Isaiah 65:17:23 says yes
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 11:55AM #2
lope

May 29, 2012 -- 11:51AM, dsfin wrote:

Jesus says no Matthew 22:23-30

I don't think so.  Heaven will be better than sex, not less.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 12:08PM #3
Adelphe

May 29, 2012 -- 11:51AM, dsfin wrote:

Jesus says no Matthew 22:23-30

Interesting.  Isaiah 65:

For behold, I create new heavens
    and a new earth,
and the former things shall not be remembered
    or come into mind.
18 But be glad and rejoice forever
    in that which I create;
for behold, I create Jerusalem to be a joy,
    and her people to be a gladness.
19  I will rejoice in Jerusalem
    and be glad in my people;
no more shall be heard in it the sound of weeping
    and the cry of distress.
20 No more shall there be in it
    an infant who lives but a few days,
    or an old man who does not fill out his days,
for the young man shall die a hundred years old,
    and the sinner a hundred years old shall be accursed.
21  They shall build houses and inhabit them;
    they shall plant vineyards and eat their fruit.
22  They shall not build and another inhabit;
    they shall not plant and another eat;
for like the days of a tree shall the days of my people be,
    and my chosen shall long enjoy the work of their hands.
23  They shall not labor in vain
     or bear children for calamity,
for they shall be the offspring of the blessed of the Lord,
    and their descendants with them.
24  Before they call I will answer;
     while they are yet speaking I will hear.
25  The wolf and the lamb shall graze together;
    the lion shall eat straw like the ox,
    and dust shall be the serpent's food.
They shall not hurt or destroy
    in all my holy mountain,”
says the Lord.

Other references to the "new heaven" and "new earth" along with some context:

Isa 66:

18 “For I know their works and their thoughts, and the time is coming to gather all nations and tongues. And they shall come and shall see my glory, 19 and I will set a sign among them. And from them I will send survivors to the nations, to Tarshish, Pul, and Lud, who draw the bow, to Tubal and Javan, to the coastlands far away, that have not heard my fame or seen my glory. And they shall declare my glory among the nations. 20  And they shall bring all your brothers from all the nations as an offering to the Lord, on horses and in chariots and in litters and on mules and on dromedaries, to my holy mountain Jerusalem, says the Lord, just as the Israelites bring their grain offering in a clean vessel to the house of the Lord. 21  And some of them also I will take for priests and for Levites, says the Lord.

22 “For as the new heavens and the new earth
    that I make
shall remain before me, says the Lord,
    so shall your offspring and your name remain.
23  From new moon to new moon,
    and from Sabbath to Sabbath,
all flesh shall come to worship before me,
declares the Lord.

24 “And they shall go out and look on the dead bodies of the men who have rebelled against me. For their worm shall not die, their fire shall not be quenched, and they shall be an abhorrence to all flesh.”

2 Peter 3:

But do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then the heavens will pass away with a roar, and the heavenly bodies will be burned up and dissolved, and the earth and the works that are done on it will be exposed.

11 Since all these things are thus to be dissolved, what sort of people ought you to be in lives of holiness and godliness, 12  waiting for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be set on fire and dissolved, and the heavenly bodies will melt as they burn! 13 But according to his promise we are waiting for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells.

Rev 21:

21 Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.”

And he who was seated on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.” Also he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.” And he said to me, “It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give from the spring of the water of life without payment. The one who conquers will have this heritage, and I will be his God and he will be my son. But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.”

Then came one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls full of the seven last plagues and spoke to me, saying, “Come, I will show you the Bride, the wife of the Lamb.” 10 And he carried me away in the Spirit to a great, high mountain, and showed me the holy city Jerusalem coming down out of heaven from God, 11  having the glory of God, its radiance like a most rare jewel, like a jasper, clear as crystal.

I'm going to have to give this some thought!

Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason, my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not retract anything, for to go against conscience would be neither right nor safe.  Here I stand.  I can do no other.  God help me.  Amen.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 12:09PM #4
newsjunkie

There has to be sex in heaven, otherwise nobody would want to spend eterinty there Laughing

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 12:26PM #5
Blü

newsjunkie makes a very valid point.

If we're disembodied, become merely a soul, we no longer have access to all those wonderful neurochemicals that made us think anything's pleasurable, desirable, ecstatic and in equal measure fearful, revolting, just wrong.

And where's your humanity then?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 12:27PM #6
MMarcoe

In Christ there is neither male nor female. So says Paul.

So in heaven, there would be no need for sex, as there would not be any sexes.

1. Extremists think that thinking means agreeing with them.
2. There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.
3. God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 12:29PM #7
MMarcoe

May 29, 2012 -- 12:26PM, Blü wrote:

If we're disembodied, become merely a soul, we no longer have access to all those wonderful neurochemicals that made us think anything's pleasurable, desirable, ecstatic and in equal measure fearful, revolting, just wrong.

There wouldn't be any humans. They would all be gods.

Besides, bodily sensations can't compare to the bliss of the soul. That's what the great mystics tell us. Sensations are impermanent; the soul is permanent. As much as I'd like to eat great pizza and have great sex in heaven, I trust that the bliss of the soul would be much better.

1. Extremists think that thinking means agreeing with them.
2. There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.
3. God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 12:30PM #8
sonnymoon42

Will there be chocolate? Whisky? Apple pie? High-speed Internet connectivity? Cigars? Coffee?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 12:35PM #9
jlb32168

Disembodied??  We’ll have bodies.  That’s why there will be a resurrection.

Other than that, it seems to suggest that people who are maimed, para- or quadriplegic, or merely unmarried people who aren’t physically attractive to anyone, are less than human than the rest of us, which doesn't seem too humane if you ask me.

I’m just glad that there will be an eternal ability to obtain knowledge.

I’m also glad that stupidity will be banished.  Hopefully I’ll get there in spite of it.

Victim of this, victim of that, your mama’s too thin and your daddy’s too fat, get over it! - the Eagles
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 12:41PM #10
mainecaptain

Yes she does make an excellent point. Which is why I believe in reincarnation. It make more sense to me. If there is an afterlife. I think we are born to experience life. Not to be consider dirty sinners.

Yes Blu I understand it is only my idea.

But it is a nicer idea then the Christian one of being dirty and life having no real purpose, but to wait for death and this heaven of theirs. IMNSHO. :)

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook