Page 20 of 28  •  Prev 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 28 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Why Theists Won't Think
2 years ago  ::  May 08, 2012 - 4:50PM #191
Ken

May 8, 2012 -- 11:36AM, F1fan wrote:

May 8, 2012 -- 10:57AM, mytmouse57 wrote:

There are atheists "on a mission" so to speak. And I find them no less annoying than religious preachers.

Why?  there are atheists on a mission because there is an increasing influence of fundamentalism in US society and politics, and it is an influence with a seriously negative impact.  Of course there will be a fight back against a social movement that is largely irrational, yet claims to be knowledge. 

Exactly. The only difference between the "New Atheists" and the rest of us is that the former are more than usually exasperated and have decided to speak out in public. Does anyone imagine Richard Dawkins would have written The God Delusion if he had never met a Christian more fundamentalist than an Anglican bishop? But he visited the United States and was horrified to discover that vast expanses of the country are dominated by people who believe that the earth is six thousand years old and that their ancestors were dirt. They're even allowed to vote!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 08, 2012 - 4:58PM #192
steven_guy

There are atheists "on a mission" so to speak.

They are merely people concerned with undue and frequently unwanted influence of religion in Western societies like the USA. Who are these atheists on a mission anyway? 

And I find them no less annoying than religious preachers. 

Well, given a choice between having afternoon tea with Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins and Lawrence Krauss or Ted Haggard, Kent Hovind, Jimmy Bakker and Jimmy Swaggart, I know which group I'd choose.

That said, that is an individual choice on their part.

I don't have a choice to be an atheist. There has never been any evidence or reason that supports the idea that the myriad gods and goddesses dreamt up out of nothing by homo sapiens actually exist, so you can hardly say I had much choice in the matter. I am not a fool.

And they should be free to make and follow that choice

I couldn't care less what other people believe.

and spread their word whenever and however they please.

The missionaries who came to "spread their word" to the indigenous peoples of the New World and Australasia should have been shot on sight.

However, they are not obligated to do so, simply by virtue of being atheists. 

Atheists can't promote atheism but some atheists have decided that the claims of religions should be examined and criticised in public forums and that is their individual decision to do that - it isn't part of any atheist agenda.

The atheists I've known personally, mostly just wanted to be left the heck alone. 

I get the impression that you're like one or two other theists here, who believe that atheism is fine as long as atheists don't mention their atheism in public - the kind of atheist who is faintly embarrassed about being an atheist and will coyly answer: "I'm not particularly religious, myself" when being questioned about their beliefs at a dinner party.

In other words, the "atheists should be seen and not heard" school of theist thinking.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 08, 2012 - 5:19PM #193
Ken

May 8, 2012 -- 4:58PM, steven_guy wrote:

Well, given a choice between having afternoon tea with Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins and Lawrence Krauss or Ted Haggard, Kent Hovind, Jimmy Bakker and Jimmy Swaggart, I know which group I'd choose.

Bakker might behave himself. He's been pretty muted lately. Haggard, Hovind, and Swaggert would be unbearable. Dawkins, Harris, and Krauss would be nice. I'd feel quite safe in serving them Earl Grey in the better china and playing Corelli in the background.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 08, 2012 - 8:42PM #194
farragut

You can serve them tea. I'd serve them Remy Martin.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 08, 2012 - 9:09PM #195
teilhard

IOW, indeed, there ARE Sectarian Differences within The "Faith" Communities of "A-Theism" ...

May 8, 2012 -- 10:52AM, teilhard wrote:

Yes ... It seems that there are at least a FEW "Sects" within "Atheism" ... As so often noted, e.g., The (so-called) "New Atheists" are a markedly different ("Evangelistic" !!!) Bunch than simply Folks who don't go to Church anywhere ...

May 8, 2012 -- 10:37AM, Fodaoson wrote:

Atheism is more than an Idea or the lack of belief in a deity.   For an individual  it is “ without god”  but there are atheist associations , organization that promote atheism and atheist  support  services organizations.  Some have  been granted Tax exempt status by the IRS.   I have cited four sites below. There are many more on line:

www.atheistalliance.org/

www.americanhumanist.org/

www.humanism.org.uk/home

militaryatheists.org/

There are atheists "on a mission" so to speak. And I find them no less annoying than religious preachers. 

That said, that is an individual choice on their part. And they should be free to make and follow that choice, and spread their word whenever and however they please. However, they are not obligated to do so, simply by virtue of being atheists. 

The atheists I've known personally, mostly just wanted to be left the heck alone. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 08, 2012 - 10:01PM #196
JCarlin

May 8, 2012 -- 9:09PM, teilhard wrote:

IOW, indeed, there ARE Sectarian Differences within The "Faith" Communities of "A-Theism" ...

No.  Atheism includes many different communities, with many different paths that they follow.  The only commonality is that none of them are burdened with God beliefs or anything else associated with God. 

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 08, 2012 - 10:59PM #197
teilhard

huh ...

I'M not "'burdened' with 'God' Beliefs," either ... !!!

May 8, 2012 -- 10:01PM, JCarlin wrote:

May 8, 2012 -- 9:09PM, teilhard wrote:

No.  Atheism incluces many different communities, with many different paths that they follow.  The only commonality is that none of them are burdened with God beliefs or anything else associated with God. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 09, 2012 - 1:23AM #198
JCarlin

May 8, 2012 -- 10:59PM, teilhard wrote:

huh ...

So now it comes out, another atheist clergy feeding at the trough of the believers.  No wonder hesh spends so much time here. 

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 09, 2012 - 1:34PM #199
teilhard

No ... You missed the operative Word (which YOU suggested, below), i.e., "BURDENED" ...

I am NOT in the least BURDENED by my Encounters with The Reality of The Mystery we call, "God" ... 

May 9, 2012 -- 1:23AM, JCarlin wrote:

May 8, 2012 -- 10:59PM, teilhard wrote:

huh ...

So now it comes out, another atheist clergy feeding at the trough of the believers.  No wonder hesh spends so much time here. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 09, 2012 - 4:18PM #200
mytmouse57

May 8, 2012 -- 11:29AM, Ken wrote:

May 8, 2012 -- 10:53AM, mytmouse57 wrote:

I'm talking about the general conclusions that can be drawn from the basic idea/ideas of atheism.

For example, that our sapience is just basically an accident of nature. That sort of thing.

The brain is an organ no less than limbs and eyes. Why shouldn't it evolve to become adept at thinking just as the cheetah's limbs became adept at running and the eagle's eyes became adept at seeing? You never make a reasoned case for your position; you just say "It's obvious."

So, by that reasoning, my iPod caused Pink Floyd's music to exist.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 20 of 28  •  Prev 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 28 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook