Page 7 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Switch to Forum Live View Religious people are less motivated by compassion
2 years ago  ::  May 06, 2012 - 7:44PM #61
CaliberCadillac

May 6, 2012 -- 7:28PM, Ken wrote:

May 6, 2012 -- 7:24PM, CaliberCadillac wrote:

The Huffman source is straight out of a college textbook on Psychology. 

And we all know that college textbooks are the last word on everything.

No, (I didnt say that),  but they are a perfectly acceptable source of reference--and you know it. 

And you know J'Carlin is wrong too.  I bet you wish he would shut up.  I would if he was on my side. 

"Sometimes you gotta step into the ring and throw a few punches for what you believe in."

--Ernest Hemingway--
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 06, 2012 - 7:53PM #62
Ken

May 6, 2012 -- 7:44PM, CaliberCadillac wrote:

May 6, 2012 -- 7:28PM, Ken wrote:

May 6, 2012 -- 7:24PM, CaliberCadillac wrote:

The Huffman source is straight out of a college textbook on Psychology. 

And we all know that college textbooks are the last word on everything.

No, (I didnt say that),  but they are a perfectly acceptable source of reference--and you know it. 

And you know J'Carlin is wrong too.  I bet you wish he would shut up.  I would if he was on my side.

I wish you'd choke on a turd.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 06, 2012 - 8:54PM #63
CaliberCadillac

May 6, 2012 -- 7:53PM, Ken wrote:

I wish you'd choke on a turd.

Thats funny, can I use that?

"Sometimes you gotta step into the ring and throw a few punches for what you believe in."

--Ernest Hemingway--
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 10:40AM #64
F1fan

May 6, 2012 -- 3:30PM, CaliberCadillac wrote:

The idea that there is a place of eternal punishment to which you will surely go when you die unless a dead Jew decides to rescue you from it out of the goodness of his heart certainly calls for a "Hmmph!" It is distinctly crude and bizarre. -Ken

Not me—you.  Hell is not something I need concern myself with, so it has nothing to do with my motives in being generous.  And I really don’t care if you think what I believe is crude and bizarre.  

Hell isn't anything any non-believers are concerned about either.  It's an absurd idea.  And it goes against the text that says "Jesus died for the sins of mankind".  That Christians like you have accepted the interpretation that salvation extends only to believers who have "accepted Jesus as savior" isn't very compassionate.  It's in fact quite selfish and cruel.  Truly compassionate people would interpret the text to mean that Jesus died for all humans, regardless of whether they believe.  Selfishness exhibited by many Christians misses the mark and does not impress me.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 09, 2012 - 5:15PM #65
Seren78

May 5, 2012 -- 8:15PM, CaliberCadillac wrote:

May 3, 2012 -- 10:48AM, JCarlin wrote:

May 3, 2012 -- 1:35AM, CaliberCadillac wrote:

I can’t speak for “most religious people.” Personally, as a Christian, I have no “fear of punishment (Hell)” because I believe (per Orthodox Christian soteriology), that Christ provided me a GET OUT OF HELL FREE card.  More commonly known as the doctrine of “Salvation by Grace.” 

As usual, your lack of understanding about what you are so quick to criticize defeats your own arguments for me.  Thanks for continuing to make my job so easy:) 

You're not helping to convince me that the OP isn't onto something.
I rekon J'C is right on the money.  The contents of a first year psychology course rarely makes for particularly interesting debate, and, yes, it does get a whole lot more sophisticated than what is covered there.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 7 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook