Page 3 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Does truth exist if we are not aware of it?
2 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 5:32PM #21
Bob_the_Lunatic

Apr 29, 2012 -- 9:22AM, dio wrote:

Apr 28, 2012 -- 7:01PM, Bob_the_Lunatic wrote:

Apr 28, 2012 -- 1:09PM, chevy956 wrote:

Apr 27, 2012 -- 12:38PM, dio wrote:

Good heavens, I'm not trying to get Buddhist to conform to what I think.

Funny, that seems to have been your M.O. for your entire time on these boards.

Clearly someone sees no value in the phrase, "To Thine Own Self Be True."

Further, duplicity is a lousy strategy to use to convert others to your view.

in place of attacks on my M O can you give the Buddhist answer to the question? In you opinion does truth exist outside your knowledge, or not? If a tree falls in the forest and you don't hear it, did it make a sound?

It's not an attack, it's an observation.  To deny what one just did is to add insult to injury.  Such a person is not worthy of an honest answer.  Only a fool gives an honest answer to a dishonest question.  You are not here to learn from Buddhists, but lessons are all around you.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 8:21PM #22
Ferretling

Apr 29, 2012 -- 10:52AM, SeraphimR wrote:

And then there are mysterious statements beloved by Buddhists like "there is no difference between the perceiver, the object perceived, and the act of perception."  Just try to go about your life in a practical manner acting as if that were true.  No wonder Buddhist monks go about with begging bowls.  They are unfit for any honest labor.

Buddhists go around saying all manner of incomprehensible stuff like this.  I don't think it is worth the effort to try and understand it.  I doubt it is even possible.

Wow.

Thank you for clearly showing us your ignorance and intolerance.

Just because it is incomprehensible to you does not mean it is incomprehensible to everyone. Nor does it mean that it is worthless.

As far as your comment about the monks, that is just mean-spirited and not worthy of any further comment.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 8:51PM #23
dio

Apr 29, 2012 -- 5:32PM, Bob_the_Lunatic wrote:

in place of attacks on my M O can you give the Buddhist answer to the question? In you opinion does truth exist outside your knowledge, or not? If a tree falls in the forest and you don't hear it, did it make a sound?

It's not an attack, it's an observation.  To deny what one just did is to add insult to injury.  Such a person is not worthy of an honest answer.  Only a fool gives an honest answer to a dishonest question.  You are not here to learn from Buddhists, but lessons are all around you.

You didn't answer the question Lunatic. Is there any truth outside of your mind?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 9:01PM #24
Ferretling

You haven't answered MY questions, Dio.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 9:20AM #25
dio

Apr 29, 2012 -- 9:01PM, Ferretling wrote:

I'm sorry Ferretling, what was your question again?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 1:15PM #26
Bob_the_Lunatic

Apr 29, 2012 -- 8:51PM, dio wrote:

You didn't answer the question Lunatic. Is there any truth outside of your mind?

As soon as you find some humility and believe you can learn from others, you'll find I'm able to answer questions. :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 1:40PM #27
SeraphimR

Apr 29, 2012 -- 8:21PM, Ferretling wrote:

And then there are mysterious statements beloved by Buddhists like "there is no difference between the perceiver, the object perceived, and the act of perception."  Just try to go about your life in a practical manner acting as if that were true.  No wonder Buddhist monks go about with begging bowls.  They are unfit for any honest labor.

Buddhists go around saying all manner of incomprehensible stuff like this.  I don't think it is worth the effort to try and understand it.  I doubt it is even possible.

Wow.

Just because it is incomprehensible to you does not mean it is incomprehensible to everyone. Nor does it mean that it is worthless.

As far as your comment about the monks, that is just mean-spirited and not worthy of any further comment.

Oh, I tolerate your nonsense just fine. but that doesn't make it any less nonsense.

And if I can't comprehend it, it may very well mean that it is incomprehensible.  It certainly looks like it is intended to be incomprehensible.  In this world of knaves and fools, you've got to trust your own judgement.

I was asked for my opinion and I gave it.

----------

Here is a wiki article which discusses the mind as a sense organ which detects "mental objects".  Mental objects are to the mind as odors are to the nose and sounds to the ear.  So "mental objects" are as external to the mind as odors are to the nose, etc.

Don't blame me, blame the Buddha if this sounds like nonsense to you.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayatana

People with a mission to save the earth want the earth to seem worse than it is so their mission will look more important.

P.J. O'Rourke
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 1:49PM #28
SeraphimR

Apr 30, 2012 -- 1:15PM, Bob_the_Lunatic wrote:

Apr 29, 2012 -- 8:51PM, dio wrote:

As soon as you find some humility and believe you can learn from others, you'll find I'm able to answer questions. :)

O Great Lunatic!

We fall down before Thee, and humbly beseech Thee

Despise not us who are wander sightlessly in ignorace, but have pity!

Allow us, who are not worthy to tie Thy shoe strings to hear from thy great store of knowledge and wisdom!

We shall treasure each of Thy words as if they were pearls retrieved from the great oceanic deeps or diamonds recovered from deep delvings in the Earth!

Speak, O Great Lunatic!

People with a mission to save the earth want the earth to seem worse than it is so their mission will look more important.

P.J. O'Rourke
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 7:33PM #29
Ferretling

Apr 30, 2012 -- 9:20AM, dio wrote:

Apr 29, 2012 -- 9:01PM, Ferretling wrote:

I'm sorry Ferretling, what was your question again?

Just check on the previous pages. As it is a short thread now, I would prefer not having to re-type every single question I have asked you which you have not bothered to answer. Thanks.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 7:53PM #30
Ferretling

Apr 30, 2012 -- 1:40PM, SeraphimR wrote:

Apr 29, 2012 -- 8:21PM, Ferretling wrote:

Wow.

Oh, I tolerate your nonsense just fine. but that doesn't make it any less nonsense.

That is not just an intolerant statement, but a rude and ignorant one. If you want to call yourself "tolerant", feel free; everyone else can see the lie in that statement.

And if I can't comprehend it, it may very well mean that it is incomprehensible.  It certainly looks like it is intended to be incomprehensible.  In this world of knaves and fools, you've got to trust your own judgement.

Or, of course, it could simply mean that you do not understand it for any number of simple reasons, such as not really looking into it, not having enough Buddhist context to understand it, or being too close-minded to grasp the meaning. I will say that I actually DO get it, but I did need to understand it within the context of Buddhist practice before it was clear.

I was asked for my opinion and I gave it.

I paged back to double-check this statement and, actually, you were not. Care to try again?

----------

Here is a wiki article which discusses the mind as a sense organ which detects "mental objects".  Mental objects are to the mind as odors are to the nose and sounds to the ear.  So "mental objects" are as external to the mind as odors are to the nose, etc.

Don't blame me, blame the Buddha if this sounds like nonsense to you.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayatana

Again, this makes perfect sense within context. If you don't understand it, that's not really my problem. I'm not sure that you've really made the effort, and frankly, I don't really care.

Do you have anything productive or useful to add to this discussion, or are you just here to snipe and mock and make rude comments about Buddhist monks?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook