Page 3 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What if you were wrong about gods name?
2 years ago  ::  May 13, 2012 - 12:50AM #21
understandingtruth

God clearly told Moses, "I am The I AM".  Any other name used is in addition to this and in the case of Jehovah it is questionable as to correctness but undoubtably only one name which men used for identifying God.  When He introduced Himself to Moses He didn't say, "I am Jehovah" now did He?

If He is never changing, not the author of confusion and cannot lie, would He give Himself one name & then later give Himself a different name or would He start & stay with the same diffinitive name?  That is why Jehovah is not His direct propper & only acceptable name.  Instead it stands as one of multiple discriptive names used by a specific group of people to recognize Him.  One which He was willing to accept the use of but never has he said anywhere call me only this and anyone who uses any of these other names for me is wrong? 

God Bless!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 15, 2012 - 8:58AM #22
matica

May 13, 2012 -- 12:08AM, mrjordan wrote:

May 11, 2012 -- 2:44PM, Kemmer wrote:

Ah. The OP didn't say anything about forgiveness. However the answer is in the question already where it says no one knows the correct pronunciation. Jehovah knows this too, thus will not fault us if we are saying it incorrectly.

So what's the big deal about us "Satan followers" who have discarded the archaic, highly dubious anglicized name entirely?

The key here is "who have discarded". So if everyone you know just called you "that man" and no one cared to learn your name and could care less who you are, would you be ok with that?

If I had the ability to read hearts I wouldn't care less what they called me. And I would be very upset if a bunch of people went around telling other people what my thoughts were when I read hearts and judgeing accordingly aside from me.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 15, 2012 - 9:20AM #23
Kemmer

The key here is "who have discarded". So if everyone you know just called you "that man" and no one cared to learn your name and could care less who you are, would you be ok with that?

Since there are many hundreds of languages on this planet, God necessarily has many hundreds of names; why must a small sect choosing the English version "Jehovah" as the only name God really listens to, be given any more attention than other sects' claims?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 15, 2012 - 9:30AM #24
cherubino

May 15, 2012 -- 9:20AM, Kemmer wrote:

Since there are many hundreds of languages on this planet, God necessarily has many hundreds of names; why must a small sect choosing the English version "Jehovah" as the only name God really listens to, be given any more attention than other sects' claims?

Because theyre chauvinists.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 15, 2012 - 10:24AM #25
Kemmer

May 15, 2012 -- 9:30AM, cherubino wrote:

May 15, 2012 -- 9:20AM, Kemmer wrote:

Because theyre chauvinists.

Among other things.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 15, 2012 - 4:54PM #26
Newtonian

May 10, 2012 -- 10:04AM, 57 wrote:

May 9, 2012 -- 8:23PM, Svetlana wrote:

Oh, they know they've got it wrong, they keep condemning us for having removed God's name from the Bible (it doesn't matter that you had no idea you'd done this, or that your ancestors had, you're doomed anyway if you're not JW.  Funny how that works, since it was their ancestors too, but reason isn't often a spiritual virtue).  Jehovah is as good a name as any for Him, as long as it's used respectfully, of course.  Where their true colors show is in condemning us to destruction for not obeying the WTS/GB when it insists that we must use their prefered substitute, rather than any other.  They call that "Christ-like" and "being led by the Spirit".  Go figure.

God has many names. 

ref

57 - Some of those are place-names, El and Elohim are the title God - the latter in the plural of Excellence - Moses is called elohim in Exodus 7:1 - so this is a title meaning "mighty one" and is not unique to Jehovah.

El shaddai means God almighty - Lord (adon/adonay) is not in that title.

There are title names also.   However, Jehovah as only one personal name -

Please read Psalms 83:18 in KJV.  

Obviously, we simply imitated KJV which translation was made centuries before modern day Jehovah's Witnesses restored the Divine Name to where it belongs.

See Strong's Concordance under "Lord" and notice that H3068 is found nearly 7,000 times in the Hebrew text.

Strong's Hebrew dictionary shows that H3068 is transliterated from Hebrew as "Yehovah" and translated into English as "Jehovah" - it also shows how many times "Lord" (113) jas beemn substituted

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 15, 2012 - 7:19PM #27
Kemmer

Obviously, we simply imitated KJV which translation was made centuries before modern day Jehovah's Witnesses [were invented and] restored the [presumed] Divine Name to where it [improbably] belongs

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 15, 2012 - 8:11PM #28
cherubino

Does language describe reality or create it? If you can imagine or think of something and give it a name, does that mean it exists? Theologians have a private epistemology about this wherein they allow themselves a very broad literary license to ascribe homemade meanings to words and none whatsoever in turn to anyone who disagrees with them.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 15, 2012 - 11:09PM #29
matica

May 15, 2012 -- 8:58AM, matica wrote:

May 13, 2012 -- 12:08AM, mrjordan wrote:

May 11, 2012 -- 2:44PM, Kemmer wrote:

Ah. The OP didn't say anything about forgiveness. However the answer is in the question already where it says no one knows the correct pronunciation. Jehovah knows this too, thus will not fault us if we are saying it incorrectly.

So what's the big deal about us "Satan followers" who have discarded the archaic, highly dubious anglicized name entirely?

If I had the ability to read hearts I wouldn't care less what they called me. And I would be very upset if a bunch of people went around telling other people what my thoughts were when I read hearts and judgeing accordingly aside from me.

People call me Matt every day instead of Matthew, if I were the almighty I should kill all those people who call me Matt instead of Matthew. Gets even worse when they call me the field tech or the cable guy, or the IT guy, I should kill them for that as well. No they must call me by my parents chosen name. But what if I'm not wearing a shirt with my name on it, if they don't call me by my name I must kill them?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 15, 2012 - 11:13PM #30
matica

Actually I should kill you all on here because you still call me matalica instead of calling me by my real name which is Matthew...but I'd still have to kill you because I know this other guy named Matthew who is a total dirtbag sinner and satan worshiper, does drugs, hates god, is an alcoholic and celebrates easter and christmas and all that, so how dare you call me Matthew!

On top of that how do you know if I have a middle name? Shouldn't you out of respect use my middle name and my last name as well? So from here on you you will refere to me as Matthew Schell. My parents never gave me a middle name. But I'm gonna keep my  profile name as matalica. If you slip your gonna die at the big a. That'll just piss me off if you call me the wrong name.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook