Page 11 of 11  •  Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11
Switch to Forum Live View Problems with Genesis: A Flaming Sword
2 years ago  ::  May 14, 2012 - 8:41PM #101
Newtonian

May 14, 2012 -- 11:56AM, Truthwillset wrote:

So we're settled then?  The Judeo Christian God actually created and introduced the first weapon of war into the world of mankind?

And how do Christians use the Sword of the Spirit?  (Ephesians 6:17) 

(2 Corinthians 10:3-6) . . .For though we walk in the flesh, we do not wage warfare according to [what we are in the] flesh. 4 For the weapons of our warfare are not fleshly, but powerful by God for overturning strongly entrenched things. 5 For we are overturning reasonings and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God; and we are bringing every thought into captivity to make it obedient to the Christ; 6 and we are holding ourselves in readiness to inflict punishment for every disobedience, as soon as YOUR own obedience has been fully carried out.

NW footnote: “We do not wage warfare.” Lit., “we are not doing military service.” Gr., ou . . . stra·teu·o′me·tha; Lat., non . . . mi·li·ta′mus.

Now, in the Genesis context, were these cherubs warring against Adam and Eve, or were they simply keeping Adam and Eve out of paradise or Eden?

And why would cherubs use a literal sword anyway - they are far superior extraterrestrial life forms for which a literal sword would be so beneath their powers and abilities!

I will research this, but I suspect this is symbolic of a fiery force field of some type a superior extraterrestrial life form would use to block passage.

In my next post I will post what our literature states - if this has not already been done!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 14, 2012 - 9:03PM #102
Newtonian

OK, our "Holy Spirit" book, on p. 29, considers that the sword was kept in motion by the Holy
Spirit.  However, as I posted above, I doubt Cherubs would stoop to using a literal Sword.

I suspect this was the "Sword of the Spirit" - i.e. the type for the antitypical Sword of the Spirit which is God's Word, the Bible. 

The actual Sword of the Spirit - we do not know, of course, what this was.  

So, until we find out, I simply suggested, and again suggest, it was a fiery force field - whether it actually looked like a sword in continual motion is likely - but I doubt it was actually a literal fleshly sword!

Problem is, that is my personal opinion - not every question is definitively answered in the Bible.    And personal opinion is just that - fallible human opinion!

There are some details that may have been missed - we also do not know how Adam and Even were driven out of the garden of Eden and why they were driven east and why the entrance to the garden was in the east - our literature suggests this was because the other directions out were blocked by mountains.

Of course, if you have a Sci Fi imagination like I do, you might picture an encircling force field! 

Oh, my - I think it is time for me to go to sleep!  

But seriously, while the Bible is the symbolic Sword of the Spirit - what would the literal Sword of the Spirit be?????

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 14, 2012 - 9:11PM #103
Newtonian

A cross reference:

(2 Thessalonians 1:7, 8) . . .to YOU who suffer tribulation, relief along with us at the revelation of the Lord Jesus from heaven with his powerful angels 8 in a flaming fire, as he brings vengeance upon those who do not know God and those who do not obey the good news about our Lord Jesus.

One can just imagine what fiery forms of energy are at the disposal of powerful angels, including cherubs!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 14, 2012 - 11:23PM #104
cherubino

May 14, 2012 -- 9:11PM, Newtonian wrote:

One can just imagine what fiery forms of energy are at the disposal of powerful angels, including cherubs!

Oh, come now. We're much more the sentimental sort.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 17, 2012 - 11:21PM #105
understandingtruth

May 13, 2012 -- 8:35PM, marken wrote:

You forget that Jesus put to rest the day of rest when He stated that God did rest but there exists another day of rest & jesus refered to Him still working and he said His Work was not complete.  Jesus also told us we would rest with Him if we are His.

God rested & then He went back to work, you missed it if you think He is still on His origional day of rest.

To give some suporting evidance for this statement,

In genesis it gives the creation account stating that God actually did all the work Himself.  In John 1:2 we have John clearly telling us not a single thing was created that wasn't created through the Word (Christ) that means all things created which takes you back to Genesis.  When Christ then refered to His Work not yet being completed & there being another day of rest He is the one who has done all creation.  When God rests He rests, "I and the Father are One". 

If you look closely at the context in Genesis it says God "rested" on the seventh day which is also past tense.  If God was still resting them what about the flood or The Exadus and so on.  those are all referd to as Gods works are they not?

God bless!

I would  like  to  put in  a  few  words  to  explain what  I  believe  as  to  God's rest  as  in Genesis 2:2,3.  I  believe  it  means  that  Jehovah  has  not  created  any thing on  earth  since  that  time.  The  sabbath  rest  mentioned   by Paul at heb 4:9 means  that  Christians  rest  from  their  own  works by which  they  formerly sought to  prove  themselves  righteous. I  believe  that  Jehovah is  still  resting from  creative  works and  that  it  will end  when  Christ  has  restored  all  of the  creation as  it  exists  now back  to  the  state  that  Jehovah  created it  in.  This  will  happen  at  the  end  of  the millenial  rule.

with affection from Marken

I agree with you that when God actually rests he is not creating.  However isn't a flood creating something and what was the work Jeus was refering to, was He creating kingdom followers through a ministry?  Didn't jesus himself make the referance that He & the Father are One and he pointed out that His Work was not done & he made a direct referance to rest & to God not resting.  Was performing miracles a type of work for God & was he creating something when He did this, lets say He created an outcome at the very least.

I believe the context on Gods rest is pretty direct & clear, He rested, then He went back to work & He has not entered His next day of rest yet, but when He does, He promised we would be there to enjoy it with Him if we are His.

God bless! 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 11 of 11  •  Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook