Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
2 years ago  ::  May 09, 2012 - 12:11PM #21
Marcion

May 8, 2012 -- 11:59AM, SeraphimR wrote:

May 8, 2012 -- 9:57AM, Marcion wrote:

I suggest you brush up on your history. The magnificent civilization you refer to was due to Akhenaten who abolished the Aman Re cult and became the first monotheist pharoah.

I took your suggestion and brushed up on my history.  My recollection was correct. Akhenaten had virtually no impact on Egypt.

Wikipedia has this to say about Akhenaten:

"Akhenaten tried to bring about a departure from traditional religion, yet in the end it would not be accepted. After his death, traditional religious practice was gradually restored, and when some dozen years later rulers without clear rights of succession from the Eighteenth Dynasty founded a new dynasty, they discredited Akhenaten and his immediate successors, referring to Akhenaten himself as "the enemy" in archival records.[10]

He was all but lost from history until the discovery, in the 19th century, of Amarna, the site of Akhetaten, the city he built for the Aten."

Wikipedia! Wow! Now there's an authoritative source.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 09, 2012 - 3:27PM #22
SeraphimR

May 9, 2012 -- 12:11PM, Marcion wrote:

May 8, 2012 -- 11:59AM, SeraphimR wrote:

May 8, 2012 -- 9:57AM, Marcion wrote:

I suggest you brush up on your history. The magnificent civilization you refer to was due to Akhenaten who abolished the Aman Re cult and became the first monotheist pharoah.

I took your suggestion and brushed up on my history.  My recollection was correct. Akhenaten had virtually no impact on Egypt.

Wikipedia has this to say about Akhenaten:

"Akhenaten tried to bring about a departure from traditional religion, yet in the end it would not be accepted. After his death, traditional religious practice was gradually restored, and when some dozen years later rulers without clear rights of succession from the Eighteenth Dynasty founded a new dynasty, they discredited Akhenaten and his immediate successors, referring to Akhenaten himself as "the enemy" in archival records.[10]

He was all but lost from history until the discovery, in the 19th century, of Amarna, the site of Akhetaten, the city he built for the Aten."

Wikipedia! Wow! Now there's an authoritative source.

Quite a bit more authoritative than you.

People with a mission to save the earth want the earth to seem worse than it is so their mission will look more important.

P.J. O'Rourke
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 10, 2012 - 10:56PM #23
Marcion

Enjoy your ego trip. The basic premise of the thread is still true i.e. priest-based religions are inherently corrupt.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook