Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5
2 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 8:03PM #41
Ken

Apr 29, 2012 -- 6:46PM, Fodaoson wrote:

To  oppose, to offer an alternative or to “set the record straight” requires a belief system or opinion (another way of saying “I believe that…”)  therefore SOME  of the postings by atheists are annulled.

To oppose requires nothing more than an opponent.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 8:28PM #42
Abner1

Fodaoson wrote:

> To  oppose, to offer an alternative or to “set the record straight” requires a belief system

> or opinion (another way of saying “I believe that…”) 

Not at all.  For example, being a foreigner is an alternative to being a member of a nation; that doesn't being a foreigner a belief system or an opinion.  It doesn't even make the foreigners a group; rather, it's a catchall for every person who isn't a member of that nation.

And, as with atheists, there are lots of people who hate foreigners, feel superior to them, and spread lies about them (i.e. "Only people in our country love freedom; all those foreigners hate freedom.").  A foreigner hearing such dangerous and malicious claims might well want to correct them; that still doesn't make being a foreigner a belief system.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 10:25PM #43
Ken

Apr 29, 2012 -- 10:04PM, steven_guy wrote:

Ken, Abner, Blü, Wohali and Main, I am constantly in admiration of your postings.

Awww! You're pretty admirable yourself.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 10:35PM #44
mainecaptain

Apr 29, 2012 -- 10:25PM, Ken wrote:

Apr 29, 2012 -- 10:04PM, steven_guy wrote:

Ken, Abner, Blü, Wohali and Main, I am constantly in admiration of your postings.

Awww! You're pretty admirable yourself.

Thank you :) and I agree with Ken Smile

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 11:27PM #45
costrel

Apr 29, 2012 -- 1:44PM, Fodaoson wrote:

If atheism is not a belief or religion, why do atheists seek an audience on BELIEFNET? BNs mission” Our mission is to help people like you find, and walk, a spiritual path that will bring comfort, hope, clarity, strength, and happiness.”

If there is no spirit, no soul, then there is no spiritual path to sleek.

If there is no belief there is nothing to discuss. 

So what exactly is the purpose then of the U.S. News and Politics board on Beliefnet then, where you and I spend so much of our time? Or for that matter, any of the many politics, news, and current events boards? Is politics all about belief, religion, spirit, soul, and a spiritual path? I don't think so. In fact, in the U.S., we have a separation of Church and State. And as you know well, if we talk too much about religion over on the politics boards, the threads are either locked or sent to a more appropriate board. 

And atheists have much to discuss. Just look at the way that atheists criticize the Catholic Church for its sex abuse scandal, which certain Christians want to deny even exists. And look at the way that atheists criticize young earth creationism. And look at the way that atheists legitimately criticize Christian theocratic politicians like Santorum. Should I continue? 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 3:53PM #46
wohali

Steven, you ain't no slouch...........

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 5:45PM #47
steven_guy

Thanks guys. I learn from you all. 

Quick Reply
Cancel