Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Started a Blog on Vedanta :)
2 years ago  ::  Apr 24, 2012 - 5:38AM #1
silence_speaks

Hi Friends,
          :) I am not sure how many of you remember me. Its been very long since i last appeared here.

I have stared a blog on Advaita vedanta. Its basically a serious study of advaita vedanta.
The idea is to systematically study some scriptures like Shankaracharya's prakarana granthas and some texts like SAT Darshanam of Ramana Maharshi etc.

www.selfabidance.blogspot.com

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 12:16AM #2
gangajal

Welcome back Silence. It is good that you have started an Advaita Vedanta blog.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 12:45AM #3
silence_speaks

Dear Gangajal,

:) Thanks for the welcome. In the period that i was absent from the forum, I have dedicated myself to some very serious study, learning from genuine vedantins about advaita. I have also had the chance to listen to some saints on advaita. This, along with my own meditations, has aided me see things in a different light, better and more simple.

Having understood this, I am sharing it with the world. But I no more desire to argue over the things. The Truth reaches those who deserve it. In any case it helps me understand better. So I restricted myself to my own blog rather than discussion groups.

:) The idea is to express thoughts on vedantic ideas in a traditional sense.

In today's world there are more false monks than real ones. There are many swamis and sadhus who are fake. This is so in all religious systems. Its hard to find a genuine one and even if i find one, its hard to ascertain if he or she is genuine. So A sincere seeker is caught up ... he does not know whom to believe and whom not to. Perhaps a sincere seeker would benefit from a blog like this one, where the ideas need not be believed, but "Seen" as True :) ... As even , I am a sincere seeker and i benefit from those writings too :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 03, 2012 - 11:32AM #4
gangajal

Dear Silence,

I had the feeling that you were veering towards lack of belief before you stopped posting in Beliefnet. What is your position today? Do you believe in spiritual experiences of saints and sages or you think that they were hallucinating?

Regards

Gangajal

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 04, 2012 - 5:42AM #5
silence_speaks

Dear Gangajal,

:) Thanks for the question.

Saints were not hallucinating, otherwise they cannot be called Saints. But when we read the stories of Saints, after so many years ... atleast somethings get mixed up. To me , Ramana or Ramakrishna were perfections. But then, when their lifes are depicted, we miss the essence if the concentration is on "Experience". All Experiences are at the level of the mind and are mental projections. Its not the Experiences that make them saints. What make them saints is the ability to revel as Self.

There is a word called "Anubhavam" in sanskrit which is translated as "Experience" .

Thats a wrong translation. it means "Anu-bhav", "anu" means following... like anucharati , follows. Bhav means to "Be".

Having learnt the Truth, one "Remains Established" in it. Thats Anubhavam.

Having heard the truth from a guru, one remains established in that Self. thats realization.

Ramakrishna is not great coz he saw kali, he is great coz having learnt the Truth he remained ever immersed in Kali's Embrace.

Ramana is a saint coz he remained established as Self, not coz he had a particular experience.

ultimately God is always everywhere ... so we are ever in he embrace of God. so we do not lack experience, we lack an ability to recognize the experience. We do not recognize God, though he surrounds us all the time. Thats because we expect something exotic to happen. We expect something special to happen. Thats the reason we miss God who is ever present here and now! so what we need is not yet another experience called the experience of God, we need to recognize every experience of life as a meeting with God and remain ever immersed in that Presence.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 04, 2012 - 5:49AM #6
silence_speaks

I hope the subtle point is conveyed.

All that is "Drishya" --- everything Seen is Mithya.

No choice in that. 

So one experience is not more special than another.

An experience is special only if it reveals that all experiences are mithya :) Thats the point. So after that experience one should not be left craving for yet another experience, but should be reveling in that whichs the basis for all experiences --- the "Drk"

And it need not mean that we have a "Particular" experience. It can happen gradually through study of scriptures under a proper guru and for the vast majority of people thats how it happens :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 06, 2012 - 12:01PM #7
gangajal

Silence,

You have given the position of Kevala Advaita school which considers everything except the Advaita experience (or you may call it abiding in the self) as mithya or transitory.

I will comment on what you have written, 'All Experiences are at the level of the mind and are mental projections.'. Yes, this is true but the experience of God is not attained through our normal mind but through the activation of Sahasrara and Ajna Chakras. These Chakras are not the normal human mind.

Regards

Gangajal

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 06, 2012 - 5:18PM #8
williejhonlo

"All experienes are at the level of mind and are mental projections" Krishna says in Bhagavid-gita, ch 3 verse 42 "The working senses are superior to dull matter;mind is higher than the senses;intelligence is still higher than the mind;and he [ the soul ] is even than the intelligence."

The mind is just a tool for the self, it is not the self, and it cannot know the self because it has no existential nature. "I think, therefore I AM" is not actually correct. "I AM, therefore I think" is the actual correct statement.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 3:00AM #9
silence_speaks

Dear Gangajal,

:) What you presented is true. When we say Some experience is spiritual , we mean its just subtler mind. Like when i have a subtle mind i can see things more clearly than what i see now. When mind gets very subtle, Ramakrishna had some experiences of God.

But all Experiences still remain projections of mind. A subtler mind for yogis who experience. Thats why Yogis start with pranayama etc, which aid in keeping the mind calm and then they see all that.

One may also put it as "Seeing with the Whole Mind", not with "individual mind".

But then, even if its whole mind, its projection of that mind. So Kevala Advaita dismisses everything as mental imagination, because the objective there is to simply abide as Self. thats what Sri Ramakrishna also did when totapuri instructed him.

I also feel, for a sadhaka its a very tricky position. Suppose i cry for God for a few moments and feel very elivated or spiritually out of the world. And then in that moment i see God. The basic nature of any emotion is, it comes down. when it comes down, it makes us normal ... but now i am someone who saw god. so there is a ego developed. This is very tricky.

Abiding in Self alone is kaivalyam.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 3:04AM #10
silence_speaks

in other words ... "Ego should be not allowed to remain" ... totally nullified. Because ego is a problem always. one needs to remain without any notion of "I" what so ever.

I feel even the idea "i am a servant of God" can be a problem , as someone may say "i am a better servant of God than another person" and slip the track. However, "I am a servant of God" ego is much better than worldly ego.

As one remains ever established in self with no notion of "I" what so ever , one lives a liberated life.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook