Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Do we pray to same God?
3 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 3:54PM #1
rocketjsquirell
Hi,

I am posting this on the DJ, DI and DC boards because I want to know what people think about this guys' theory.

Personally, I have also thought that Islam is closer to Judaism because of its strict and uncompromising monotheism, its community structure, and its tradition of oral law (I know that the Muslims on these boards do not like it called that, but I have no other word for it). On the other hand there is no question that the direct connection between Judaism and Christianity through the person of Jesus, who was after all, Jewish, is not found between Judaism and Islam or Christianity and Islam. There is also the fact that the Christians pay more attention to  and place more emphasis and reliance on the Hebrew Bible than do Muslims.

So what do you think?

Frankly, I believe his premise that we may not be praying to the same G-d is nonsense.  If one believes that there is only one G-d, then it is only logical that there is only one G-d to which anyone may address their prayers. Thus no matter our intentions (and I believe we share the same intention), we must all pray to the one G-d.

Do we pray to same God?

Op-ed: Judaism, Christianity have much more in common with each other than either have with Islam

Dan Calic

How many times have you heard it said "we all pray to the same god?" These days we are hearing this from a growing number of people. To some degree one can excuse the average person from espousing such a viewpoint, as most people have not read the Bible and are not well schooled in matters of theology or eschatology.
. . .

One doesn't have to look very far to discover why this view is problematic.

The "Shahada," which is the statement of faith for the followers of Allah, reads, "there is no god but Allah, and Mohammed is his prophet." This statement clearly differentiates Allah from any other "god."

. . .

The Quran, which is the holy book of Allah's followers, says "the religion in the sight of Allah is Islam." As this makes it clear a believer in Allah must follow Islam, one might ask if other religions are tolerated. According to the Quran, "if anyone desires a religion other than Islam, never will it be accepted…" So much for Islam's tolerance of other religions.

The Quran also is highly critical of Christians and Jews. Some quotes include: "Jews and Christians are evil-livers,” "Evil is the handwork of rabbis and priests,” "Don't take Jews or Christians for friends. If you do Allah will consider you to be one of them."

Different values

Fundamental values for Christians and Jews include forgiveness, in addition to prohibitions against lying, adultery, and murder. Fundamental values for Allah's followers sanction judgment (fatwa,) lying (taqiyya,) men having multiple wives, and murder/suicide (martyrdom.)

While anyone is free to leave Christianity or Judaism, if a Muslim leaves the faith, or criticizes Allah, a fatwa is issued for their execution.

These distinctions make it clear Allah is a separate deity, with fundamentally different values, and has nothing in common with the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Moreover, Allah has disdain for any religion other than Islam, and is highly critical of Christians and Jews.
. . .
 full article:
 http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4221932,00.html

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 4:40PM #2

The answer is rater obvious to me.   The christians accept the biblical fact that Jesus is God.  The muslims don't.

Now, if the christians say Jesus is God and the muslims don't...then obviously they are different  Gods. 

The christian God is a Trinity...The muslim god isn't.   They are not the same.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 4:50PM #3
Ed.W

I can say this coffee mug is the "one God", and tell you I pray to the "one God" without mentioning that He is a coffee mug, are we praying to the same God or not?

‘Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.’ --Lao Tzu
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 5:28PM #4
rocketjsquirell

Ed

I guess the reply would be G-d is everywhere, even in the coffee mug. Smile  Try not to pray to coffee mugs, other people will probably think you have gone off the deep end.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 5:44PM #5

Apr 29, 2012 -- 4:50PM, Ed.W wrote:

I can say this coffee mug is the "one God", and tell you I pray to the "one God" without mentioning that He is a coffee mug, are we praying to the same God or not?

Have you seen the mug of God?

If so, how can that be?

Exodus 33:20 But," he said, "you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live."

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 5:57PM #6
Keyfer

I believe that there is only one God and that God manifests as life, consciousness, love, justice...all that is good and true. Each person receives God’s life and feels it as if it were his/her own, then makes what they will of it. If a person, for one reason or another, wants a world without God, they make it. It they want a God(s), they make their God(s). If a person wants a loving, tolerant God, they make one. If they want an angry, intolerant God, they invent one. If a person wants an exclusive religion or an inclusive one, they make it. People make the religion that they want. I think it explains why there are varieties of Islam, Judaism, Christianity and, I suspect, of other religions as well. I believe that God works with the choices we make. God influences each person to choose what is good and true but keeps the person in freedom.

Of course, beliefs are passed on to children but eventually each person chooses for her/himself what to believe. IMO, the final choice can be made in this world or the next after the person has had every opportunity to know the truth and to make an informed decision. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 7:30PM #7

Apr 29, 2012 -- 5:57PM, Keyfer wrote:

I believe that there is only one God and that God manifests as life, consciousness, love, justice...all that is good and true. Each person receives God’s life and feels it as if it were his/her own, then makes what they will of it. If a person, for one reason or another, wants a world without God, they make it. It they want a God(s), they make their God(s). If a person wants a loving, tolerant God, they make one. If they want an angry, intolerant God, they invent one. If a person wants an exclusive religion or an inclusive one, they make it. People make the religion that they want. I think it explains why there are varieties of Islam, Judaism, Christianity and, I suspect, of other religions as well. I believe that God works with the choices we make. God influences each person to choose what is good and true but keeps the person in freedom.

Of course, beliefs are passed on to children but eventually each person chooses for her/himself what to believe. IMO, the final choice can be made in this world or the next after the person has had every opportunity to know the truth and to make an informed decision. 

If that is what you believe...please remove "christian" from your profile.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 7:35PM #8
Keyfer

Apr 29, 2012 -- 7:30PM, 57 wrote:

Apr 29, 2012 -- 5:57PM, Keyfer wrote:

I believe that there is only one God and that God manifests as life, consciousness, love, justice...all that is good and true. Each person receives God’s life and feels it as if it were his/her own, then makes what they will of it. If a person, for one reason or another, wants a world without God, they make it. If they want a God(s), they make their God(s). If a person wants a loving, tolerant God, they make one. If they want an angry, intolerant God, they invent one. If a person wants an exclusive religion or an inclusive one, they make it. People make the religion that they want. I think it explains why there are varieties of Islam, Judaism, Christianity and, I suspect, of other religions as well. I believe that God works with the choices we make. God influences each person to choose what is good and true but keeps the person in freedom.

If that is what you believe...please remove "christian" from your profile.

I believe that Jesus Christ is the embodiment of the one God. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 8:26PM #9
Seefan

Apr 29, 2012 -- 5:44PM, 57 wrote:

If so, how can that be?

Exodus 33:20 But," he said, "you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live."

In post #2 you say JC is God.  So now you are saying the JC can't be God for the people of the day could see JC! 

How can this be? Undecided

Today the one overriding need is unity and harmony among the beloved of the Lord, for they should have among them but one heart and soul and should, so far as in them lieth, unitedly withstand the hostility of all the peoples of the world ... (Baha'i Writings)
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 8:38PM #10
Ed.W

Apr 29, 2012 -- 8:26PM, Seefan wrote:

Apr 29, 2012 -- 5:44PM, 57 wrote:

If so, how can that be?

In post #2 you say JC is God.  So now you are saying the JC can't be God for the people of the day could see JC! 

How can this be? Undecided

Jesus had a human face, he was what we call a God-man.  Don't be silly, be a good Baha'i and see what your messenger wants. 

Oh...he wants one single world religion?  How silly.  Our God despises religion.  Yours doesn't?  You must have a different God.

‘Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.’ --Lao Tzu
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook