Page 1 of 14  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Why Are You Sure God loves You?
2 years ago  ::  May 19, 2012 - 10:59PM #1
koolpoi
Many people believe deeply in the idea that God loves all of us.I am not saying this must be wrong but I find much in the world which raises questions about this proposition.If you simply believe in a personal loving Diety without any particular reason,fine.However,if you can cite any reasons for this belief,I would like to hear them.As for myself,the current and past state of the world suggests that if God loves us all in any way that we comprehend love,His power must be limited.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 19, 2012 - 11:19PM #2
JimRigas

Yes I agree.  His power to interfere in his creation is limited.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 20, 2012 - 12:01AM #3
Blü

As Epicurus pointed out, no god who is all-powerful, benevolent and relevant exists.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 20, 2012 - 12:02AM #4
teilhard

"Love" Is The NATURE of Existence Itself ...

May 19, 2012 -- 10:59PM, koolpoi wrote:

Many people believe deeply in the idea that God loves all of us.I am not saying this must be wrong but I find much in the world which raises questions about this proposition.If you simply believe in a personal loving Diety without any particular reason,fine.However,if you can cite any reasons for this belief,I would like to hear them.As for myself,the current and past state of the world suggests that if God loves us all in any way that we comprehend love,His power must be limited.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 20, 2012 - 12:21AM #5
Keyfer

IMO, God created us and endowed us with freedom, rationality and the ability to know right from wrong. We see much wrong doing in this world and many innocent people suffer because of it. This is the result of people choosing evil behavior. It may appear that God cannot protect innocent people and maintain justice because of how things are going in this world but there is the next world in which evil people will be separated from good people. When this happens, the good will live in peace and the evil will torment each other. In the parable of the wheat and the tares, Jesus was teaching that the evil and good live together in this world but will be separated in the next.

Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn. (Matthew 13:30) 

I believe that God loves each person and never excludes anyone from His kingdom. However, He does exclude forbidden behaviors such as lying, cheating, stealing, murder, immorality, etc. If a person refuses to repent of forbidden behaviors, they exclude them self. I believe that God’s kingdom is populated with people who freely choose to shun evil (forbidden) behavior and live loving and just lives, i.e., treat others as they want to be treated. There will be no doubting God’s power to protect and provide for His children in the next life, imo.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 20, 2012 - 5:30AM #6
Iwantamotto

Keyfer:  It may appear that God cannot protect innocent people and maintain justice because of how things are going in this world but there is the next world in which evil people will be separated from good people.

I'd be more impressed with how loving and forgiving God is if He would forgive sinners.  Frankly, I'm surprised there are enough people who are righteous enough to qualify for Heavenly citizenship.  I mean, according to many Christians, only Jesus, being sinless, really qualifies.  That must make for a lot of games of Solitaire up there.

believe that God loves each person and never excludes anyone from His kingdom.

You make a good point.  After all, in Job, even Satan can go to Heaven, even if it's just for an inservice. :D

However, He does exclude forbidden behaviors such as lying, cheating, stealing, murder, immorality, etc.

In Job (sorry to obsess over it, but it seems Jesus was a fan of this story), you have God and Satan dicking around with Job for no other reason other than apparent "hey, look what I can do" crap.  If you can't be immoral in Heaven, please explain what happened to Job.

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 20, 2012 - 6:17AM #7
koolpoi

May 20, 2012 -- 12:02AM, teilhard wrote:

"Love" Is The NATURE of Existence Itself ...

May 19, 2012 -- 10:59PM, koolpoi wrote:

So who loves whom?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 20, 2012 - 6:55AM #8
Dostojevsky

Sorry about that, but if I invited you for dinner and you knock at my door not having had a wash for a month, I don't think I'd open the doors wide for you to enter.

Why shouldn't God demand the same?

Bring your fithy rags of hate and murder and abuse of the innocent and think you can enter heaven? That is unthinkable; heaven would immediately become hell.

So whyo loves whom?

God loved us first.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 20, 2012 - 7:14AM #9
koolpoi

So, much of humanity has become less than lovable?The cooling of an initial divine affection seems plausible and helps explain the state of the world much better than the idea of a (still) loving,omnipotent God.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 20, 2012 - 8:29AM #10
Utilyan

Anyone who can tell the difference between plain old Kindness and GOD still has lots to learn about both.

Keep in mind folks God is the most ordinary of anything.  

Kindness can be pretty humble.    Its common and ordinary.

Kindness doesn' walk around telling you to bow down and worship it.

Take away kindness from all the Gods and what you get?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 14  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook