Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
2 years ago  ::  May 04, 2012 - 8:22AM #1
Upendoanafora
Greetings,

In many ways, I happen to resonate with my astrological birth sign Aquarius in that I tend toward the benevolently-intended unorthodox, so please note this about me with respect to the following (I realize they may come across to some as 'strange' in a bad way -- but for me, oddness/strangeness/queerness in and of itself shouldn't be negatively judged necessarily -- in many cases, it turns out to be the spice of life!!  Heck, many likely considered the Prophetic ideas 'strange'!!).

I say the above to say that my overarching, 'umbrella' spiritual identity is that of a 'Unitarian Universalist (UU) Mystic'.  In other words, with respect to the UU part, my core tradition is one in which there is only 7, secularly worded and decided upon Principles for ideal adherence to the Golden Rule; nothing more (in terms of dogma/how-to):

www.uua.org/beliefs/principles/

... for many in this tradition, they've been so burned by dogmatic religion, they're determined to make the goal of Golden Rule based behavior 'enough'.  So they're 'exclusive' or 'serious' only about this identity space.  My 'oddball-ness' in this respect is that I opt to seriously explore dogmatic teachings as WELL; thus my 'Mystic' side.

Hence I currently identify as a 'UU Mystic' in 'umbrella' sense, with additional formal, active membership in a local Buddhist, Daoist, and Moorish community as well!  Now, I've felt very comfortable being very honest with these communities about my involvement with others.  They have no issue with it.

Given the above, my question to you folks is if I were to join LDS formally, how would my 'UU Mystic' identity be received given both Scriptural teachings AND social norms?  In other words, are there EXPLICIT formal teachings concerning exclusivity in this tradition?  Or more social norms and/or informal advice?

Thanks in advance ....

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 04, 2012 - 5:31PM #2
Ironhold

Your best bet would be to actually read through the official church materials at www.lds.org and www.mormon.org to get a feel for the church.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 04, 2012 - 6:11PM #3
mecdukebec

May 4, 2012 -- 8:22AM, Upendoanafora wrote:

Greetings,

In many ways, I happen to resonate with my astrological birth sign Aquarius in that I tend toward the benevolently-intended unorthodox, so please note this about me with respect to the following (I realize they may come across to some as 'strange' in a bad way -- but for me, oddness/strangeness/queerness in and of itself shouldn't be negatively judged necessarily -- in many cases, it turns out to be the spice of life!!  Heck, many likely considered the Prophetic ideas 'strange'!!).

I say the above to say that my overarching, 'umbrella' spiritual identity is that of a 'Unitarian Universalist (UU) Mystic'.  In other words, with respect to the UU part, my core tradition is one in which there is only 7, secularly worded and decided upon Principles for ideal adherence to the Golden Rule; nothing more (in terms of dogma/how-to):

www.uua.org/beliefs/principles/

... for many in this tradition, they've been so burned by dogmatic religion, they're determined to make the goal of Golden Rule based behavior 'enough'.  So they're 'exclusive' or 'serious' only about this identity space.  My 'oddball-ness' in this respect is that I opt to seriously explore dogmatic teachings as WELL; thus my 'Mystic' side.

Hence I currently identify as a 'UU Mystic' in 'umbrella' sense, with additional formal, active membership in a local Buddhist, Daoist, and Moorish community as well!  Now, I've felt very comfortable being very honest with these communities about my involvement with others.  They have no issue with it.

Given the above, my question to you folks is if I were to join LDS formally, how would my 'UU Mystic' identity be received given both Scriptural teachings AND social norms?  In other words, are there EXPLICIT formal teachings concerning exclusivity in this tradition?  Or more social norms and/or informal advice?

Thanks in advance ....

LDS are the one, true church who worship the gods.  Both are mutually exclusive, at least, to those who are not polytheist, like the LDS. 

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 04, 2012 - 8:11PM #4
wohali

Ironhold:

"Your best bet would be to actually read through the official church materials at www.lds.org and www.mormon.org to get a feel for the church."

Yeah, this really doesn't seem to be that place for answers..............

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 05, 2012 - 2:41AM #5
Aka_me

Thanks in advance ....

hello,

I'm not LDS but have unique opinions about the church as a corporation and the members as honest hard working people being taken for a ride by the corporation.

the LDS have no explicit teachings forbidding you from membership in the UU.

however there will be participation audits much like IRS audits, where they come to your home to check up on your activity and participation. if your UU time is cutting into your LDS time... believe you me they will ask why.

the question would be more for you...

with a UU attitude of equality, what would motivate you to want to be adopted into one of the 12 tribes of God's chosen people?

The UN says the ebola outbreak must be controlled within 60 days or else the world faces an "unprecedented" situation for which there is no plan.
this is absolutely fantastic as it unites the world into being OUR problem rather than THEIR problem.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 05, 2012 - 12:37PM #6
MysticWanderer

May 5, 2012 -- 2:41AM, Aka_me wrote:

Thanks in advance ....

hello,

I'm not LDS but have unique opinions about the church as a corporation and the members as honest hard working people being taken for a ride by the corporation.

however there will be participation audits much like IRS audits, where they come to your home to check up on your activity and participation. if your UU time is cutting into your LDS time... believe you me they will ask why.

with a UU attitude of equality, what would motivate you to want to be adopted into one of the 12 tribes of God's chosen people?

I have been a member of the LDS for six years now and while that time has been spent in only one ward I must say that I have never had a "participation audit" unless you are referring to reporting to my priesthood leadership about my home teaching.  I have had several home teachers and been one myself,  obviously, and have never had any do more than discuss the current lesson and ask if I needed any help; nor have I ever been instructed by bishop or priesthood leaders to do more than that.

"Not all who wander are lost" J.R.R.Tolkein
You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. ~Anne Lamott
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain."
Friedrich von Schiller
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 06, 2012 - 9:32PM #7
Bob_the_Lunatic

May 5, 2012 -- 12:37PM, MysticWanderer wrote:

Thanks in advance ....

hello,

I have been a member of the LDS for six years now and while that time has been spent in only one ward I must say that I have never had a "participation audit" unless you are referring to reporting to my priesthood leadership about my home teaching.  I have had several home teachers and been one myself,  obviously, and have never had any do more than discuss the current lesson and ask if I needed any help; nor have I ever been instructed by bishop or priesthood leaders to do more than that.

If you don't skip ward activities, then I doubt an audit would be in order.  So...."mystic", if you are very active in your ward-how do you figure you're a rebuttal to aka's point?  If you ARE active, then you know nothing about it and should pipe down for an LDS who does, to comment (HONEST LDS *cough*, ie anyone who has knowledge of all of it is a liar....just a liar) lol.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 06, 2012 - 11:54PM #8
Habala?!

May 5, 2012 -- 12:37PM, MysticWanderer wrote:

Thanks in advance ....

hello,

When I was LDS I was a hometeacher and the bishop often had discussions with me and my partner about non/less active people that we were assigned to. The same thing happened while I served in the presidencies of my deacon, teacher and priest quorums.

"When you walk, you might like to take the hand of a child. She will receive your concentration and stability, and you will receive her freshness and innocence." -Tich Naht Hanh
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 1:12AM #9
Theo

Given what I know of the Mormon religion, LDS are known these days for telling prospective converts, to bring with them the best of their past faith traditions, and they will be welcomed... but my guess is that most of those people eventually find that their best is not good enough, and if they stick with the LDS Church, they have to lay down everything they once believed and fully embrace the Churches teachings, in order to be considered a member in good standing by their bishop.  

But that aside, I really don't understand why anyone who already has a belief system would consider joining a Church with a totally different theology, hoping that they will find a spiritual home there, even while still believing contrary beliefs? And I know a little bit about attending a Church that I do not agree with about a lot of stuff, while I still believe what I believe. Even so, I am mostly compatible with my Church, and the areas where I differ with them, I am content to keep to myself. But the Mormon Church has a totally different paradigm of religious teachings, and no Bible believing Christian can make the switch without giving up what they already believe, so I would imagine the same would be true for a UU believer.

~ Theophilus

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 1:31AM #10
Aka_me

May 7, 2012 -- 1:12AM, Theo wrote:

But that aside, I really don't understand why anyone who already has a belief system would consider joining a Church with a totally different theology, hoping that they will find a spiritual home there, even while still believing contrary beliefs? And I know a little bit about attending a Church that I do not agree with about a lot of stuff, while I still believe what I believe. Even so, I am mostly compatible with my Church, and the areas where I differ with them, I am content to keep to myself. But the Mormon Church has a totally different paradigm of religious teachings, and no Bible believing Christian can make the switch without giving up what they already believe, so I would imagine the same would be true for a UU believer.

~ Theophilus

just curious if you're familiar with UU?

There is no single unifying belief that all Unitarian Universalists (UUs) hold, aside from complete and responsible freedom of speech, thought, belief, faith, and disposition. Unitarian Universalists believe that each person is free to search for his or her own personal truth on issues, such as the existence, nature, and meaning of life, deities, creation, and afterlife. UUs can come from any religious background, and hold beliefs and adhere to morals from a variety of cultures or religions.

UU is unique in being a theology with required beliefs. so a UU member not familar with seed of Cain curse, priesthood ban, legal anti-era efforts, prop8 efforts, I think no more of taking another wife than I do of buying a cow, 4th of July speech

"could" potentially be drawn into the community feeling

but will inevitably begin questioning why God doesn't insist the church apologize for lying about Native Americans constructing the Mountain Meadows Massacre.

or why God can't show some spine by to telling the prophet to either officially spend church resources fighting prop 8 by openly becoming a taxable lobbying organization or shut the flock up about prop 8 by flying under the legal radar.

or why God couldn't stand behind His command to practice polygamy, running for the hills when the going got tough.

or why God still can't explain how the priesthood ban came into being.

these things make it completely impossible to call "fit for worship".

The UN says the ebola outbreak must be controlled within 60 days or else the world faces an "unprecedented" situation for which there is no plan.
this is absolutely fantastic as it unites the world into being OUR problem rather than THEIR problem.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook