be a desire to know and discuss the unfamiliar.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 12:28PM #27
Aka_me

Jun 12, 2012 -- 9:05AM, in_my_opinion wrote:

www.atheistcartoons.com/?paged=27

This page contains the cartoon. It's the second one from the top. Just scroll down a little.

only the comic in question.

the only time it's perfectly legal to shoot unarmed black people is when you have cops to plant evidence for you... turning justice into a sham.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 12:31PM #28
wohali

Maine:

"Figurine atheist???? What in the world would that be?"

Someone who doesn't believe in the plastic Jesus glued to the dashboard of their car.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 12:39PM #29
Seefan

Jun 12, 2012 -- 5:10AM, in_my_opinion wrote:

Jun 10, 2012 -- 11:46PM, chevy956 wrote:

Thanks for the detailed response. I'm a former Baha'i, so unbeknownst to you ,you were preaching to an ex-choir member. 

If you believe in any kind of god, whether transcendent or otherwise, you aren't an atheist. Baha'i's aren't atheists.

Respectfully, Chevy

Completely agree with that!

And so do I ...

Today the one overriding need is unity and harmony among the beloved of the Lord, for they should have among them but one heart and soul and should, so far as in them lieth, unitedly withstand the hostility of all the peoples of the world ... (Baha'i Writings)
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 12:54PM #30
Aka_me

Jun 12, 2012 -- 5:14AM, in_my_opinion wrote:

Couldn't find any site discussing "figurine atheist". Is that a neologism available somewhere or did you create the term yourself?

created it myself after studying implicit/explicit, positive/negative, strong/weak, soft/hard, practical/theoretical, pragmatic, apatheism, ontological, epistemological, agnostic atheism, theological noncognitivism, metaphysical atheism, axiological atheism, atheistic existentialism

and thought why not create a term just for superman corporeal gods.

19 bloody terms atheists themselve can't even determine the correct true denomination of, what difference is one more term and who has any authority to "bust" me for diluting the meaning of any further than it's already diluted? exactly, nobody!

also thought about the word EXISTS. my pencil exists, my watch exists...

does love exist? prove it.

in one sense God IS absolute existence

yet in the material sense of the word God (like love) does not exist. ergo atheist.

I believe in both love and God, yet make no attempt to prove they exist.

the only time it's perfectly legal to shoot unarmed black people is when you have cops to plant evidence for you... turning justice into a sham.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook