Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View God hath made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus...
2 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2012 - 4:47AM #11
Kwinters

Apr 27, 2012 -- 1:55AM, Hoppy393 wrote:

Apr 26, 2012 -- 7:50AM, Kwinters wrote:

Apr 25, 2012 -- 3:21PM, Hoppy393 wrote:

Apr 25, 2012 -- 11:25AM, Kwinters wrote:

-Acts 2:36

Barnes' Notes on the Bible

God hath made - God hath appointed or constituted. See Acts 5:31.

Both Lord - The word "lord" properly denotes "proprietor, master, or sovereign." Here it means clearly that God had exalted him to be the king so long expected; and that he had given him dominion in the heavens, or, as we should say, made him ruler of all things.

Clarke's Commentary on the Bible

Both Lord and Christ - Not only the Messiah, but the supreme Governor of all things and all persons, Jews and Gentiles, angels and men.

God made Jesus king and messiah.  That makes sense. But it doesn't make sense to think that passage says God made Jesus into a god.  Seems the speech attributed to Peter excludes the divinity of Jesus as a theological possibilty.

We're talking position, not person.

How is that a defensible view, given the text?

...Jesus of Nazareth was a man accredited by God to you by miracles, wonders and signs, which God did among you through him...This man was handed over to you by God’s deliberate plan and foreknowledge...But God raised him from the dead...Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Messiah.

A person who is crowned a king does not change in essence.  Making person a king does not change anything but position.

You really should read the text.  God did change him from a man, when he raised him from the dead and exhaulted him from a man into the messiah and ruler:

This Jesus did God raise up, whereof we all are witnesses. Being therefore by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit.

exhault: To raise in rank, character, or status; elevate

A god cannot raise a god to the status of a god.

But a god can raise a man from one of the people into their ruler/messiah/priest/prophet/messanger/fill in the blank.

Jesus had two dads, and he turned out alright.~ Andy Gussert

“Feminism has fought no wars. It has killed no opponents. It has set up no concentration camps, starved no enemies, practiced no cruelties. Its battles have been for education, for the vote, for better working conditions…for safety on the streets…for child care, for social welfare…for rape crisis centers, women’s refuges, reforms in the law.

If someone says, “Oh, I’m not a feminist,” I ask, “Why, what’s your problem?”

Dale Spender
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2012 - 8:52AM #12
jonny42

Apr 27, 2012 -- 4:47AM, Kwinters wrote:

You really should read the text.  God did change him from a man, when he raised him from the dead and exhaulted him from a man into the messiah and ruler:

This Jesus did God raise up, whereof we all are witnesses. Being therefore by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit.

But a god can raise a man from one of the people into their ruler/messiah/priest/prophet/messanger/fill in the blank.

God the Father can honor the work of the God the Son done while in the flesh.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2012 - 4:25PM #13
Hoppy393

Apr 27, 2012 -- 4:47AM, Kwinters wrote:

Apr 27, 2012 -- 1:55AM, Hoppy393 wrote:

A person who is crowned a king does not change in essence.  Making person a king does not change anything but position.

To raise in rank... does a promotion change essence?

In none of this do I see a change in essence, only of 'rank.'  If I get elevated to ruler over all mankind, then I'm still Hoppy.  If I get fired, I'm still Hoppy.

When one becomes a king, it changes position, priviledge, authority, etc.  It does not change essence (or personality, character, inner being, whatever you want to call it).

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook