Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View God hath made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus...
2 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2012 - 11:25AM #1
Kwinters

-Acts 2:36

Barnes' Notes on the Bible

God hath made - God hath appointed or constituted. See Acts 5:31.

Both Lord - The word "lord" properly denotes "proprietor, master, or sovereign." Here it means clearly that God had exalted him to be the king so long expected; and that he had given him dominion in the heavens, or, as we should say, made him ruler of all things.

Clarke's Commentary on the Bible

Both Lord and Christ - Not only the Messiah, but the supreme Governor of all things and all persons, Jews and Gentiles, angels and men.

God made Jesus king and messiah.  That makes sense. But it doesn't make sense to think that passage says God made Jesus into a god.  Seems the speech attributed to Peter excludes the divinity of Jesus as a theological possibilty.

Jesus had two dads, and he turned out alright.~ Andy Gussert

“Feminism has fought no wars. It has killed no opponents. It has set up no concentration camps, starved no enemies, practiced no cruelties. Its battles have been for education, for the vote, for better working conditions…for safety on the streets…for child care, for social welfare…for rape crisis centers, women’s refuges, reforms in the law.

If someone says, “Oh, I’m not a feminist,” I ask, “Why, what’s your problem?”

Dale Spender
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2012 - 11:29AM #2
dio

Sounds like Peter was saying lets continue Jesus' messianic mission.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2012 - 3:15PM #3
Adelphe

Apr 25, 2012 -- 11:25AM, Kwinters wrote:

...Seems the speech attributed to Peter excludes the divinity of Jesus as a theological possibilty.

"From Simeon Peter a slave and apostle of Jesus Christ, to those who through the righteousness of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ, have been granted a faith just as precious as ours."

Oh, wait.  Ehrman must decree "Inauthentic", right?

Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason, my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not retract anything, for to go against conscience would be neither right nor safe.  Here I stand.  I can do no other.  God help me.  Amen.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2012 - 3:21PM #4
Hoppy393

Both Lord - The word "lord" properly denotes "proprietor, master, or sovereign." Here it means clearly that God had exalted him to be the king so long expected; and that he had given him dominion in the heavens, or, as we should say, made him ruler of all things.

Both Lord and Christ - Not only the Messiah, but the supreme Governor of all things and all persons, Jews and Gentiles, angels and men.

God made Jesus king and messiah.  That makes sense. But it doesn't make sense to think that passage says God made Jesus into a god.  Seems the speech attributed to Peter excludes the divinity of Jesus as a theological possibilty.

We're talking position, not person.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2012 - 12:40AM #5
Eliascomes

Matthew 22:44
“‘The Lord said to my Lord: “Sit at my right hand until I put your enemies under your feet.”’

1 Samuel 8:5
They said to him, “You are old, and your sons do not follow your ways; now appoint a king to lead us, such as all the other nations have.”

1 Samuel 8:7
And the LORD told him: “Listen to all that the people are saying to you; it is not you they have rejected, but they have rejected me as their king.

God has appointed apart of Him, to be King over them. But the people still rejected Him, eventhough He became flesh like the rest of the kings. People are disobedient because they are descendants of Adam & Eve. It's just a generation curse that we are so disobedient. Since God had proved to us that we are very rebellis to Him, but we love serving Darkness.

Psalm 105:28
He sent darkness and made the land dark— for had they not rebelled against his words?

John 3:19
This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2012 - 7:50AM #6
Kwinters

Apr 25, 2012 -- 3:21PM, Hoppy393 wrote:

How is that a defensible view, given the text?

...Jesus of Nazareth was a man accredited by God to you by miracles, wonders and signs, which God did among you through him...This man was handed over to you by God’s deliberate plan and foreknowledge...But God raised him from the dead...Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Messiah.

“Feminism has fought no wars. It has killed no opponents. It has set up no concentration camps, starved no enemies, practiced no cruelties. Its battles have been for education, for the vote, for better working conditions…for safety on the streets…for child care, for social welfare…for rape crisis centers, women’s refuges, reforms in the law.

Dale Spender
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2012 - 7:52AM #7
Kwinters

Apr 26, 2012 -- 12:40AM, Eliascomes wrote:

“‘The Lord said to my Lord: “Sit at my right hand until I put your enemies under your feet.”’

They said to him, “You are old, and your sons do not follow your ways; now appoint a king to lead us, such as all the other nations have.”

And the LORD told him: “Listen to all that the people are saying to you; it is not you they have rejected, but they have rejected me as their king.

God has appointed apart of Him, to be King over them. But the people still rejected Him, eventhough He became flesh like the rest of the kings. People are disobedient because they are descendants of Adam & Eve. It's just a generation curse that we are so disobedient. Since God had proved to us that we are very rebellis to Him, but we love serving Darkness.

He sent darkness and made the land dark— for had they not rebelled against his words?

This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil.

You are more than welcome to start your thread.

This thread, however, is about the statements in Acts that God made Jesus what he was.

Dale Spender
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2012 - 10:33AM #8
jlb32168

God made Jesus king and messiah. That makes sense. But it doesn't make sense to think that passage says God made Jesus into a god.

God is uncreated from the Jewish and Christian perspective; therefore, the question of being made God is illogical.  God cannot make God.    

What we can logically infer, however,  is that Peter is comparing Christ to King David and Peter is asserting that some of King David’s visions were about Christ.  First, just as the kings of the word set themselves against YHWH and against YHWH’s anointed King, David (Psalm 2), the spiritual rulers of Judea, and Judea's movers and shackers, have set themselves against YHWH and against his Christ (Psalm 2 actually reads “Christ” in the LXX) when they crucified Christ.

Secondly, Peter says that David foresaw YHWH always before his face (Psalm 110), as if David was speaking of a prophetic vision.

[P1] – If Peter says that David foresaw YHWH, and [P2] Peter says that David says that this foresight was of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, then [C] Peter thinks that David thought that Jesus Christ of Nazareth was YHWH.

I honestly don't see how someone can arrive at another conclusion regarding what Peter thought.  I also think that the argument is one of those unambiguous assertions of Christ's divinity; however, I'm waiting for some creative albeit convoluted semantic acrobatics in attempts to explain away the otherwise manifestly clear.

Victim of this, victim of that, your mama’s too thin and your daddy’s too fat, get over it! - the Eagles
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2012 - 12:04PM #9
Eliascomes

Apr 26, 2012 -- 7:52AM, Kwinters wrote:

Apr 26, 2012 -- 12:40AM, Eliascomes wrote:

You are more than welcome to start your thread.

This thread, however, is about the statements in Acts that God made Jesus what he was.

I'm trying to say that Jesus is God; When we have children, are children have it own Will and eventually the child will become a nation of it own. Are children will be like to us as if we are oil and they're water; We are unable to become one with are children and with God until we both ( Generally speaking about the parents and children) become spirit of light, but not the dividing spirits of darkness. Jesus is able to combine Himself back to the One which He came from.

John 20:17
Jesus said, “Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’”

John 1:51
He then added, “Very truly I tell you, you will see ‘heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending on’ the Son of Man.”

Genesis 28:12
He had a dream in which he saw a stairway resting on the earth, with its top reaching to heaven, and the angels of God were ascending and descending on it.

2 Samuel 12  22 He answered, “While the child was still alive, I fasted and wept. I thought, ‘Who knows? The LORD may be gracious to me and let the child live.’ 23 But now that he is dead, why should I go on fasting? Can I bring him back again? I will go to him, but he will not return to me.”

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2012 - 1:55AM #10
Hoppy393

Apr 26, 2012 -- 7:50AM, Kwinters wrote:

Apr 25, 2012 -- 3:21PM, Hoppy393 wrote:

How is that a defensible view, given the text?

...Jesus of Nazareth was a man accredited by God to you by miracles, wonders and signs, which God did among you through him...This man was handed over to you by God’s deliberate plan and foreknowledge...But God raised him from the dead...Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Messiah.

A person who is crowned a king does not change in essence.  Making person a king does not change anything but position.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook