Page 2 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
3 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 1:34AM #11
Unworthyone

Look long and hard, friend.

The LDS Church is all about "conformity."

You will be expected to conform your thoughts, words, and behaviors in quite rigid ways. 

Obedience is considered the greatest virtue in the church. 

You will be taught that you can receive personal revelation, and you are encouraged to share that personal revelation with others, provided it is in harmony with everything the current leadership teaches.  If they determine that your personal revelation is not in harmony with their teachings, you will be asked to remain silent regarding these matters.  If you fail to comply with the directives of the leadership, you will be disciplined, up to and including excommunication.

Look long and hard.

Anyone who thinks sitting in church can make you a Christian must also think that sitting in a garage can make you a car.”
― Garrison Keillor

A friend is someone who will help you move.  A great friend is someone who will help you move - a body!
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 9:39AM #12
Ironhold

May 7, 2012 -- 1:31AM, Aka_me wrote:

but will inevitably begin questioning why God doesn't insist the church apologize for lying about Native Americans constructing the Mountain Meadows Massacre.

Please don't lie to the newbies.

It's an established fact that MMM was performed by local-level vigilantes working in conjunction with an irate Native American band, and that the Native Americans agreed to take the blame in return for the extra muscle.

Brigham Young actually offered to assist in an investigation as far back as 1858, but it was another 20 years before the government - already embarassed by Johnston's Folly - dared to actually touch the issue.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 9:41AM #13
Ironhold

May 7, 2012 -- 1:34AM, Unworthyone wrote:

Look long and hard, friend.

The LDS Church is all about "conformity."

You will be expected to conform your thoughts, words, and behaviors in quite rigid ways. 

Obedience is considered the greatest virtue in the church.

Then how is it I routinely get away with things that would net me a restraining order in any other Christian denomination?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 9:46AM #14
Ironhold

May 6, 2012 -- 11:54PM, Habala?! wrote:

When I was LDS I was a hometeacher and the bishop often had discussions with me and my partner about non/less active people that we were assigned to. The same thing happened while I served in the presidencies of my deacon, teacher and priest quorums.

It's called "trying to figure out why these people aren't showing up and what is needed to help them."

Is the person sick?

Do they need a ride?

Has their work schedule changed?

Are they deployed / on vacation / on a business trip?

Things like that.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 9:54AM #15
li47

Then how is it I routinely get away with things that would net me a restraining order in any other Christian denomination? 

Examples, Ironhold?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 11:33AM #16
Ironhold

May 7, 2012 -- 9:54AM, li47 wrote:

Examples, Ironhold?

(note that these are hosted on Deviant Art; I'd recommend using AdBlock Plus before going over there)

1 - 52

53 - 105

106 - 151

152 - 202

As soon as I finish the next batch of 50 I'll have officially out-Skippy'd Skippy in terms of quantity.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 11:38AM #17
mecdukebec

May 7, 2012 -- 9:39AM, Ironhold wrote:

but will inevitably begin questioning why God doesn't insist the church apologize for lying about Native Americans constructing the Mountain Meadows Massacre.

It's an established fact that MMM was performed by local-level vigilantes working in conjunction with an irate Native American band, and that the Native Americans agreed to take the blame in return for the extra muscle.

Brigham Young actually offered to assist in an investigation as far back as 1858, but it was another 20 years before the government - already embarassed by Johnston's Folly - dared to actually touch the issue.

What's so sadly amusing, is that somebody's trying to excuse a war crime.  Sort of right up there with, "Well, heck, you died at Auschwitz; we still don't care and will baptise your relatives into our faith."

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 11:42AM #18
Ironhold

May 7, 2012 -- 11:38AM, mecdukebec wrote:

What's so sadly amusing, is that somebody's trying to excuse a war crime.  Sort of right up there with, "Well, heck, you died at Auschwitz; we still don't care and will baptise your relatives into our faith."

Did I say I was trying to excuse it?

Or did you just pretend that?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 12:00PM #19
Aka_me

we KNOW Brigham Young blamed it on Native Americans...

this is an established fact, not open to debate or spin.

what is open to debate concerns why his spirit of discernment was so woefully broken, AND how he tolerated everyone around him lying.

which leaves us sitting here today...

wondering why God is unable to tell the church to apologize for Brigham Young lying about the Native Americans orchestrating the entire event.

in the corporate world that kind of false defamation of character would generate a law suit.

if God wants humans to have morals and ethics

then why can't God hold Himself to the same standard?

please explain

the US exports death and corruption globally on a scale undrempt by Iranian authorities. war for corporate profits funded by taxpayers and soldiers' lives plus unofficial war funded by drugs to minorities. wave that flag of corruption in blissful ignorance of the orphans it creates assisting the rich to get richer. it's all good though cause we don't need to do ANYTHING to change... mother nature will create the necessary change.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 12:27PM #20
mecdukebec

May 7, 2012 -- 11:42AM, Ironhold wrote:

May 7, 2012 -- 11:38AM, mecdukebec wrote:

Did I say I was trying to excuse it?

Or did you just pretend that?

I'm saying that you don't admit that it was a heinous act constituting a war crime.  Work on reading skills, please.

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook