Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View Beat your children well
3 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 12:44PM #21
human1

If no one is going to discuss the article (or Dave, or Kw) I must run.

Off to beat my kids.

Drats, they're at school.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 1:18PM #22
Ed.W

I love it.  Priceless.

Human, what is your church's stance on homosexuality?  I know what John Piper's is.

Stop deflecting and avoiding the issue, is Piper wrong this time?

‘Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.’ --Lao Tzu
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 1:38PM #23
Kwinters

May 2, 2012 -- 12:14PM, tfvespasianus wrote:

May 2, 2012 -- 12:00PM, Kwinters wrote:

I am not sure whether to feel complimented or insulted by this whole exchange.

'There is only one thing worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about' said a guy that wrote really good aphorisms (prose... meh, some good plays though).

True, I am now apparently short-hand for well written, well sourced posts that provoke thought and reaction on concepts and ideas previously underconsidered or not even identified.  That or I am the moral compass that demonstrates the dangers of preaching one value system while living another.

;)

I am fine with either and both.

Jesus had two dads, and he turned out alright.~ Andy Gussert

“Feminism has fought no wars. It has killed no opponents. It has set up no concentration camps, starved no enemies, practiced no cruelties. Its battles have been for education, for the vote, for better working conditions…for safety on the streets…for child care, for social welfare…for rape crisis centers, women’s refuges, reforms in the law.

If someone says, “Oh, I’m not a feminist,” I ask, “Why, what’s your problem?”

Dale Spender
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 1:40PM #24
Kwinters

May 2, 2012 -- 12:18PM, human1 wrote:

May 2, 2012 -- 12:00PM, Kwinters wrote:

May 2, 2012 -- 11:58AM, davelaw40 wrote:

May 2, 2012 -- 11:55AM, human1 wrote:

May 2, 2012 -- 11:53AM, davelaw40 wrote:

derail all you want

I'm not a topic NAZI

Human, I'm glad you read to the quote at the end; that was really the point.

Dave, you know I love you... and what would life be without it's unexpected surprises?

Comparing me to Kaydub: I sure didn't feel the Love.

I am not sure whether to feel complimented or insulted by this whole exchange.

Haha, I can imagine! 

Well... I could toss out the whole love the sinner hate the sin thing.... except I find that Christianese thought process flawed and so I reject it as any true reflection of God.  He hates both... at least according to His word.  Coming to understand the implications of that allows far more magnificence and glory to be seen in His sovereignty to save (anyone), but that's a rabbit trail. 

I can definitely say this, I love you, Kw, too.  Every bit as much as I love Dave. (Oh Dear, that may have Dave in a frump...)  Even though the repeated trotting out, by you, of one more obscure story of some nitwit whose behavior wouldn't be getting a majority of nods and smiles within Christianity does get annoying to me at times.  Frequently, if I'm honest... well, maybe every time.

I respect many things about you, and see much to admire.  Even if we disagree on... well... life, LoL... "life" seems to sum it up pretty much.  ;)

I would venture that you love me like Atisha loved his cook.

Jesus had two dads, and he turned out alright.~ Andy Gussert

“Feminism has fought no wars. It has killed no opponents. It has set up no concentration camps, starved no enemies, practiced no cruelties. Its battles have been for education, for the vote, for better working conditions…for safety on the streets…for child care, for social welfare…for rape crisis centers, women’s refuges, reforms in the law.

If someone says, “Oh, I’m not a feminist,” I ask, “Why, what’s your problem?”

Dale Spender
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 1:41PM #25
Ed.W

May 2, 2012 -- 1:38PM, Kwinters wrote:

True, I am now apparently short-hand for well written, well sourced posts that provoke thought and reaction on concepts and ideas previously underconsidered or not even identified.  That or I am the moral compass that demonstrates the dangers of preaching one value system while living another.

I am fine with either and both.

Yes, I'm sure that's it. Tongue Out

‘Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.’ --Lao Tzu
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 2:02PM #26
davelaw40

May 2, 2012 -- 1:18PM, Ed.W wrote:

I love it.  Priceless.

Human, what is your church's stance on homosexuality?  I know what John Piper's is.

she does not need a Church's opinion

she is sola scriptura

see Roman's 1

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 2:04PM #27
johnacancienne

May 2, 2012 -- 11:36AM, human1 wrote:

By specifying fringe within "Christianity" I meant within Christianity.

It is not normal, nor accepted, nor a frequent thing to walk into a Christian church and find a guy preaching (whether joking or not) abuse of children for anything, including for having traits that are associated whether wrongly or rightly with homosexuality.

Really? Ya think?! I would submit the fringe element of Christianity to be those who accept that people's sexual orientation is no more of a choice than the race one is born into. But then again, living in the bubble of your perfect world, with your perfect religion, I can see where a bit of real world can be distressing for you.

May 2, 2012 -- 11:36AM, human1 wrote:

As for Yahoo... at Yahoo, yes, it's less a "fringe" thing, there, to find articles that bring out the obscure and least acceptable (to all, Christians included) incidents that happen within "Christianity".  How often, at Yahoo, do you find articles that highlight the good found within Christianity, it's churches, it's leaders, Dave?  I think you understand my point.

Actually, more than you think, Human; at least when good deeds actually happen. I guess the problem is that one type of act committed by the religion seems to out weigh the other.

It isn't about waiting for the storms to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 2:23PM #28
Ed.W

May 2, 2012 -- 2:02PM, davelaw40 wrote:

I love it.  Priceless.

she is sola scriptura

see Roman's 1

Dave, you misunderstand scripture.  Paul is saying that someone who is born gay, is ok.  But when a hetero does it with their own sex, that is bad.  Or likewise when a naturally gay person does it with the opposite sex that is bad. The keyword being "unnatural".

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 4:20PM #29
davelaw40

May 2, 2012 -- 2:23PM, Ed.W wrote:

May 2, 2012 -- 2:02PM, davelaw40 wrote:

I love it.  Priceless.

she is sola scriptura

see Roman's 1

Dave, you misunderstand scripture.  Paul is saying that someone who is born gay, is ok.  But when a hetero does it with their own sex, that is bad.  Or likewise when a naturally gay person does it with the opposite sex that is bad. The keyword being "unnatural".

Paul did not have that concept of being "born gay". He blames same-sex relationships on cultural decadence that comes from ignoring God.

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 6:41PM #30
stardustpilgrim

May 2, 2012 -- 11:16AM, human1 wrote:

I appreciated the article's closing quote by Tony Cartledge, who teaches OT at Campbell University (where ever that is!):

That would be NC. I had a nephew who went there, (MK's get to go for free........)....

sdp

The purpose of words is to convey ideas. When the ideas are grasped, the words are forgotten.
Where can I find a man who has forgotten words? He is the one I would like to talk to.
The Way of Chuang Tzu by Thomas Merton

A map is not the territory. Alfred Korzybski
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook