Post Reply
Page 4 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
2 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 2:57PM #31
mainecaptain
Posts: 21,656

Apr 29, 2012 -- 1:55PM, Ken wrote:


Apr 29, 2012 -- 1:44PM, Fodaoson wrote:


If atheism is not a belief or religion, why do atheists seek an audience on BELIEFNET?


We're the opposition.




That and perhaps to set the facts straight, after all the lies spread about atheists.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 5:04PM #32
JCarlin
Posts: 5,975

Apr 29, 2012 -- 1:44PM, Fodaoson wrote:

BNs mission” Our mission is to help people like you find, and walk, a spiritual path that will bring comfort, hope, clarity, strength, and happiness.”


  Beliefnet provides alternatives to religion for those whose spiritual path is so rutted and full of potholes that it no longer serves their needs.  Many come to DA to discuss their spirtual path ruts and potholes et. all.  in the hope that perhaps we can show them an alternative that works.  Many of us have been down that path and found our way off it. 


Over the years we have seen a few get help, and suspect that others have as well although they don't come on the board to thank us.  Many of the arguments we get here seem to be desperate attempts to save Faith.  While we don't proselytize, there is nothing to sell, we can help others find an alternative path. 


Atheism is an alternative to failed dogmatism.


J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 6:26PM #33
steven_guy
Posts: 11,548

Apr 29, 2012 -- 1:44PM, Fodaoson wrote:


If atheism is not a belief or religion, why do atheists seek an audience on BELIEFNET?



A number of non-religious issues are discussed on Beliefnet. Atheism is one of them. Atheism is not a belief or religion. We should know, we're atheists.


Apr 29, 2012 -- 1:44PM, Fodaoson wrote:

BNs mission” Our mission is to help people like you find, and walk, a spiritual path that will bring comfort, hope, clarity, strength, and happiness.”



But they also devote space to the alternative.


 

Apr 29, 2012 -- 1:44PM, Fodaoson wrote:

If there is no spirit, no soul, then there is no spiritual path to sleek.



Of course. There is no spiritual path to seek. However, many people believe that there is and  other forums cater to that belief.


Apr 29, 2012 -- 1:44PM, Fodaoson wrote:

If there is no belief there is nothing to discuss. 



The fact that you seem impervious to our explanations of what atheism actually is gives us something to discuss. Atheism appears to very misunderstood in the United States of America and it also appears that many theists resist our explanations of atheism. There is also the issue of religions' attempts to interfere with society and people's freedom.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 6:46PM #34
Fodaoson
Posts: 10,902

To  oppose, to offer an alternative or to “set the record straight” requires a belief system or opinion (another way of saying “I believe that…”)  therefore SOME  of the postings by atheists are annulled.

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 6:57PM #35
steven_guy
Posts: 11,548

Apr 29, 2012 -- 6:46PM, Fodaoson wrote:


To  oppose, to offer an alternative or to “set the record straight” requires a belief system or opinion (another way of saying “I believe that…”)  therefore SOME  of the postings by atheists are annulled.




Ay-yayay!


Atheism is not a belief system.


Just like not stamp collecting is not a hobby and bald is not a hair colour.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 7:20PM #36
JCarlin
Posts: 5,975

Apr 29, 2012 -- 6:46PM, Fodaoson wrote:

To  oppose, to offer an alternative or to “set the record straight” requires a belief system or opinion.


Only for those so attached to belief that they can see no alternative. 

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 7:30PM #37
mainecaptain
Posts: 21,656

Apr 29, 2012 -- 6:46PM, Fodaoson wrote:


To  oppose, to offer an alternative or to “set the record straight” requires a belief system or opinion (another way of saying “I believe that…”)  therefore SOME  of the postings by atheists are annulled.




No. Set the record straight from the LIES theists tell about atheists. That does not require a belief system, so no atheists postings are not annulled, except by the foolish.


Everyone has an opinion. An opinion is not a belief system or religion. And offering an alternative is not offering a belief system or religion either. It is simply showing that one can live a happy fulfilled life without religion or god beliefs.


It is that very notion you posted, that has to be corrected.



Try again.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 7:55PM #38
IDBC
Posts: 4,361

Howdy Steven


Apr 28, 2012 -- 10:28PM, IDBC wrote:

Atheism IS a belief that that god has no existence.  



Do you actively believe that the Tooth Fairy has no existence?




I do not actively believe that the Tooth Fairy has in the physcial-material univserse.


I do actively disbelieve that the Tooth Fairy has existence in the physcial-material universe.


Since the Tooth Fairy does not have a physcial-physcial material existence science cannot prove or disprove the existence-non-existence of the Tooth Fairy.  


There are no scientists that I am aware of that has a "belief" in the existence of the Tooth Fairy. 


There are few if any adults who  are not scientist believe in the Tooth Fairy.   


There are however scientist and other adults who do believe in the existence of god, certainly more who believe in the existence of the Tooth Fairy. 


However what the Tooth Fairy and god have in common is that their are stories about their existence. 


But the Tooth Fairy does have an existence metaphysically.  There are stories about the Tooth Fairy.  


I am not aware of any philosopher who offers any reasons for the existence of the Tooth Fairy. 


I am not aware of any theologian or a religion that involve the Tooth Fairy.  


Comparing the Tooth Fairy with god is  like comparing apples with oranges.  Both apples and oranges are fruits but different fruits.  


Both the stories about god and the tooth fairy even if both are fictional they are still very different.   It would be like the difference between a fairy tale and a myth. 


I am also not aware of any philosopher who would try to make a reasoned argument for tooth fairies.     


   


 


 




 

HAVE A THINKING DAY MAY REASON GUIDE YOU
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 8:00PM #39
Blü
Posts: 23,950

fodaoson



If atheism is not a belief or religion, why do atheists seek an audience on BELIEFNET?


I find it interesting to compare and contrast the belief=opinion of atheism with with religious versions of belief=faith.


BNs mission” Our mission is to help people like you find, and walk, a spiritual path that will bring comfort, hope, clarity, strength, and happiness.”


Atheism fits easily into that, once the word 'spiritual' is seen to refer to certain emotional states - awe, tranquility, meditative self-awareness, attunement to the natural world, poetry and metaphor, music, altered consciousness &c - with no supernatural connotation or denotation.



If there is no spirit, no soul, then there is no spiritual path to sleek.


If you're looking for a path that will bring comfort, hope, clarity, strength, and happiness then truth, in my view, is an advantage. 


If there is no belief there is nothing to discuss.


Our visitors are of another view.


Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 8:01PM #40
steven_guy
Posts: 11,548

Apr 29, 2012 -- 7:55PM, IDBC wrote:


Howdy Steven


Apr 28, 2012 -- 10:28PM, IDBC wrote:

Atheism IS a belief that that god has no existence.  



Do you actively believe that the Tooth Fairy has no existence?




I do not actively believe that the Tooth Fairy has in the physcial-material univserse.


I do actively disbelieve that the Tooth Fairy has existence in the physcial-material universe.


Since the Tooth Fairy does not have a physcial-physcial material existence science cannot prove or disprove the existence-non-existence of the Tooth Fairy.  


There are no scientists that I am aware of that has a "belief" in the existence of the Tooth Fairy. 


There are few if any adults who  are not scientist believe in the Tooth Fairy.   


There are however scientist and other adults who do believe in the existence of god, certainly more who believe in the existence of the Tooth Fairy. 


However what the Tooth Fairy and god have in common is that their are stories about their existence. 


But the Tooth Fairy does have an existence metaphysically.  There are stories about the Tooth Fairy.  


I am not aware of any philosopher who offers any reasons for the existence of the Tooth Fairy. 


I am not aware of any theologian or a religion that involve the Tooth Fairy.  


Comparing the Tooth Fairy with god is  like comparing apples with oranges.  Both apples and oranges are fruits but different fruits.  


Both the stories about god and the tooth fairy even if both are fictional they are still very different.   It would be like the difference between a fairy tale and a myth. 


I am also not aware of any philosopher who would try to make a reasoned argument for tooth fairies.  



The Tooth Fairy, like God, is an imaginary being and honest philosophers know that there are no reasoned arguments for either of them or any other imaginary being.


Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook