Page 1 of 14  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Essentials for Salvation.
2 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2012 - 9:20AM #1

What are the essential elements of salvation?

This chart has been presented which suggest different layers pertaining to biblical salvation.

For instance, believing in a pre, post or mid trib is not essential to ones salvation. 
But, believing in Jesus Christ is. 
Believing in the correct Jesus Chrst is also essential. 

What are some of the other essentials?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2012 - 9:31AM #2
amcolph

Is believing in the "incorrect" Jesus the same thing in your mind as believing incorrect things about Jesus?

This post contains no advertisements or solicitations.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2012 - 9:35AM #3

Jun 3, 2012 -- 9:31AM, amcolph wrote:

Is believing in the "incorrect" Jesus the same thing in your mind as believing incorrect things about Jesus?

Perhaps you would like present a list so I can comment. 

I believe an individual(s) who present a false Christ have no salvation in their "gospel"  

Perhaps we need to define what a false Christ is.  Any suggestions amcolph?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2012 - 9:36AM #4
Adelphe

Jun 3, 2012 -- 9:20AM, 57 wrote:

This chart has been presented which suggest different layers pertaining to biblical salvation.

For instance, believing in a pre, post or mid trib is not essential to ones salvation. 

Here's some food for thought--from the same place/article the chart came from (a site I like very much, btw):

"Essential for salvation: These are the most essential doctrines of all essentials. This includes what every Christian should always be willing to die for. In essence, if someone does not believe the doctrines that are “essential for salvation,” they are not saved. Hence, it is at the center of the circle.

What I include:

- Belief in God (there is no such thing as an atheistic Christian)

Issues pertaining to the person and work of Christ:

- Belief in Christ’s deity and humanity (1 John 4:2-3; Rom. 10:9)
- Belief that you are a sinner in need of God’s mercy (1 John 1:10)
- Belief that Christ died on the cross and rose bodily from the grave for our sins (1 Cor 15:3-4)
- Belief that faith in Christ is necessary (John 3:16)

As with all of them, I am sure that there are some ancillary matters that could be included, but this gives you the key doctrines. Without these, you simply don’t have any sense present of what it means to be a Christian."

Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason, my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not retract anything, for to go against conscience would be neither right nor safe.  Here I stand.  I can do no other.  God help me.  Amen.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2012 - 9:41AM #5
amcolph

Jun 3, 2012 -- 9:35AM, 57 wrote:

I would rather see your response to Adelphe's post.  To my mind, anyone who holds to those propositions does not believe in a 'false Christ.'

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2012 - 9:46AM #6

Jun 3, 2012 -- 9:36AM, Adelphe wrote:

Jun 3, 2012 -- 9:20AM, 57 wrote:

Here's some food for thought--from the same place/article the chart came from (a site I like very much, btw):

Essential for salvation: These are the most essential doctrines of all essentials. This includes what every Christian should always be willing to die for. In essence, if someone does not believe the doctrines that are “essential for salvation,” they are not saved. Hence, it is at the center of the circle.

What I include:

• Belief in God (there is no such thing as an atheistic Christian)

Issues pertaining to the person and work of Christ:

• Belief in Christ’s deity and humanity (1 John 4:2-3; Rom. 10:9)
  • Belief that you are a sinner in need of God’s mercy (1 John 1:10)
  • Belief that Christ died on the cross and rose bodily from the grave for our sins (1 Cor 15:3-4)
  • Belief that faith in Christ is necessary (John 3:16)

As with all of them, I am sure that there are some ancillary matters that could be included, but this gives you the key doctrines. Without these, you simply don’t have any sense present of what it means to be a Christian.

Here's the question I have.  Lets say I present the Gospel to someone. They believe they are a sinner in need of mercy.  They believe Jesus died on the cross....they have faith in what Jesus did for them and accept Jesus as their savior.   In my presentation I never explained the divine nature of Jesus.  In fact they don't know what to believe about the divine nature of Jesus because they have never heard it.  Would you say they are saved? 

If so, what if later on they become convinced Jesus isn't God and violates your first bullet in the issues pertaining to the person and work of Christ?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2012 - 9:47AM #7

Jun 3, 2012 -- 9:41AM, amcolph wrote:

I would rather see your response to Adelphe's post.  To my mind, anyone who holds to those propositions does not believe in a 'false Christ.'

What of the Virgin Birth of Christ?

The Trinity?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2012 - 10:19AM #8
amcolph

Jun 3, 2012 -- 9:47AM, 57 wrote:

Jun 3, 2012 -- 9:41AM, amcolph wrote:

What of the Virgin Birth of Christ?

The Trinity?

Essential for historic Christian orthodoxy--the next circle out.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2012 - 10:25AM #9
Blü

Perhaps we need to define what a false Christ is.

At Christmas, which is the real Santa and which are Santa's helpers?

Which of the Orthodox, the Protestant, the Catholic, the Muslim, the Rasta, the Mormon, the JW, the Baha'i Christs is the real one, and which are Jesus' helpers?

Which of the countless niche Christs in the US religious marketplace - the Democrat, the Republican, the gay rights, the women's rights, the anti-intellectual, the pro-abortion, the pro-drugs, the computer game champion, the stamp collector and so on and so on and so on - is the real Christ and which are Jesus' helpers?

What objective test shall we use?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2012 - 10:42AM #10
Adelphe

Jun 3, 2012 -- 9:46AM, 57 wrote:

Here's the question I have.  Lets say I present the Gospel to someone. They believe they are a sinner in need of mercy.  They believe Jesus died on the cross....they have faith in what Jesus did for them and accept Jesus as their savior.   In my presentation I never explained the divine nature of Jesus.  In fact they don't know what to believe about the divine nature of Jesus because they have never heard it.  Would you say they are saved?

I would say they could be.  And their understanding of Him had damn well better grow from there.

If so, what if later on they become convinced Jesus isn't God and violates your first bullet in the issues pertaining to the person and work of Christ?

Not saved.  Never were.  More troublesome, likely never will be.

Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason, my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not retract anything, for to go against conscience would be neither right nor safe.  Here I stand.  I can do no other.  God help me.  Amen.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 14  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook