Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View hiring favoritism toward LDS
2 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2012 - 3:37PM #1
Aka_me

The  U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) today announced that it has filed a lawsuit in federal court accusing pest control company Orkin of  discriminatory hiring practices in denying jobs to older workers and favoring Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (LDS) (Mormon) applicants, particularly returned missionaries.

to think that governments and/or companies have a favoritism toward hiring returned missionaries would make them criminals open to lawsuit.

and the government just doesn't work that way.

there is no favoritism toward hiring returned missionaries, otherwise let's see the evidence

and we can use it to open a lawsuit.

even thinking a bias toward hiring LDS is acceptable, is to justify bias against hiring LDS

because a bias is a bias is a bias...

regardless of which direction it's in!

internet troll... anyone who won't stop posting about bad spelling.
the government KILLS and EXPERIMENTS and TORTURES people, without ever apologizing, being held accountable or punished. and you expect me to believe they've automagically grown a conscience to not continue? like bloody hades they have.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2012 - 6:13PM #2
Theo

Interesting, they might want to look into the employment practices of the FBI and CIA also, as well as the Howard Hughes estate and foundations.

~ Theophilus

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2012 - 6:49PM #3
Aka_me

Jun 2, 2012 -- 6:13PM, Theo wrote:

Interesting, they might want to look into the employment practices of the FBI and CIA also, as well as the Howard Hughes estate and foundations.

~ Theophilus

Three hundred-eleven His­panic FBI agents won a class action suit against the agency on September 30. A central argument in the suit was that their careers were stymied by the religious bias against non-Mormons of ranking FBI officials who are Mormon (LDS).

interestingly enough, the criminals have already been busted.

at the cost of tax payer money... they better not break the law again.

the government KILLS and EXPERIMENTS and TORTURES people, without ever apologizing, being held accountable or punished. and you expect me to believe they've automagically grown a conscience to not continue? like bloody hades they have.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2012 - 9:37PM #4
Ironhold

Jun 2, 2012 -- 6:13PM, Theo wrote:

~ Theophilus

Generally speaking, favoritism towards returned missionaries is the result of:

1. The fact that returned missionaries often come back knowing two or more languages

2. The fact that returned missionaries often maintain the high moral code they lived on their missions well after their return

3. The fact that returned missionaries have already been taught how to work with people from different backgrounds (most folks don't know just how valuable this is for most organizations)

Even Communist China values returned missionaries despite the nation's official antipathy towards anything and everything religious. We once had a sister missionary who hailed from the mainland serving in our area, and she told us that she was virtually guaranteed a job (most likely with the government) when she returned because she had spent two years in the United States learning English.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2012 - 10:11PM #5
Unworthyone

According to the link, the lawsuit alleges that Orkin specifically advertised for LDS returned missionaries and the interviewer cut an interview short when he found out the applicant was over fifty.

It is against federal law to discriminate in hiring based on age or religious creed.

If the plaintiff can demonstrate that the company had an ongoing practice of preferential treatment towards a particular religion or refusing to hire anyone over a certain age, he will prevail, and probably win a large judgement.  The company is also subject to EEOC sanctions and penalties.

I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.  Thomas Jefferson

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.
Albert Einstein

You can get anything you want out of life if you will just help enough other people get what they want. Zig Ziglar

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/03/29/opinion/why-i-m-for-the-brady-bill.html
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2012 - 1:13AM #6
Aka_me

Jun 2, 2012 -- 10:11PM, Unworthyone wrote:

According to the link, the lawsuit alleges that Orkin specifically advertised for LDS returned missionaries and the interviewer cut an interview short when he found out the applicant was over fifty.

It is against federal law to discriminate in hiring based on age or religious creed.

If the plaintiff can demonstrate that the company had an ongoing practice of preferential treatment towards a particular religion or refusing to hire anyone over a certain age, he will prevail, and probably win a large judgement.  The company is also subject to EEOC sanctions and penalties.

the advertisement and the interview cut short were the necessary hard evidence to bust the criminals who were illegally practicing discrimination.

what obviously isn't being comprehended here is that discrimination is ALL THE SAME

it doesn't matter what direction it's going in, preference or dislike.

hiring people BECAUSE they're white is no different than NOT hiring them because they're black.

a person's religion should NOT come up in an interview... in order to not open the door for (preference or dislike) discrimination.

and it's seriously funny how difficult it is for this concept to sink in

when there's CLEARLY an understanding of not liking to be recieving NEGATIVE discrimination...

so then steer clear of all discrimination, even when it's positive discrimination.

for returned missionaries to make it known that they are returned missionaries...

they are condoning discrimination

therefore they have no right to complain if or when they find themselves on the wrong end of discrimination.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2012 - 4:51AM #7
Theo

I've only had one dealing with Orkin, I scheduled a meeting with an Orkin representative, but the guy stood me up, so I continued to use our primary pest control company. 

And while I agree that certain companies seem to prefer highering Mormons, my own business experience making deals with Mormons has not exactly been good. I've decided to always ask every potential business associate if they are Mormon, before entering into any kind of deal, and if they are... that will be the end of it. Last time I worked out a deal with an art agent, who just happened to be Mormon, I lost my paintings plus the $5000 we invested in the venture. 

Not saying that all Mormons are dishonest, just saying that I got burned once because I trusted a guy who called himself a Christian businessman... I found out after the fact that he was a Mormon and an Amway busnessman, owner of one failed busness after another. 

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice - shame on me.

~ Theophilus

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2012 - 9:52PM #8
Svetlana

While Iron makes a good point about the experience and education of many (far from all) returned missionaries, those experiences and that knowledge are not present in every returned  missionary (some people never catch on to languages and never learn to accept other cultures as valuable), and they are not absent in every non-Mormon.  If companies limited their hiring practices to looking for those qualifications and ignored the question of religion altogether, they'd probably still get a predominance of Mormons, but they would not be guilty of discrimination.

"No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it."  ~ (common sense)

"Never place a period where God has placed a comma."  ~ Gracie Allen

"I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"I wonder sometimes if we ever give God a headache." ~ Dontay Hall, age 8
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2012 - 10:21PM #9
Aka_me

it's almost like there's a complete inability to comprehend prejudice in ANY direction is all the same.

Employment discrimination (or workplace discrimination) is discrimination in hiring, promotion, job assignment, termination, and compensation.

Like most discrimination, employment discrimination may occur intentionally or unintentionally, because of prejudice or ignorance.

discriminating IS discriminating regardless of whether it's FOR or AGAINST someone.

and LDS seem to be proud of discrimination, only of course when it's in their favor.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 06, 2012 - 1:01AM #10
Theo

Aka, I think part of the reason behind employer discrimination has to do with a fundamental disagreement with the Law. You probably remember that it was not always against the Law to discriminate against or in favor of other people based upon your personal criteria. However, new laws were passed that affectively criminalized behavior that was once legal...  and lots of people still believe they have a God given right to choose... albeit most of them do not think of it as bigotry or discrimination.

The pastor of my former Bible College, for example, actually preached on this subject back in the late 1970s, and he came right out and condemned our nation's law makers for criminalizing freedom of choice and association. According to his way of thinking, we all have a natural right to chose to associate with people of our own preferences, and this right to choose and to associate with others should extend to every area of our lives... not just within the four walls of our home. Therefore, if I own a house and want to rent it out, I should have the right to rent it out to someone I prefer... after all, its my property. If I own a business, I should have the right to employ people who will represent my company in the way I want... so if I want to hire only Southern Baptist men... I should have every right to hire only Southern Baptist men.

Of course, I understand that this way of thinking is now condemned by law, and people who violate these Laws are criminals and subject to both personal lawsuits and government prosecution. But as long as we have the freedom of speech, there are going to people who think they can behave in public life like they behave and believe in private. So it does not surprise me in the slightest that some Mormons, both in public and private life, believe they should be able to hire fellow Mormons. A dozen years or so ago, I remember certain people in Washington State published a Christian Business Directory, in which only Christian owned and operated businesses were allowed to advertize. The idea behind the directory was so that Christians who wanted to patronize such businesses, had an easy means of doing so.

I once hired an excavation bulldozer to clear my property, it cost me better than $1000 over 22 years ago. If I had known of a Christian in my Church who dozed land for a living, and was confident in their ability to clear my property... I would have hired them. If I knew of a Christian dozer operator in any of many local churches, I would have hired them. Sadly I did not, so I let my fingers do the walking through the Yellow Pages. The guy I ended up hiring to clear my land turned out to be a follower of JZ Knight, a local spirit medium. The guy did a good job clearing my property... but I have to tell you, he bent my ear for nearly an hour extolling the virtues of JZ Knight... and thus presumed upon my good-will. I really hated giving that guy my hard earned money, even though he did a good job for me. Had I known in advance what he was into - I would have hired someone else. I would have much preferred to hire a Christian businessman to do that work for me. But the Law came down hard on the Christian Business Directory, and forced them out of business.

Personally, I believe in the right to choose, and the right to associate with people I approve of... what I do not believe in is abusing this right by trying to make life hard on people I might not approve of. As a Christian, the law of love would forbid me from refusing to rent a house to a black family, or from hiring someone from a different religious tradition to work in my company. Admittedly, I am conflicted on this subject. On the one hand, I see the necessity of forcing Government to a "higher standard," when it comes to their hiring practices... after all, it is a government for and by the people. But when it comes to the private sector, individual people and the freedom of association... I think erring on the side of freedom of choice and free association, knowing that abuses will occur, is better than forcing everyone to adhere to the government's standards against discrimination.

Of course others may disagree, but that's life. I have a stubborn steak in me that breaks surface everytime the Government lays down the law criminalizing behaviors that were once completely legal in this country. I get real tired of Government telling me what to do, how to think and who I can associate with and how I have to treat them.

~ Theophilus

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook