Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Messiah to come when?
2 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 7:11PM #1
chanceuse
Hello everyone!

Since the books in the Tanakh stop about 400 years B.C.E., is there any indication of when the Messiah is supposed to come?
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 8:53PM #2
Bunsinspace

BS"D

Judaism did not stop with the canonization of TeNaCh.   To understand Moshiach one must study ALL of our holy texts since that time as well.  

In Judaism we believe that the Moshiach will come either when we merit the blessings of unity or when we have totally lost all merit and Moshiach comes to put us back on the path of righteous behavior towards one another and all of Creation.

We pray several times daily that Moshiach will come in our generation - that we all work together to merit such unity - a unity not of robotic compliance or fascism but a sacred unity which supports diversity - the natural balance evident in Creation.

So those who want Moshiach work for it in their daily lives moment by moment.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 8:59PM #3
rocketjsquirell

1.  The moshiach will come later today, or not.Smile

2.  It does not matter when the moshiach comes, it is our duty to complete the work of creation/repair the world and bring on the messianic age in our generation.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 10:39PM #4
Pam34

rocketjsquirrel has it right. He'll come when he comes. Until then, we have Torah and mitzvot to worry about.

In other words, it's pointless to speculate, and we don't particularly care (at least immediately) because he'll come when the world is ready for him, and not before.

Blessed are You, HaShem, Who blesses the years.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 11:40PM #5
howiedds

Paraphrasing Franz Kafka:

The Messiah will come when he is no longer needed.

The Messiah will come the day after he has arrived.

The Messiah will come, not on the last day, but on the very last day.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 10:31AM #6
chanceuse

Hi Bunsinspace!

You write:

In Judaism we believe that the Moshiach will come either when we merit the blessings of unity or when we have totally lost all merit and Moshiach comes to put us back on the path of righteous behavior towards one another and all of Creation.

Does this sound like there's a possibility that the Messiah never comes?

You add:

We pray several times daily that Moshiach will come in our generation - that we all work together to merit such unity - a unity not of robotic compliance or fascism but a sacred unity which supports diversity - the natural balance evident in Creation.

It seems like you can't go wrong with that.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 10:34AM #7
chanceuse

Hi rocketjsquirell!

You write:

It does not matter when the moshiach comes, it is our duty to complete the work of creation/repair the world and bring on the messianic age in our generation.

I was just wondering if there was any indication in the Hebrew Scriptures when this might be.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 10:40AM #8
rocketjsquirell

chanceuse

We are expressly forbidden from engaging in fortune telling and other such Pagan practices. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 1:29PM #9
vra

May 2, 2012 -- 10:34AM, chanceuse wrote:

Hi rocketjsquirell!

You write:

It does not matter when the moshiach comes, it is our duty to complete the work of creation/repair the world and bring on the messianic age in our generation.

I was just wondering if there was any indication in the Hebrew Scriptures when this might be.

There's a listing of events that must precede the Messiah's coming, and I have that list but, unfortunately, I cannot post it here because if I try, my computer kicks me out.  I know Howie has posted it before, so maybe he can repost it.  If he doesn't see this, such a list can be found at the "Jews for Judaism" website.

Just to let you know that not all Jews believe in a personal Messiah but some believe in a "messianic age" to come, and there are also some Jews who either don't believe in such a thing as a "Messiah" or simply have taken a "wait and see" attitude.  This latter item may seem strange to a Christian, but the issue of the Messiah is really quite a minor one here but a major one within Christianity.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 2:28PM #10
rocketjsquirell

VRA

I am sort of the "wait and see" type but I like singing about Elijah announicng the Messiah every week during Havdallah and at other appropriate times.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Utimc22qqjk&feat...

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook