Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Harry Potter = Satan's Little Helper?
2 years ago  ::  May 25, 2012 - 3:44AM #1
non_croyant
Just for old time's sake.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 25, 2012 - 3:59AM #2
Blü

Just for old times' sake.

Harry can do magic.

He's highly moral.

He and his enemy know each other.

He has to die to defeat his enemy.

This he voluntarily does.

His enemy kills, not him, but the enemy's influence in him.

Harry defeats his enemy.

If you can't roughly map that onto a lead character in the New Testament, you're not trying.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 25, 2012 - 4:14AM #3
non_croyant

I feel like an Old Hat on alt.folklore.urban in 1991 right about now.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 25, 2012 - 4:21AM #4
non_croyant

Derp - substitute "Messenger" for "Helper."

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 25, 2012 - 8:56AM #5
Iwantamotto

Good day to you, non-croyant:

LOL.

Now, I've only seen the movies, but here are my thoughts:

Harry Potter makes a better Jesus in some ways than Jesus does.  Jesus talks a good game about martyrdom but never really walks up to, say, that Centurion whose servant He healed and said, "Hey, can ya do Me a favor and off me so some prophecy can be fulfilled?  I really want to die to save humanity's sins.  Kthnxbye."  When mobs attack, He usually runs.  He is executed only because He couldn't run anymore, as He had successfully united Romans and Jewish authorities in their annoyance at Him.  True, Harry doesn't really walk up to Lucius or whatever, but at least he should get some slack because the method of defeating Voldemort wasn't obvious.  According to Christianity, Jesus fully knew what was required of Him, on the other hand.

Don't mind me:  I have "issues" about hypocritical martyrdom complexes.  I believe "saviors" should, well, work on actual problems, not kill themselves (and let's face it, Jesus died by suicide-by-cop).

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 25, 2012 - 8:57AM #6
stardustpilgrim

I have four kids. When I heard about this Harry Potter craz with the first book I took a peek at it thinking I would get it for my kids. After about five minutes browsing I knew I couldn't get it. My wife, then, was king of the fundamentalist. I just stopped reading it, appearance was enough. It didn't matter what the book might really be about. Sad, I think my kids missed out.

I didn't read the books, but I've seen all the movies. Last book, Part 1 ........spoiler alert....but I doubt that necessary....I figured out that Snape wasn't a bad guy, that there was a plan. I couldn't wait for Part Two to come out. A superb ending. I may have to read that last book some day (I don't read much fiction).

sdp 

The purpose of words is to convey ideas. When the ideas are grasped, the words are forgotten.
Where can I find a man who has forgotten words? He is the one I would like to talk to.
The Way of Chuang Tzu by Thomas Merton

A map is not the territory.                                                                 Alfred Korzybski

God is that function in the world by reason of which our purposes are directed to ends which in our own consciousness are impartial as to our own interests. He is that element in life in virtue of which judgment stretches beyond facts of existence to values of existence.      Alfred North Whitehead
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 25, 2012 - 9:04AM #7
stardustpilgrim

(Side issue with Iwantamotto. The death of Jesus was a timing issue, he had to die on Passover. At the right time, he greased all the wheels).

sdp

The purpose of words is to convey ideas. When the ideas are grasped, the words are forgotten.
Where can I find a man who has forgotten words? He is the one I would like to talk to.

A map is not the territory.                                                                 Alfred Korzybski

God is that function in the world by reason of which our purposes are directed to ends which in our own consciousness are impartial as to our own interests. He is that element in life in virtue of which judgment stretches beyond facts of existence to values of existence.      Alfred North Whitehead
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 25, 2012 - 10:19AM #8
Blü

(Mild spoiler warning)

In the finale, when Harry's hit by the killing curse, he wakes in a cloud that resolves itself into an empty Kings Cross Station - why that station, do you think? - and finds his deceased mentor, Dumbledore.  Their conversation ends thus -

Harry:
Tell me one last thing.  Is this real?  Or has this been happening inside my head?

Dumbledore:
Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?

Now there's a question.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 25, 2012 - 11:42AM #9
stardustpilgrim

May 25, 2012 -- 10:19AM, Blü wrote:

(Mild spoiler warning)

In the finale, when Harry's hit by the killing curse, he wakes in a cloud that resolves itself into an empty Kings Cross Station - why that station, do you think? - and finds his deceased mentor, Dumbledore.  Their conversation ends thus -

Harry:
Tell me one last thing.  Is this real?  Or has this been happening inside my head?

Dumbledore:
Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?

Now there's a question.

I don't recall a whole lot about the last two movies. I recall that how everything worked out was pretty intricate, and something to do about the wand, the wand brothers. I recall the feeling to need to read the book to follow the intricacy.

But your question is easy........

We can only know things that are happening inside our head. Everything we see, hear, taste, touch and smell is happening inside our head.

sdp

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 25, 2012 - 11:58AM #10
non_croyant

This is another facetious post.  HP=SLM? was I think the longest thread in Beliefnet history.

Interesting that you guys are discussing the topic in earnest.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook