Page 7 of 19  •  Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What deluded Athiest post
2 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2012 - 2:38AM #61
Eudaimonist

Jun 23, 2012 -- 12:55PM, SeraphimR wrote:

Electrons don't change.

Yes, they do.  They change in their location with respect to other entities.  They can be made to become "entangled" with other particles.

www4.ncsu.edu/unity/lockers/users/f/feld...

Electrons can also be captured in a way that changes a proton into a neutron.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_capture

eudaimonia,

Mark

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2012 - 2:40AM #62
Eudaimonist

I had written: It isn't eternal, since nothing is outside of "time".

Jun 23, 2012 -- 3:42PM, 57 wrote:

57:Now you seem to be talking in circles.  In your previous post you said..."No.  It never "just appeared".  It existed at the very beginning of time/change.  It never did not exist."

So, which is it?

Perhaps I should clarify the statement "It never did not exist", because I think its context, and therefore its intended meaning, is getting lost.

By that phrase, I'm simply reiterating that whatever existed at the beginning of time -- which I call the "cosmic egg" -- didn't appear out of nothingness.  It didn't fail to exist prior in time to its existence.  It doesn't exist in the same form now, but it is still with us in the sense that it has been changing, and what we see today is a product of that change.

What you should understand is that I don't see the universe as swimming in an ocean of time.  Rather, the universe is that ocean (of spacetime).  Time is simply a way of conceptualizing the change that is always happening.

So, the universe (by which I mean all of physical reality) is and has been changing, but it also has a start in the cosmic egg.  Imagine Doctor Who with his TARDIS, and he and his sexy but chaste companion have decided to travel back in time as far as they can.  What I am saying is that they will finally reach an earliest instant which they can't travel beyond, because there is no longer any time (that is, change) to go beyond.

What the Doctor would see at that first instant with his TARDIS isn't "nothingness", but rather the cosmic egg (an existing thing, not nothingness) already in the act of changing into something else.  Why is it changing?  Because the cosmic egg is "in time".  It is in its very nature to change, just as it is in the nature of the universe we see today to change.

So, the cosmic egg is not eternal in the sense of being out of time.  It is subject to time.  It doesn't exist in some infinite past.  It has a definite beginning to its change, and so it is a finite entity.  It isn't anything like what people tend to mean by the word "Eternal".

eudaimonia,

Mark

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2012 - 5:44PM #63
wohali

Never did find out what a "deluted atheist" is...............

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2012 - 5:47PM #64
Ken

Jun 26, 2012 -- 5:44PM, wohali wrote:

Ah, but we never cared. I doubt that we're going to be eaten up by curiosity.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2012 - 5:48PM #65
wohali

Ken, I find it amusing..............

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 27, 2012 - 4:22PM #66
cptspith

Jun 26, 2012 -- 5:47PM, Ken wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's just a misspelling of the mixture of 1 part atheist and 1 part water....

Reverend Spith
Savior of Humanity
Secular Messiah

Do not assume that which you seek to discover.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 27, 2012 - 4:44PM #67
Ken

Jun 27, 2012 -- 4:22PM, cptspith wrote:

Jun 26, 2012 -- 5:47PM, Ken wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's just a misspelling of the mixture of 1 part atheist and 1 part water....

He misspelled "atheist" too. When there are only four words in the title of your thread and you misspell two of them . . . well.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 7:41AM #68
Kwinters

Jun 3, 2012 -- 7:34PM, 57 wrote:

I give you the motor protein

Please do tell us how this incredable machine came about by random chance. 

The fact that he's used the phrase ' came about by random chance' just makes it obvious to anyone that he still doesn't have a clue as to what the theories about abiogenesis or evolution state.

Jesus had two dads, and he turned out alright.~ Andy Gussert

“Feminism has fought no wars. It has killed no opponents. It has set up no concentration camps, starved no enemies, practiced no cruelties. Its battles have been for education, for the vote, for better working conditions…for safety on the streets…for child care, for social welfare…for rape crisis centers, women’s refuges, reforms in the law.

If someone says, “Oh, I’m not a feminist,” I ask, “Why, what’s your problem?”

Dale Spender
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 9:30AM #69
chevy956

Jun 28, 2012 -- 7:41AM, Kwinters wrote:

The fact that he's used the phrase ' came about by random chance' just makes it obvious to anyone that he still doesn't have a clue as to what the theories about abiogenesis or evolution state.

Kristi,

I explained to him that natural selection is the opposite of random chance, but he still doesn't get it. Sad.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2012 - 9:52AM #70

Jun 28, 2012 -- 7:41AM, Kwinters wrote:

Seems like Kwinters need to go back to school. 

Then again maybe she believes random chance wasn't involved in the formation of the motor protein.  Perhaps she believes God directed the mutation to the precise spot(s) required for the motor protein to function....and there was no chance mutation that occurred in just the right place at just the right time. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 7 of 19  •  Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook