Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4
2 years ago  ::  Jun 15, 2012 - 6:45PM #31
Habala?!

Jun 15, 2012 -- 10:46AM, mecdukebec wrote:

Jun 14, 2012 -- 10:39PM, Habala?! wrote:

Jun 14, 2012 -- 8:49PM, wohali wrote:

Well then, for all intents and purposes I have read War And Peace.

War and Peace just might be the greatest novel ever written, in my opinion. If you care for literature then I would highly recommend reading it.

I always enjoy the French spoken by the Russian aristocracy:  The novel shows that French breeds superior intellect and a sense of hauteur, perfectly appropriate when dealing with Anglophone serfs. 

I liked the part where there was a fine imposed for speaking French and they found themselves unable to express themselves in Russian.

"When you walk, you might like to take the hand of a child. She will receive your concentration and stability, and you will receive her freshness and innocence." -Tich Naht Hanh
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 15, 2012 - 7:06PM #32
mecdukebec

Jun 15, 2012 -- 6:45PM, Habala?! wrote:

Jun 14, 2012 -- 10:39PM, Habala?! wrote:

Jun 14, 2012 -- 8:49PM, wohali wrote:

Well then, for all intents and purposes I have read War And Peace.

War and Peace just might be the greatest novel ever written, in my opinion. If you care for literature then I would highly recommend reading it.

I always enjoy the French spoken by the Russian aristocracy:  The novel shows that French breeds superior intellect and a sense of hauteur, perfectly appropriate when dealing with Anglophone serfs. 

I liked the part where there was a fine imposed for speaking French and they found themselves unable to express themselves in Russian.

It's a well-known fact that French erases all pre-existing matrix, thus raising the level of sophistication wherever it is introduced.  Sort of a Stuxnet virus or Borg aspect of the French language:  When you speak French, one naturally desires to join the cheese, wine, and stylish dressing Collective. 

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 15, 2012 - 7:49PM #33
moksha8088

So hauteur is the French word for self-deceptive arrogance?

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 15, 2012 - 8:31PM #34
mecdukebec

Jun 15, 2012 -- 7:49PM, moksha8088 wrote:

When a Francophone says, à hauteur des yeux, one means "at eye level."   When one grows up, one becomes Francophone. 

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 15, 2012 - 8:41PM #35
Habala?!

Jun 15, 2012 -- 8:31PM, mecdukebec wrote:

Jun 15, 2012 -- 7:49PM, moksha8088 wrote:

When a Francophone says, à hauteur des yeux, one means "at eye level."   When one grows up, one becomes Francophone. 

I, for one, never intend to grow up. Both Jesus and the Buddha had something to say about having the heart of a child.

"When you walk, you might like to take the hand of a child. She will receive your concentration and stability, and you will receive her freshness and innocence." -Tich Naht Hanh
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 15, 2012 - 8:48PM #36
mecdukebec

Faith should promote wonder.  I was listening last night on French radio in re: a star headed this way, within 1 million years, and within 1 light year or less in passing, which will interupt the comets at the edge of the solar system, and send them on a path of destruction on earth.  That causes me to wonder whether Wisconsin, living on borrowed time, will admit that it was stolen from the French settlers. 

At any rate, anyone read the Iliad?  Or Genesis?  Both mythic.  Promoting wonder. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2012 - 11:29PM #37
Habala?!

Jun 15, 2012 -- 8:48PM, mecdukebec wrote:

Faith should promote wonder.  I was listening last night on French radio in re: a star headed this way, within 1 million years, and within 1 light year or less in passing, which will interupt the comets at the edge of the solar system, and send them on a path of destruction on earth.  That causes me to wonder whether Wisconsin, living on borrowed time, will admit that it was stolen from the French settlers. 

At any rate, anyone read the Iliad?  Or Genesis?  Both mythic.  Promoting wonder. 

I have read both. I have also read the Odyssey and many other epic poems. Paradise Lost helped me understand a more traditional view of Christianity and ideas like the Trinity. After being spoonfed lies about other sects by my LDS family and their leadership it was nice to gain a more accurate view of another Christian denomination.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2012 - 8:49AM #38
mecdukebec

Jun 16, 2012 -- 11:29PM, Habala?! wrote:

Jun 15, 2012 -- 8:48PM, mecdukebec wrote:

I have read both. I have also read the Odyssey and many other epic poems. Paradise Lost helped me understand a more traditional view of Christianity and ideas like the Trinity. After being spoonfed lies about other sects by my LDS family and their leadership it was nice to gain a more accurate view of another Christian denomination.

Using the mind, to discover for one's self, is the way to go. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook