Switch to Forum Live View an acceptable prejudice?
2 years ago  ::  May 30, 2012 - 6:33PM #1
Aka_me

there is a thread by this title in the tickles and snuggles forum. this discussion of which could obviously not take place over there.

Essay about prejudice in academe against Mormons

first off...

it becomes necessary for LDS to explain Romney's highest obligation: his prophet or his constituency. once that's accomplished it quickly becomes obvious why references to Kennedy must be stopped immediately if not sooner.

anti-Mormonism is part of the same continuum that contains discrimination against any group. Why, then, is it allowable publicly express bias against Mormons?

second off...

it becomes necessary to understand the difference between theological disagreement and real life intolerance. by not believing in the Grand Council of the Gods (which mainstream Christianity does not) cannot be equated to real life discrimination of trying to prevent a new chapel or temple from being constructed. mainstream Christianity has theological disagreement with LDS theology, whether LDS like that fact or not, will not change the reality of it.

third off...

people CHOOSE to be LDS. that is NOT the same as being female or being black, because believe it or not, no one chose to be female or black. people who CHOOSE to have tatoos and tons of piercings face consequences when applying for certain PR type positions, free will choices are not the same as simply "being" this group or that group.

fourth off...

is it even possible for LDS to explain how Heavenly Father's silent acceptance of MMM's blood money is fit for worship?

expecting an answer is not the same as denigrading trivializing or insulting a class of people.

when you choose to worship "that definition" of God you SHOULD know why you do so, and not be offended when someone asks why.

internet troll... anyone who won't stop posting about bad spelling.
the government KILLS and EXPERIMENTS and TORTURES people, without ever apologizing, being held accountable or punished. and you expect me to believe they've automagically grown a conscience to not continue? like bloody hades they have.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 30, 2012 - 8:08PM #2
Ironhold

Congratulations - you just proved the guy's hypothesis by having a blind, knee-jerk reaction rather than considering matters.

How'd you like if it people started treating you like scum because you have a business dealing in gold?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 31, 2012 - 1:06AM #3
Aka_me

my point... is that there exists:

1. mere negative opinion about LDS theology

2. intolerant actions against members of LDS church

#2 is not condoned in any way shape or form.

however church members and obviously this author, cannot differentiate between the two.

and if you think you're capable of differentiating between opinion and action, then I suggest copy pasting a DIRECT QUOTE from the article as your example of #2.

because it looks entirely like #1 to me.

the government KILLS and EXPERIMENTS and TORTURES people, without ever apologizing, being held accountable or punished. and you expect me to believe they've automagically grown a conscience to not continue? like bloody hades they have.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 31, 2012 - 5:53AM #4
Estacia

I have had bad expriences w/ Mormons, and I still do.

At the sametime. I really do my very personal best to look at the person. NOT thier faith.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 31, 2012 - 1:06PM #5
Aka_me

May 31, 2012 -- 5:53AM, Estacia wrote:

At the sametime. I really do my very personal best to look at the person. NOT thier faith.

welcome Estacia,

that's an excellent point to try to live by.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2012 - 10:38PM #6
Svetlana

May 31, 2012 -- 1:06PM, Aka_me wrote:

May 31, 2012 -- 5:53AM, Estacia wrote:

welcome Estacia,

that's an excellent point to try to live by.

Welcome, Estacia!  You are so very right!  Whatever one's beliefs, one is a human FIRST, and humans behave in all sorts of ways.

Iron, there is what your church teaches, there is what any individual Mormon believes, and then there is how any individual Mormon behaves.  In reality, there may be little or no connection among the three.  Complaining about the behavior of an individual Mormon is NOT attacking the church, as you have sometimes claimed.  In exactly the same way, the behavior of an individual non-Mormon may be inexcusable, but it is NOT necessarily a reflection of what he church teaches, nor of anyone else's opinions or behavior.  You have most emphatically made that last claim about non-Mormons, so you might want to take that plank out our your own eye, the better to help your neighbor remove the splinter from his own.

Your own answers to Aka_Me prove his point, not your own.  You cannot claim that no Mormon has ever behaved badly, but to complain about that behavior is NOT an attack on your church.  In your posts, however, you DO claim that the bad behavior of a non-Mormon is taught to him by his church, and furthermore, you insist that ALL non-Mormons are guilty of believing as that non-Mormon does, and of endorsing his bad behavior because we haven't personnally stopped it.  Remove that plank, Iron, you'll be amazed at what you will see of reality.

"No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it."  ~ (common sense)

"Never place a period where God has placed a comma."  ~ Gracie Allen

"I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"I wonder sometimes if we ever give God a headache." ~ Dontay Hall, age 8
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2012 - 3:34AM #7
Aka_me

while LDS are of the opinion that academic types are being every bit as prejudice against LDS as they blame LDS for being prejudiced...

there's something LDS aren't realizing in the entire issue:

academics never, ever, withhold a logical question from being asked.

and being an LDS requires withholding many Many MANY questions from being asked. a select few include:

did Heavenly Father create the priesthood ban?

is HF currently ording the fight against prop 8?

why did HF accept the tithed spoils from MMM?

where was HF standing before the big bang?

why was spirit of discernment broken during the Mark Hofmann purchases?

is polygamy in the CK still required in the path to exaltation?

what happens to the women who've been sealed to the multiple men who've been sealed to multiple other women?

Here's an article by Thomas C. Terry  getting a lot of attention on how openly our professors disparage Mormons in  ways they would be ashamed to talk about  members of various minorities—from blacks to gays—or women or members of other organized religions—from Catholics to Muslims.

as difficult as this is to comprehend... people don't choose to be black, gay, or female.

so please let's all help put stop this invalid fallacy of a comparison between choosing to jedi mind trick the difficult questions out of existence by living in a purple sky world, and simply BEING the way one IS in the real blue sky world.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook