Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Jesus and the kingdom of God
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 9:33AM #1
dio

Jesus said the kingdom is now. Not in the past, not in the future. He allegorically tried to wake up the blind, and the deaf, heal the sick, and the lame, the vain and insane, rich and poor, the paralyzed, even the dead to the fact that the kingdom is now in the present moment to be lived by awake healthy free people.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 9:35AM #2
Blü

He's also reported as saying, My kingdom is not of this world.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 9:41AM #3
Seefan

May 7, 2012 -- 9:35AM, Blü wrote:

He's also reported as saying, My kingdom is not of this world

Some believe that "My kingdom" is whatever applies to spiritual pursuits rather than materialistic gains, whether that be pomp and glory or riches and fame ...

Today the one overriding need is unity and harmony among the beloved of the Lord, for they should have among them but one heart and soul and should, so far as in them lieth, unitedly withstand the hostility of all the peoples of the world ... (Baha'i Writings)
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 9:52AM #4
nieciedo

The "kingdom" or "empire" of God is to be a total subversion and antithesis of the empire of Rome.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 9:56AM #5
Rgurley4

Jesus said: " the KINGDOM of GOD is NOW. not in the past, not in the future....now in the present moment to be lived by awake healthy free people."

Citations in Scripture to Jesus' actual WORDS ...please!?

I believe that :

First and foremost, the KINGDOM of GOD / HEAVEN is a PERSON!
...the KEYS to the KINGDOM...The Narrow Gate...= Jesus of Nazareth

Luke 17: Jesus..on The Coming of the "Kingdom of God"
 20 Once, having been asked by the Pharisees when the "kingdom of God" would come, Jesus replied,
"The "kingdom of God" does not come with your careful observation,
21 nor will people say, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is,' because the "kingdom of God" is AMONG you."
(Jesus was standing within a circle of his inquisitors...Jesus was the LIVING "kingdom of God" come down from Heaven!)

Matthew 10: Jesus ...sends first missionaries
5 These twelve Jesus sent out with the following instructions:
"Do not go among the Gentiles or enter any town of the Samaritans.
6 Go rather to the lost sheep of Israel.
7 As you go, preach this message:
'The "kingdom of heaven" is near.' (Jesus is the Messiah!)

Luke 22: Jesus:...the Last Supper
18 For I tell you, I will not drink again of the fruit of the vine until the "kingdom of God " comes." (Resurrection)

Second, I believe that the KINGDOM of GOD / HEAVEN is a spiritual SPHERE of INFLUENCE and ATTITUDE of the human spirit.

Matthew 18...Jesus: The Greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven ...like Little Children
3 And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, (simple faith / trust)
you will never enter the "kingdom of heaven".

Luke 13 - The Parables of the Mustard Seed and the Yeast: Knowledge of / FAITH in Jesus GROWS / PERMEATES
18 Then Jesus asked, "What is the "kingdom of God like"? What shall I compare it to?
19 It is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his garden.
     It grew and became a tree, and the birds of the air perched in its branches."
20 Again he asked, "What shall I compare the "kingdom of God" to? 
21 It is like yeast that a woman took and mixed into a large amount (~0.5 bushel) of flour until it worked all through the dough."

Third, the KINGDOM of GOD will be established as an ACTUAL government in Jerusalem at the SECOND COMING Of Jesus. His rule and realm will be for 1000 years of peace for believers.

Matthew  16
27 For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father's glory with his angels, (SECOND Coming)
and then he will reward each person according to what he has done. (Jesus' Judgment of Believers Works)
28 I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death
before they see the Son of Man coming into his (heavenly) kingdom." (Ascension)

Fourth, the KINGDOM of GOD and Heaven will be established as the NEW Heaven and the NEW Earth for eternity. See Rev 20-21

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 9:59AM #6
dio

Mt. 11: 4  Jesus replied, “Go back and report to John what you hear and see: The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosyb]">[b] are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is proclaimed to the poor. F)">6 Blessed is anyone who does not stumble on account of me.”

Is. 42:6 “I, the Lord, have called you in righteousness;
    I will take hold of your hand.
I will keep you and will make you
    to be a covenant for the people
    and a light for the Gentiles,
to open eyes that are blind,
    to free captives from prison
    and to release from the dungeon those who sit in darkness

This is symbolic talk for the ignorant spiritual psychological suffering condition of the people.

Jesus lamented saying if you people only had the ears to hear what " I" am saying. To John Jesus said even you John don't see.

The living Jesus never said "my kingdom is not of this world".

That was only said after his death to make sense of the horrible tragedy.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 10:05AM #7
dio

May 7, 2012 -- 9:56AM, Rgurley4 wrote:

Jesus said: " the KINGDOM of GOD is NOW. not in the past, not in the future....now in the present moment to be lived by awake healthy free people."

Citations in Scripture to Jesus' actual WORDS ...please!?

I believe that :

First and foremost, the KINGDOM of GOD / HEAVEN is a PERSON!
...the KEYS to the KINGDOM...The Narrow Gate...= Jesus of Nazareth

Luke 17: Jesus..on The Coming of the "Kingdom of God"
 20 Once, having been asked by the Pharisees when the "kingdom of God" would come, Jesus replied,
"The "kingdom of God" does not come with your careful observation,
21 nor will people say, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is,' because the "kingdom of God" is AMONG you."
(Jesus was standing within a circle of his inquisitors...Jesus was the LIVING "kingdom of God" come down from Heaven!)

Matthew 10: Jesus ...sends first missionaries
5 These twelve Jesus sent out with the following instructions:
"Do not go among the Gentiles or enter any town of the Samaritans.
6 Go rather to the lost sheep of Israel.
7 As you go, preach this message:
'The "kingdom of heaven" is near.' (Jesus is the Messiah!)

Luke 22: Jesus:...the Last Supper
18 For I tell you, I will not drink again of the fruit of the vine until the "kingdom of God " comes." (Resurrection)

Second, I believe that the KINGDOM of GOD / HEAVEN is a spiritual SPHERE of INFLUENCE and ATTITUDE of the human spirit.

Matthew 18...Jesus: The Greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven ...like Little Children
3 And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, (simple faith / trust)
you will never enter the "kingdom of heaven".

Luke 13 - The Parables of the Mustard Seed and the Yeast: Knowledge of / FAITH in Jesus GROWS / PERMEATES
18 Then Jesus asked, "What is the "kingdom of God like"? What shall I compare it to?
19 It is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his garden.
     It grew and became a tree, and the birds of the air perched in its branches."
20 Again he asked, "What shall I compare the "kingdom of God" to? 
21 It is like yeast that a woman took and mixed into a large amount (~0.5 bushel) of flour until it worked all through the dough."

Third, the KINGDOM of GOD will be established as an ACTUAL government in Jerusalem at the SECOND COMING Of Jesus. His rule and realm will be for 1000 years of peace for believers.

Matthew  16
27 For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father's glory with his angels, (SECOND Coming)
and then he will reward each person according to what he has done. (Jesus' Judgment of Believers Works)
28 I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death
before they see the Son of Man coming into his (heavenly) kingdom." (Ascension)

Fourth, the KINGDOM of GOD and Heaven will be established as the NEW Heaven and the NEW Earth for eternity. See Rev 20-21

Only one person?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 10:18AM #8
Blü

dio

Except at John 18:36 where he says it in the course of being arrested.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 10:27AM #9
dio

May 7, 2012 -- 9:52AM, nieciedo wrote:

The "kingdom" or "empire" of God is to be a total subversion and antithesis of the empire of Rome.

Yes I think so, Jesus kingdom is not a survival of the fittest social Darwinist kingdom, like the Civilization we inherited from the Romans. Paul and the Christians kowtowed to the Romans saying “Jesus’ kingdom was not meant to be of this world". Paul went so far as to say the authority of Rome was installed by God! I don't think that was Jesus' message at all. Jesus' kingdom is a quiet revolution to change the foundation of world wide civilization from selfishness to unselfishness. Jesus lamented that the kingdom of God had been taken violently and dominated by men of violence.  Jesus was talking about a different kind of alpha male, like himself who was willing to love his enemies and die for his friends. This is a very different kingdom paradigm. And Jesus said all people have to do is wake up, see and hear themselves in the world as it is, and love one another instead of hating and fearing robbing and oppressing each other. The way of the world and the kingdom of God are as close as night and day, from systemic selfishness to systemic unselfishness, from greed and fear to trust and justice. God is waiting to be liberated.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 10:40AM #10
dio

May 7, 2012 -- 10:18AM, Blü wrote:

dio

Except at John 18:36 where he says it in the course of being arrested.

if Jesus really said this, who was there with Jesus and Pilate to report these words? Jesus never taught this to his disciples. 

Even I don't think it happened in this scene I'd say Jesus' responce to Pilate was sarcastic.

His disciples had run away. In responce to Pilates question Jesus infered  if my men were worth their salt they would have fought for me and I would not have  been taken here before you.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook