Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Beat your children well
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 9:25AM #1
davelaw40
"Can I make it any clearer?" he yells on the recording. "Dads, the second you see that son dropping the limp wrist, you walk over there and crack that wrist. Man up. Give them a good punch. OK?"

Sean Harris, pastor of Berean Baptist Church

www.fayobserver.com/articles/2012/05/02/...

of course now it was  just a badly timed joke illustrating his views on gender roles

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 10:00AM #2
Blü

An ignorant, intolerant minister advocates violence, tries to laugh it off later.

Must be a slow news day.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 10:04AM #3
nieciedo

I cannot prove but I suspect that the minister in question was the recipient of such corrective beatings himself.

I would not be surprised for him to be discovered in a few years in a cheap motel doing meth with a 19yo male hustler.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 10:54AM #4
Thomas A Quinas

I knew a guy from high school who walked around with limp wrists, but he had really big hands & really skinny wrists!  He was also a skirt-chaser who lived to party.

All of this emphasis on posture.  With the negative stigma attached to the lifestyle, you wouldn't think that most kids growing up would be eager to advertise this aspect of their development, either to their parents or their peers.  Perhaps da times they are 'a changin.

Seek true peace, not upon earth, but in heaven; not in men, nor in other things created, but in God alone. -- The Imitation of Christ by Thomas A Kempis

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 11:06AM #5
johnacancienne

May 2, 2012 -- 10:54AM, Thomas A Quinas wrote:

I knew a guy from high school who walked around with limp wrists, but he had really big hands & really skinny wrists!  He was also a skirt-chaser who lived to party.

All of this emphasis on posture.  With the negative stigma attached to the lifestyle, you wouldn't think that most kids growing up would be eager to advertise this aspect of their development, either to their parents or their peers.  Perhaps da times they are 'a changin.

If they're changing, Tom, it's an imposed change brought about by the Christian Taliban element floating around political circles these days. They're trying to stuff the GLB community back into that circa 1950's closet.

Actually, Dave, I'd like to hear more about how the minister went about clarifying that "little joke". Did he express disgust with the intolerance for different people with different life styles, and or beliefs than his congregation/denomination/religion? Did he talk about Jesus mingling with the most undesirable people of his time to show the people of his day how to live in a loving tolerant world? It just seems to me, if this were meant to be an object lesson of sorts, giving the emphasis of his meaning would be helpful.

It isn't about waiting for the storms to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 11:16AM #6
human1

I appreciated the article's closing quote by Tony Cartledge, who teaches OT at Campbell University (where ever that is!):

"We must be careful not to assume that every Baptist, or even everyone who believes homosexual behavior to be sinful, would endorse Harris' over-the-top promotion of beating gay tendencies out of their children," Cartledge said via email. "At the same time, we have to state unequivocally that Harris' position presents a distorted view of scripture that is completely out of keeping with the teachings of Jesus."

...and I'd like to thank you, Dave, for joining with the likes of Kw in finding the web's most fringe, abnormal, and unembraced incidents within "Christianity" to bring to this place, lol!  Thank you, Dave, this place def needs more of that!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 11:26AM #7
davelaw40

Human, it was the lead story on Yahoo news this am. I did not go searching for the fringe.

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 11:29AM #8
davelaw40

May 2, 2012 -- 11:06AM, johnacancienne wrote:

May 2, 2012 -- 10:54AM, Thomas A Quinas wrote:

If they're changing, Tom, it's an imposed change brought about by the Christian Taliban element floating around political circles these days. They're trying to stuff the GLB community back into that circa 1950's closet.

Actually, Dave, I'd like to hear more about how the minister went about clarifying that "little joke". Did he express disgust with the intolerance for different people with different life styles, and or beliefs than his congregation/denomination/religion? Did he talk about Jesus mingling with the most undesirable people of his time to show the people of his day how to live in a loving tolerant world? It just seems to me, if this were meant to be an object lesson of sorts, giving the emphasis of his meaning would be helpful.

follow the link

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 11:36AM #9
human1

May 2, 2012 -- 11:26AM, davelaw40 wrote:

Human, it was the lead story on Yahoo news this am. I did not go searching for the fringe.

By specifying fringe within "Christianity" I meant within Christianity.  It is not normal, nor accepted, nor a frequent thing to walk into a Christian church and find a guy preaching (whether joking or not) abuse of children for anything, including for having traits that are associated whether wrongly or rightly with homosexuality.

As for Yahoo... at Yahoo, yes, it's less a "fringe" thing, there, to find articles that bring out the obscure and least acceptable (to all, Christians included) incidents that happen within "Christianity".  How often, at Yahoo, do you find articles that highlight the good found within Christianity, it's churches, it's leaders, Dave?  I think you understand my point. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 11:37AM #10
Thomas A Quinas

May 2, 2012 -- 11:06AM, johnacancienne wrote:

If anything, the tide seems to be flowing in the opposite direction (that affeminism is becoming more widely tolerated).  Otherwise, why would the "Christian Taliban" feel the need to "beat the ever-living gayness" out of their children?  Perhaps they're trying to turn the proverbial clock back to a more ideal time.

May 2, 2012 -- 11:16AM, human1 wrote:

...and I'd like to thank you, Dave, for joining with the likes of Kw in finding the web's most fringe, abnormal, and unembraced incidents within "Christianity" to bring to this place, lol!  Thank you, Dave, this place def needs more of that!

I have to give Dave the benefit of a doubt on this one.  If more Christians tried to illuminate the absurdity of certain rationales that exist within Christian communities, then perhaps outsiders (such as KWin) would feel less of a need to do so.  Or maybe it's just a bit of wishful thinking on my part.  I plead ingorance.Smile

Seek true peace, not upon earth, but in heaven; not in men, nor in other things created, but in God alone. -- The Imitation of Christ by Thomas A Kempis

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook