Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Switch to Forum Live View Conception to Birth?
2 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2012 - 12:06AM #41
Adelphe

Jun 3, 2012 -- 10:03PM, Blü wrote:

Adelphe

'Dignity' comes (via French) from Latin dignitas, 'worthiness', 'merit'.

Christians say out loud that they're not worthy, so presumably they press no claim to dignity.

Dignitas is a Latin word referring to a unique, intangible and culturally subjective social concept in the ancient Roman mindset. The word does not have a direct translation in English. Some interpretations include "dignity", which is a derivation from "dignitas", and "prestige" or "charisma". The Oxford Latin Dictionary defines the expression as fitness, suitability, worthiness, visual impressiveness or distinction, dignity of style and gesture, rank, status, position, standing, esteem, importance, and honor.

With respect to ancient Rome, dignitas was regarded as the sum of the personal clout and influence that a male citizen acquired throughout his life. When weighing the dignitas of a particular individual, factors such as personal reputation, moral standing, and ethical worth had to be considered, along with the man's entitlement to respect and proper treatment.

In that sense, no.

Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason, my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not retract anything, for to go against conscience would be neither right nor safe.  Here I stand.  I can do no other.  God help me.  Amen.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook