Page 1 of 11  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Why the Pope Hates Nuns
2 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2012 - 9:52AM #1
ted08721

"It's tempting to simply view the church hierarchy as a cult of misogyny. But at its heart, it's a cult of power; misogyny is but one tool for securing that power." 

"Roman Catholicism, in its institutional form, is imploding," Hunt told AlterNet.

"Some might see in that implosion a divine act of creative destruction. For without the institution, what remains of the church could be simply the "people of God." And in the Gospel of Matthew, that's pretty much how Jesus defined the church"

Wow very powerful article on the situation of the nuns and how it relates to what has been going on in the Church over the past 50 years that I thought I would start a new thread.

Link to whole article

www.alternet.org/story/155696/why_the_po...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2012 - 10:57AM #2
hewy1952

Jun 3, 2012 -- 9:52AM, ted08721 wrote:

"It's tempting to simply view the church hierarchy as a cult of misogyny. But at its heart, it's a cult of power; misogyny is but one tool for securing that power." 

"Roman Catholicism, in its institutional form, is imploding," Hunt told AlterNet.

"Some might see in that implosion a divine act of creative destruction. For without the institution, what remains of the church could be simply the "people of God." And in the Gospel of Matthew, that's pretty much how Jesus defined the church"

Wow very powerful article on the situation of the nuns and how it relates to what has been going on in the Church over the past 50 years that I thought I would start a new thread.

Link to whole article

www.alternet.org/story/155696/why_the_po...

Excellent article, Ted.  Anyone who has worked for Congregations of Relgious Women knows the harrowing tales of Bishops attempting to 'gain control' of the Orders and their significant assets, whether contributions, earnings on apostolates, etc.  This has a slightly different flavor, but the end is the same, IMHO.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2012 - 11:03AM #3
Kemmer

The current Vatican power structure is a snakepit of desperate old men who see autocratic control slipping away, and they're beginning to eat each other.

B-16 is a theoretician and really has no control over his cardinals' intrigues and backstabbing.  And the wimpy Card. Lavada of the CDF is certainly no help because he's Ratzinger's poodle.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2012 - 11:11AM #4
chevy956

Wonderful article, Ted- thanks for sharing it. I suspect that we are going to see more Church related organizations going the 501 organizational route to keep the bishops out of their hair, and believe that to be the best possible route for the nuns to take. 

I'm no longer a Catholic, but had the benefit of a fine parochial school education and several years of loving and disciplined piano instruction courtesy of some of these ladies. They are the ones doing the nuts and bolts ministerial work and it is saddening to see them harrassed by those who have no real clue of the contributions they make to the Church and American society as a whole.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2012 - 1:22PM #5
mainecaptain

I agree with Chevy. Thank you Ted

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2012 - 3:29PM #6
jane2

My thanks, too, Ted.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2012 - 6:38PM #7
Kemmer

I think the Church would be far better off if God hurries up and calls B-16 to his bosom.  Put a little something in his sauerbraten, why don't they?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2012 - 8:08PM #8
Buggsy

I see B16 has the infamous bent cross, in the picture.  Some history behind that ugly thing and not just art history either

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2012 - 11:15AM #9
headhuntersix

Funny, I see far more hate in this thread than I see in the Pope...

I do see that there's a heavy-handed crackdown going on.  The thing is, who does it affect?  Certainly not the ones who simply work and pray.  The political activists who are attempting to remake the Church into a secular progressive paradise with religious window dressing...they're the ones feeling the pain.  The couple of nuns who are friends of the family either feel like this must be happening in some other country, because it's having zero impact on them and theirs, or they're privately cheering the move because they're tired of the BS themselves.  It's the ones like the militant lesbian who kept inviting my (mid-thirties at the time) mom to "slumber parties," yet was still allowed access to the parish's little girls (you thought it was just priests???) that are feeling heat.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2012 - 12:21PM #10
mokantx

Jun 4, 2012 -- 11:15AM, headhuntersix wrote:

Funny, I see far more hate in this thread than I see in the Pope...

I do see that there's a heavy-handed crackdown going on.  The thing is, who does it affect?  Certainly not the ones who simply work and pray.  The political activists who are attempting to remake the Church into a secular progressive paradise with religious window dressing...they're the ones feeling the pain.  The couple of nuns who are friends of the family either feel like this must be happening in some other country, because it's having zero impact on them and theirs, or they're privately cheering the move because they're tired of the BS themselves.  It's the ones like the militant lesbian who kept inviting my (mid-thirties at the time) mom to "slumber parties," yet was still allowed access to the parish's little girls (you thought it was just priests???) that are feeling heat.

HH6

You're entitled to your opinions.  My experience with the nuns I know varies quite a bit from yours.  In one case, we are good friends with the leader of one order of nuns (worldwide).  She is pretty frustrated with the Vatican, and her thoughts echo many posted here.  You speak of "the ones who "simply pray and work."  Believe it or not, that's how most of the nuns see their lives.  Most of these orders get virtually NO support from Rome.  Yet they are out doing the "get your hands dirty work" that to which the gospel calls all of us.  They need support: from the laity, from the clergy, and above all, from the bishops.  They are NOT feeling the love these days.  I suspect you'll see a good faith effort by the nuns groups to talk to the Vatican, but if the games continue, you'll see a rapidly growing number pull the plug and walk away, as they should.  These aren't political activists.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 11  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook