Page 3 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Jehovah in NT in Scoffield Reference Bible marginal notes - need help finding online references
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 2:46PM #21
matica

Yes it is a diobolical conspiracy, we got the World Wide Web...WWW=666 in Hebrew.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 4:17PM #22
Oeste

May 6, 2012 -- 12:49PM, Newtonian wrote:

However, Ann, please do try to prove the removal of Scofield's marginal notes is not a big conspiracy.

LOL! You do have a sense of humor Newt....why not just ask AOM to prove that Roswell, the Kennedy assasination, and the lunar landing were not big conspiracies either?

But these are just small detractions and you need to dig deeper to so see the really big one...the sinister, diabolical plot to replace the Divine Name Yahweh with Jehovah!

Looks like Scoffield may have been part of it.

Never argue with stupid people. They will drag
you down to their level and then beat you with
experience ~ Mark Twain

If you are neutral on situations of injustice
you have chosen the side of the oppressor ~
Desmond Tutu
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 4:49PM #23
Newtonian

May 7, 2012 -- 9:11AM, AnnOMaly wrote:

What gets me is that these sources are supposedly the Scofield Reference Bible - but have removed all the cross references!

How can you say it the reference edition and omit the references!

I hear ya. It's the kind of thing that would bug me too. Even Barnes' Notes on the NT, reproduced on sites like studylight and similar, includes the cross-references (but skips some of the alternate renderings in the margin - I have a volume on my shelf). Then again, you can see a proper scanned version on the internet (ccel) for comparison.

As I said, hopefully one day Scofield's will be scanned and digitally archived.

Yes, and meanwhile I am putting some of the notes online and since this was such a commonly used study edition I am sure others have it to check it out for themselves.

For now, therefore, I am simply going to focus on researching Scoffield's notes further, especially as regards "jehovah" in the Christian Greek Scriptures (aka New Testament = NT). 

I left off on Jehoshaphat in Matthew 1:8 (marginal note g cf 1 chr.3.10), which, of course, contains the Divine Name in the long form prefix "Jeho" while the actual Greek has the short form prefix "Io".   I might add that, as also in Jesus from the Greek Iesous, the "I" has the "Y" sound, more or less - i.e. Yo & Ye (cp. Yeshua to Jeshua).

Anyway, the next note is also on Mt. 1:8 where KJV has Ozias, and Scofield note h on Ozias reads:

"h Uzziah, 2 Ki. 15.13.  Called also Azariah, 2 Chr.22.6"

This is a case where the Divine name is in the suffix as "ah" - also quite common in Bible names.

[Note: "el" from the Hebrew title "God" is also common both in Bible names in both the suffix and prefix.  Two names have both "Jah" an abrreviation of the  Divine Name and the title God "el" - namely: Elijah and Jael.]

Back to Matthew 1:8, again KJV is perfect - exactly transliterating the name in the Greek text which reads "Ozian" - a form of Ozias - from Strong's Greek dictionary:

G3604 Ὀζίας Ŏzias od-zee'-as Of Hebrew origin [H5818]; Ozias (that is, Uzzijah), an Israelite: - Ozias.

H5818 עזּיּהוּ    עזּיּה ‛ûzzı̂yâh  ‛ûzzı̂yâhû ooz-zee-yaw', ooz-zee-yaw'-hoo From H5797 and H3050; strength of Jah; Uzzijah, the name of five Israelites: - Uzziah.

Notice the long form suffix "yahu" from the Hebrew for this abbreviation of the Divine Name which would become "Jahu" in English.   Some scholars note "u" as a possible vowel in the Divine Name in ancient times.

Scoffield notes Uzziah is also called Azariah in his marginal note - cf. 2 Ch. 22:6

Our Bible dictionary defines Azariah: (Az·a·riah) [Jehovah Has Helped].- "Insight on the Scriptures," Volume 1, p. 224 - and then lists 27 people in the Bible with that name!

Including the Azariah Scoffield notes, to wit:

"10. King of Judah, the youngest son of Jehoram and Athaliah; also called Jehoahaz and Ahaziah.—2Ki 8:25-29; 2Ch 21:17; 22:1, 6; see AHAZIAH No. 2." - Ibid., Volume 2, p. 1146

He is, as Scoffield correctly noted, also called Uzziah - one of 5 people in the Bible with this name listed in our Bible dictionary - this Uzziah/Azariah/Ahaziah/Jehoahaz was King of Judah.   Of course, Jehoahaz has the same definition as Ahaziah - it is simply interchanging the suffix with the prefix!   Btw, this is the only person I know so far who had 4 personal names!

Like Strong's Hebrew dictionary, our Bible dictionary notes the definition of Uzziah, to wit:

"(Uz·ziah) [My Strength Is Jehovah]." - Ibid., Vol. 2, p. 1146 - or, as Strong's notes - "Strength of Jah" 

Strong's on Azariah:

H5838 עזריהוּ    עזריה ‛ăzaryâh  ‛ăzaryâhû az-ar-yaw', az-ar-yaw'-hoo From H5826 and H3050; Jah has helped; Azarjah, the name of nineteen Israelites: - Azariah.

Again note the longer abbreviation from Hebrew: Yahu, along with the more common Yah, for the Divine name.

In my next post I hope to consider the other two names of this King of Judah in more detail.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 5:08PM #24
Newtonian

May 7, 2012 -- 4:17PM, Oeste wrote:

May 6, 2012 -- 12:49PM, Newtonian wrote:

However, Ann, please do try to prove the removal of Scofield's marginal notes is not a big conspiracy.

LOL! You do have a sense of humor Newt....why not just ask AOM to prove that Roswell, the Kennedy assasination, and the lunar landing were not big conspiracies either?

But these are just small detractions and you need to dig deeper to so see the really big one...the sinister, diabolical plot to replace the Divine Name Yahweh with Jehovah!

Looks like Scoffield may have been part of it.

Oeste - Actually that was Ann's sense of humor - I simply went along with it!   Only neigher of us actually consider the removal of Scofield's notes to be funny.

Yahweh is not a correct representation of the Hebrew tetragrammaton into English - as is proven by the many bible names with the long form prefix "Jeho."

On this Scofield notes the name Jesus (which has the short form prefix "Je" from the Greek "Ie" in Iesous) actually is the same name (hence the same definition, btw) as Jehoshua.

This is Scofield's marginal note on Matthew 1:25 where Joseph names Jesus - all caps, btw, in this KJV.   Scofield note 'j" on "JESUS" in KJV in Mt.1:25 -

"j The Greek form of the Hebrew Jehoshua, meaning Savior"

However, Scoffield errs on the definition.   The suffix means "savior/salvation" but the prefix is the Divine name - Je short for Jeho, as Strong's notes:

H3091 יהושׁע    יהושׁוּע yehôshûa‛  yehôshûa‛ yeh-ho-shoo'-ah, yeh-ho-shoo'-ah From H3068 and H3467; Jehovah-saved; Jehoshua (that is, Joshua), the Jewish leader: - Jehoshua, Jehoshuah, Joshua. Compare H1954, H3442.

So the name Jesus focusses on his Father Jehovah, as his name means "Jehovah is salvation" or, as Strong's states: Jehovah-saved.

This is not conspiracy - the Y becomes J in English in ALL Bible names.   And the first two vowels are e,o as in Jehoshua - not a as in Yahweh.   The last vowel, found in the Bible name suffix "ah" is "a."   Again, "ah" in the suffix, not "eh" as in Yahweh.   Of course, the Hebrew "w" becomes "v" in English.

In other languages Jehovah's Witnesses use other spellings and pronunciations of the Divine Name - Jehovah is the English spelling as found in KJV at Psalms 83:18 for one example.  For 438 languages, see our website:

www.watchtower.org/languages.htm

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 5:10PM #25
Newtonian

You all - for those who prefer the "Y" spelling from the Hebrew or Greek - do you think Jews should be called Yews?  Surprised

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 6:08PM #26
Kemmer

May 7, 2012 -- 5:10PM, Newtonian wrote:

You all - for those who prefer the "Y" spelling from the Hebrew or Greek - do you think Jews should be called Yews?  Surprised

In almost all languages apart from English, the "j" sound is made by a combination of letters.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 9:00PM #27
Oeste

May 7, 2012 -- 5:08PM, Newtonian wrote:

Oeste - Actually that was Ann's sense of humor - I simply went along with it!   Only neigher of us actually consider the removal of Scofield's notes to be funny.

Understood Newt.

May 7, 2012 -- 5:08PM, Newtonian wrote:

Yahweh is not a correct representation of the Hebrew tetragrammaton into English - as is proven by the many bible names with the long form prefix "Jeho."

On this Scofield notes the name Jesus (which has the short form prefix "Je" from the Greek "Ie" in Iesous) actually is the same name (hence the same definition, btw) as Jehoshua.

So you're part of the conspiracy too?

Never argue with stupid people. They will drag
you down to their level and then beat you with
experience ~ Mark Twain

If you are neutral on situations of injustice
you have chosen the side of the oppressor ~
Desmond Tutu
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 08, 2012 - 2:24AM #28
Newtonian

Oeste - Not really.  If one wants to pronounce Jesus in some other way, there are plenty of valid pronunciations stemming from Hebrew and Greek - e.g. Yeshua, Yahshua - or, as Scofield notes on Mt. 1:25 -

"j The Gr. form of the Heb. Jehoshua, meaning saviour"

Albeit, as I noted, it is the suffix "shua" that means savior - the prefix Jeho is the first 4 letters of the Divine Name.

Now, getting back to the King of Judah called Ozias in Mt. 1:8 in KJV with this Scofield marginal note:

"h Uzziah, 2 Ki. 15:13.  Called also Azariah, 2 Chr. 22:16"

He is  also called Jehoahaz, as our Bible dictionary notes:

"(Je·hoa·haz) [May Jehovah Take Hold; Jehovah Has Taken Hold].

1. Variant spelling of the name of Ahaziah, who succeeded his father Jehoram as king of Judah in the late tenth century B.C.E. (2Ch 21:16, 17; 22:1) This alternate spelling, also found in the Masoretic text at 2 Chronicles 25:23, simply transposes the divine name to serve as the prefix instead of the suffix. Once this king of Judah is called Azariah.—2Ch 22:6b; see AHAZIAH No. 2." - "Insight on the Scriptures," Volume 1, p. 1265

From Strong's Hebrew dictionary:

H3059 יהואחז yehô'âchâz yeh-ho-aw-khawz' From H3068 and H270; Jehovah seized; Jehoachaz, the name of three Israelites: - Jehoahaz. Compare H3099.

Of course, as I noted above, Jehoahaz is also called Ahaziah - wherein the suffix and prefix are switched - so, of course, the two names have the same definition, as our Bible dictionary confirms:

"(A·ha·zi′ah) [Jehovah Has Taken Hold]. The name of two kings, one of Israel, the other of Judah. ....

Second Chronicles 22:7 points out that Ahaziah’s death “was from God,” and thus Jehu acted as God’s executioner in slaying this man who fellowshipped with the condemned house of Ahab. Ahaziah is also referred to as “Azariah” at 2 Chronicles 22:6 (though here 15 Hebrew manuscripts read “Ahaziah”), and as “Jehoahaz” at 2 Chronicles 21:17; 25:23 (a case of transposing the divine name to serve as a prefix instead of as a suffix)." - "Insight on the Scriptures," Volume 1, p. 63

From Strong's Hebrew dictionary:

H274 אחזיהוּ    אחזיה 'ăchazyâh  'ăchazyâhû akh-az-yaw', akh-az-yaw'-hoo From H270 and H3050; Jah has seized; Achazjah, the name of a Jewish and an Israelitish king: - Ahaziah.

As noted before, sometimes the Divine Name in the suffix is transliterated from the Hebrew is "yahu" rather than the shorter abbreviation "Yah.

Note: the praise "Halleluia" or "Halleluyah" means Praise Jah and is contained the the Christian Greek Scriptures.

Concerning this our literature has noted:

"See also Psalms 135:1; 146:1, AS, footnote. Says McClintock and Strong’s Cyclopædia, Volume IV, page 32a: “Hallelujah (Heb. hallelu-yah, הללו־יה, Praise ye Jah, i.e. Jehovah!) or (in its Greek form) ALLELUIAH (’Αλληλούϊα), a word which stands at the beginning of many of the Psalms. . . . In the great hymn of triumph in heaven over the destruction of Babylon, the apostle in vision heard the multitude in chorus like the voice of mighty thunderings burst forth ‘Alleluia, for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth,’ responding to the voice which came out of the throne, saying, ‘Praise our God, all ye his servants, and ye that fear him, both small and great.’ (Rev. xix, 1-6).”" - quoted in "The Watchtower," 10/1/60, p. 584

This confirms that Jehovah is God since the Greek prefix "ie" is for Jesus while the Greek suffix "ia" is for Jehovah.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 08, 2012 - 7:03AM #29
AnnOMaly

You, who prefers the 'J' sound rather than the 'Y' sound, do you think 'Isaiah' should be called 'Isa-Jah' or 'Hallelujah' should be pronounced with a hard 'J' rather than a 'Y'?

Mere conventions of the English language. Don't be so pedantic. Wink

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 19, 2012 - 6:07AM #30
Newtonian

May 8, 2012 -- 7:03AM, AnnOMaly wrote:

You, who prefers the 'J' sound rather than the 'Y' sound, do you think 'Isaiah' should be called 'Isa-Jah' or 'Hallelujah' should be pronounced with a hard 'J' rather than a 'Y'?

Mere conventions of the English language. Don't be so pedantic. Wink

I do not prefer the "J" sound.  Perhap Jou do?

Or Yew?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook