Page 1 of 14  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What would you do for God?
2 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2012 - 4:39PM #1
Kwinters

Don't know if anyone else here enjoys the guilty pleasure of the show Supernatural, but in the 4th season the story gets quite interesting.

Just a quick question to all believers here: how far would you go if God asked it of you?

Would you torture someone?
Would you rape or inflict sexual torture?
Would you kill children?
Would you kill?

If God asked it of you, would you obey his will or would you do what he asked?

And no, 'god would never do that' does not count as a valid answer.  That is an evasion.  

God in a vision shows you where there is a person who is possessed by a demon. He tells you the person is already dead and he needs you to kill that demon by destroying the body it possess. You believe this vision is a vision from God, and not a trick or mental lapse.

Would you? 

If you would kill for your country, would you also kill for your God? Or would you disobey.

Jesus had two dads, and he turned out alright.~ Andy Gussert

“Feminism has fought no wars. It has killed no opponents. It has set up no concentration camps, starved no enemies, practiced no cruelties. Its battles have been for education, for the vote, for better working conditions…for safety on the streets…for child care, for social welfare…for rape crisis centers, women’s refuges, reforms in the law.

If someone says, “Oh, I’m not a feminist,” I ask, “Why, what’s your problem?”

Dale Spender
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2012 - 4:42PM #2
Kwinters

Jesus had two dads, and he turned out alright.~ Andy Gussert

“Feminism has fought no wars. It has killed no opponents. It has set up no concentration camps, starved no enemies, practiced no cruelties. Its battles have been for education, for the vote, for better working conditions…for safety on the streets…for child care, for social welfare…for rape crisis centers, women’s refuges, reforms in the law.

If someone says, “Oh, I’m not a feminist,” I ask, “Why, what’s your problem?”

Dale Spender
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2012 - 4:57PM #3
tfvespasianus
This OP made me think of an episode of RadioLab (if you have never listened to this show, I highly recommend it in general).

That's because the opening premise is one to which people, even anonymously, may be prone to not answer completely honestly. Or at least that's what I would speculate. In any case, I think that's perfectly natural in that what the aforementioned show posits is that 'we' (i.e. people in general) tell something very close to lies about ourselves every day and those that do so more often are actually more successful (e.g. well-balanced) than those that don't within certain parameters. As always, the devil is in the details with respect to what kind of lies and when we lie to ourselves.

For anyone interested, the podcast can be found here: www.radiolab.org/2008/mar/10/lying-to-ou...
Ubi solitudinem faciunt pacem appellant - Tacitus
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2012 - 6:18PM #4
SecondSonOfDavid

Apr 23, 2012 -- 4:39PM, Kwinters wrote:

And no, 'god would never do that' does not count as a valid answer.  That is an evasion.  

It is not evasion to observe that God does not contradict Himself.  

It is a human error for the querant to claim so.

I won't speak for the non-Christian, but the Christian has access to the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, and so has recourse when in doubt.

That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2012 - 9:07PM #5
Blü

SecondSon

It is not evasion to observe that God does not contradict Himself

So if you were Abraham you'd take the knife to Isaac.  If you were Jephthah, you'd make a burnt offering of your daughter.  If you were David, you'd let the innocent descendants of Saul be killed before the Lord.  If you were on Jonah's boat, you'd throw him overboard.  If they handed you the hammer, you'd drive the nails.

Right?

I wouldn't.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2012 - 9:13PM #6
Blü

KW

Your entertaining Supernatural excerpt shows people torturing and presumably happy to kill on the basis of stories and reports.  It doesn't seem to have occurred to them to undertake any procedures to get satisfactory confirmation of their grotesque orders.

So it's arguably a drama about how the foundations of faith rest on voluntary ignorance.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2012 - 9:28PM #7
MMarcoe

Don't know if anyone else here enjoys the guilty pleasure of the show Supernatural, but in the 4th season the story gets quite interesting.

Just a quick question to all believers here: how far would you go if God asked it of you?

Would you kill children?
Would you kill?

God in a vision shows you where there is a person who is possessed by a demon. He tells you the person is already dead and he needs you to kill that demon by destroying the body it possess. You believe this vision is a vision from God, and not a trick or mental lapse.

Would you? 

If you would kill for your country, would you also kill for your God? Or would you disobey.

I would do all of these things. And I would probably be psychotic but not realize it.

There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.

God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2012 - 9:31PM #8
Jenandew7

Would you kill children?
Would you kill?

Would you? 

God would never demand that we kill.  That is a valid answer.  Any demand that we do something that is not loving, is not of God.  That is not only  a valid answer, but one that all should be taught.  You are to test the spirits.  Although there are other places in the NT, 1 John is the test. 

There are many reasons people may be deluded.  One is, naturally, mental illness. 

Demons are merely our own propensity to sin. 

The view of faith represented by the OP is, sadly, overly simplistic and not real.  God loves all his children and we are to see the image of God in all as we are all made in his image.  Life is sacred. 

A.

If you pour yourself out for the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted, then shall your light rise in the darkness and your gloom be as the noonday. --Isaiah 58:10
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2012 - 10:20PM #9
Adelphe

No, it most certainly isn't as SSOD points out...

Apr 23, 2012 -- 6:18PM, SecondSonOfDavid wrote:

It is not evasion to observe that God does not contradict Himself. 

"Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son" (Heb 1)

You're not going to find his Son commanding anything close to the examples in the OP.

Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason, my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not retract anything, for to go against conscience would be neither right nor safe.  Here I stand.  I can do no other.  God help me.  Amen.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 24, 2012 - 1:41AM #10
Blü

Jenadew

God would never demand that we kill.

The bible says that's simply untrue.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 14  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing