Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Does truth exist if we are not aware of it?
3 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2012 - 11:06AM #1
dio

Do universal insights exist whether we are aware of the insights or not?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2012 - 12:38PM #2
Bob0
"A student asked in dokusan, 'If a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it, does it make a sound?'

Suzuki Roshi answered, 'It doesn't matter.'"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"I was struggling with questions about the meaning , if any, of life and death and I told Suzuki Roshi that I was engaged in an existential philosophical quest. I told him how absorbing and exciting it was for me and asked him if I was on the right track.

He said, 'There is no end to that kind of search.'"

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Both from To Shine One Corner Of The World.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2012 - 12:51PM #3
Ferretling
1. How would we even know to answer?
2. Why does it matter?
3. What has this to do with Buddhism?
4. "You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2012 - 1:24PM #4
mainecaptain

One of the more ridiculous questions I have ever read. But I feel certain if asked on the CD board. The majority of them would say yes, and explain why, complete with bible quotes.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2012 - 10:16AM #5
chevy956

Apr 25, 2012 -- 11:06AM, dio wrote:

Do universal insights exist whether we are aware of the insights or not?

Where would these insights come from if not from the human imagination? This isn't a really good question, sorry.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2012 - 11:52AM #6
dio

Where did the enlightened one's insights come from, his imagination? I think there is a universal truth which simply is whether anyone is aware of it or not. Of course life is better if people are aware of it. I read Buddha said there is more truth than he had been able to teach.

To illustrate this; I read Buddha was walking through a forest with his students and picked up a handful of leaves. Are there more leaves on all the trees or in my hand? He said, what I know is as great as all the leaves in the forest but what I teach is equal to this handful of leaves.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2012 - 12:33PM #7
Ferretling

First off, dio, let me clarify something.

An insight is an act of the mind. Therefore, an insight cannot exist without someone having it, because insights are acts of the mind.

There is a difference between "insight" and "truth".

So are you talking about the subject in regards to your thread title or to your original post and question.

Note you have said "you think" that there are universal truths. Do you have something where you can show the Buddha spoke of "universal" truth? Can you show something where looking for "universal" truth is a good idea?Can you give some sort of criteria by whichwe may realize something is THE "universal truth"?

Insight is a realization of the mind. It comes from the mind, and can come from the imagination.

Again, there is a difference between insight and truth.

Will finding a "universal truth" reduce or end suffering?

Again, how exactly is this Buddhist? You're asking a question ahead of yourself. If you want to know about the Buddhist viewpoint, I suggest it is best to start off with one of these sorts of questions:

1. Did the Buddha teach about "universal truth"?

2. Is there a concept of universal truth taught in Buddhism? If so, what sects?

3. Is the concept of "universal truth" a Buddhist idea?

4. What place does the concept of "universal truth" have in historical and/or modern Buddhism?

By reading some of our responses, you might already have an idea as to the answer(s), but these questions make more sense. They show an interest in Buddhism itself, rather than getting Buddhism to conform to What Dio Believes.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2012 - 12:38PM #8
dio

Good heavens, I'm not trying to get Buddhist to conform to what I think.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2012 - 2:08PM #9
Ferretling

Apr 27, 2012 -- 12:38PM, dio wrote:

Good heavens, I'm not trying to get Buddhist to conform to what I think.

Then perhaps you could answer the question I posed: What has this to do with Buddhism, or show Buddhist teachings to support a belief in some "universal truth".

Otherwise it does come off, indeed, as Dio trying to make Buddhism (not Buddhists) conform to Dio's Beliefs.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2012 - 12:18AM #10
chevy956

Dio said: "I think there is a universal truth which simply is whether anyone is aware of it or not."

>>>Prove it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook