Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Amway or Final Fantasy XIII?
2 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2012 - 9:54PM #1
steven_guy
I was in the bath thinking about a few things recently posted here and it struck me that religions, particularly the Abrahamic ones remind me of Amway or the PS3 game Final Fantasy.

Amway, in that religions sell a product and rely on preachers and salespersons to sell the product. Some friends of mine got involved in Amway some years ago. I just about had to throw them out when they came to my home a bashed my ear about it one evening. This couple turned from being pleasant and sociable human beings into things resembling the blithering monomaniacal street preachers one occasionally encounters.  

I guess that religion can be like Final Fantasy XIII on PS3. You do it for a while, maybe sometimes each day. If you have a certain kind of personality you may get very deeply involved in it and the imaginary characters in it. The characters in it a purely human creations and they have no life outside of the game other than in pictures and figurines. moarpowah.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01...

Some people get emotionally involved in the characters and say they love them, even though these characters aren't real. Final Fantasy does have some sort of moral code and sense of honour - the characters are vastly more "moral" and "honourable" than any in the Bible. 

Final Fantasy isn't real but it can swamp a person and become part of their real life.
2.bp.blogspot.com/_tfv2hxvU3WE/TGlsBffRN...

Like the Bible, it does have an ending but some never reach it (I've been playing this game for nearly four years now, on and off).

I wonder if advanced games like Final Fantasy and similar console games will replace religions in the future? A couple of World of Warcraft players used to visit me at Borders, looking for books on the game. They were pretty obsessive about it.

If someone here or a lurker wants to start a religion based on the aforementioned game, go right ahead, but please don't say that you got the idea from me.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2012 - 11:02PM #2
Blü

If only fundamentalism were a pleasant hobby or a part-time job!

It is, alas, neither.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2012 - 9:40PM #3
LeahOne

Steven, I don't think your 'Amway' scenario very accurately represents Judaism at all.  Since we don't believe in a 'Devil' or 'Hell' anything like the Christian or Muslim versions - we have no incentive to try to 'recruit' anyone.   Nor does out teaching state that Judaism is the 'one True TRUTH' or anything like that.

Now I don't know much about the Baha'i who are also 'Abrahamics' - but simply because Christianity and Islam present themselves in a certain way, is no guarantee that Judaism holds the same views.   And I suspect that will also go for Baha'i.

If I'm going to be completely accurate about it - many Christians and Muslims don't even hold the views ascribed to their faiths!  Given the proliferation of sects within Christianity and the lack of a 'creed' in Islam beyond the statement of faith - it's quite impossible to determine what is 'the' true doctrine of either faith to begin with....it's really not as completely defined as some people seem to insist.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2012 - 9:41PM #4
LeahOne

I haven't gotten to FF 8 yet.... but there are several FRP campaigns I've played in which have some pretty interesting religions.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2012 - 9:59AM #5
steven_guy

Jun 4, 2012 -- 9:41PM, LeahOne wrote:

I haven't gotten to FF 8 yet.... but there are several FRP campaigns I've played in which have some pretty interesting religions.

Well, if a religion was ever developed from FF it would be a particularly enlightened and feminist one. Women are the main protagonists in the series and they are always the toughest, the bravest, most resourceful, most honourable and wisest characters. The men tend to be a somewhat one dimensional and often a little goofy and childish. Two of the strongest characters in FF XIII are Fang and Vanille - a lesbian couple (there always seems to be a few gay and lesbian characters in Japanese cartoons, too - Japanese kids are being taught from a young age that being gay is no big deal). 

A religion based FF would probably be a rather good one. Even the music would be good. I have a CD of piano music from FF xiii and it is quite sophisticated music. Symphony orchestras and pianists in Japan regularly perform music from games such as this one.

I don't know how much Shinto and Buddhism have influenced the makers of FF. However, I suspect that they're all atheists, most Japanese people I know are and they're like Australians in that regard - they like the festivals and public holidays but couldn't be bothered with the belief stuff that goes with it.

We've come a long way from the days of Enid Blyton. Remember how the girls in her stories were mostly killjoys and party-poopers. When the boys were out being daring and having adventures, the girls were suggesting that everyone should be sensible and sit down and have a cup of tea.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2012 - 5:50PM #6
steven_guy

Mind you, the Baha'i faith strikes me as an "Amway" religion, like the JWs.

Moderated by Jcarlinbn on Jun 06, 2012 - 05:00PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2012 - 6:10PM #7
mainecaptain

Jun 5, 2012 -- 5:50PM, steven_guy wrote:

Baha'i faith strikes me the same way

Moderated by Jcarlinbn on Jun 06, 2012 - 05:02PM
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 06, 2012 - 3:00PM #8
Ken

Jun 5, 2012 -- 6:10PM, mainecaptain wrote:

I'm not sure. It's badly marketed. It needs a more catchy name, one without an apostrophe in it. The founder's name is worse. Bahá'u'lláh has two apostrophes and (gruesome to behold!) two diacritical marks. It looks hard to pronounce, which is a turn-off for many people. It also needs to stop calling Muhammad a Messenger of God if it wants to appeal to Westerners. Westerners aren't too crazy about Islam nowadays.

The ethics are a bit too puritanical. They need to loosen them up. They could use some nice art and music too.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 06, 2012 - 8:58PM #9
mainecaptain

Jun 6, 2012 -- 3:00PM, Ken wrote:

Jun 5, 2012 -- 6:10PM, mainecaptain wrote:

I not sure. It's badly marketed. It needs a more catchy name, one without an apostrophe in it. The founder's name is worse. Bahá'u'lláh has two apostrophes and (gruesome to behold!) two diacritical marks. It looks hard to pronounce, which is a turn-off for many people. It also needs to stop calling Muhammad a Messenger of God if it wants to appeal to Westerners. Westerners aren't too crazy about Islam nowadays.

The ethics are a bit too puritanical. They need to loosen them up. they could use some nice art and music too.

LOL, absolutely!

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2012 - 3:58PM #10
wohali

Aka_me, perhaps it isn't "jumping to conclusions", but rather responding to examples presented here?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook