Switch to Forum Live View Dangers of the Internet Highlighted by Huge Gathering of Religious Jews
3 years ago  ::  May 21, 2012 - 1:11PM #1
JRoadrunner
In a world where so many terrible and immoral things are conveyed and perpetuated by the internet, it is nice to know that a community of Jews came together to increase awareness of the problem and discuss ways of filtering and managing the risks of unlimited internet use. 

Btw, I was there. The stadium was filled (40k+) and the tennis stadium next to it (20k) was also filled. There were live feeds to other schools and organizations (approx. another 20k). It was unprecedented to my knowledge.

[Note: IMO the word "Ultra-Orthodox" is pejorative (who are the plain old Orthodox?), and there are other biases in the reporting, but this article seems to be the best of the bunch.]

Mega-rally in U.S. for a more kosher Internet

Tens of thousands of ultra-Orthodox men attended a mega-rally in New York on Sunday to discuss the dangers posed by the Internet. The event took place at the Citi Field Stadium in Queens, New York, home of the Mets.

"The internet even with a filter is a minefield of immorality," said Rabbi Ephraim Wachsman. "This issue is the test of the generation. Your strength at this gathering will determine what Judaism will look like a few years from now."

Without letting up on their severe condemnation of technology and the Internet, the rabbis behind the event are accepting the Web’s inevitability while instructing their followers to use Internet-filtering technology.

“No one here is a Luddite who denies the manifold benefits that technology has brought to mankind as a whole,” said Eytan Kobre, spokesman for the event. “But at a certain point, a mature, thinking individual stops and says, ‘I’ve got to make a… cost-benefit analysis… [of] what ways it is enriching my life, [and] in what ways it is undermining it.’”

“We’re not looking to lock people down,” Kobre said of the filtering software. “We’re reaching out to mature individuals, people who are sincerely religious individuals… that understand what [the Internet] is doing to us and want to respond to it.” 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 21, 2012 - 1:28PM #2
Pam34

Hey - stay off my internet! If you want to 'police' something, try policing your OWN behavior, not demanding that the entire world accomodate your personal desires.

(jokingly, but only a little bit)

Look - 'the internet' is a social medium and a tool. Like all media -and all tools - it can be used properly and productively, or improperly and wickedly.

Blessed are You, HaShem, Who blesses the years.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 21, 2012 - 1:33PM #3
ffb

I wasn't there. I wasn't planning on being there. I did read this, though.

finkorswim.com/2012/05/20/the-asifa-is-d...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 21, 2012 - 2:51PM #4
JRoadrunner

Here's some audio of the event

I see that there's already a lot of misinformation and distortion being conveyed in the news (I use the term loosely). This audio should help. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 31, 2012 - 7:30AM #5
river8101

Censorship - bad idea.

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook