Page 14 of 14  •  Prev 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14
Switch to Forum Live View What would you do for God?
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 10:31AM #131
nieciedo

May 2, 2012 -- 9:25AM, Paladinsf wrote:

"May 2, 2012 -- 8:04AM, nieciedo wrote:

Ok, then given all this we have to assume that God is just and that God has a reason for his actions that are just even if we don't agree, and that life and death are totally in his power and his prerogative. "

And WHY would you assume that?

Because the imaginary world we're constructing assumes that the Judeo-Christian Biblical God is real, and these are attributes attributed to said deity.

Substitute a different god and the assumptions would necessarily be different.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 11:28AM #132
lope

May 2, 2012 -- 9:12AM, jlb32168 wrote:

May 2, 2012 -- 8:46AM, Kwinters wrote:

You are missing the logic.  If you assert god is moral If A = A then any action god does is also moral. Because god cannot perform an immoral act.

You are correct.

May 2, 2012 -- 8:46AM, Kwinters wrote:

If that act is moral then humans can do it and call it moral.  God killed babies, therefore killing babies must be moral. Otherwise god could not have done it.

No, one cannot kill babies because God has forbidden it and never will allow it again.

Yes, that is a double standard.  No, Christians don’t have a problem with it.

This Christian has a problem with it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 12:01PM #133
jlb32168

I'd go back to fasting from meat on all days if I got the green light on slaying the stupid.

Victim of this, victim of that, your mama’s too thin and your daddy’s too fat, get over it! - the Eagles
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 12:11PM #134
lope

May 2, 2012 -- 12:01PM, jlb32168 wrote:

I'd go back to fasting from meat on all days if I got the green light on slaying the stupid.

So many would die.  All except you and me, and I am not sure about you. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 12:42PM #135
jlb32168

May 2, 2012 -- 12:11PM, lope wrote:

So many would die.  All except you and me, and I am not sure about you.

Well . . . if I were given the green light to slay the stupid, I'm assuming that I'm being picked because I'm not stupid and I certainly can't commit suicide since it is murder.

Victim of this, victim of that, your mama’s too thin and your daddy’s too fat, get over it! - the Eagles
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 03, 2012 - 8:35AM #136
Adelphe

May 1, 2012 -- 6:50PM, Kwinters wrote:

May 1, 2012 -- 6:45PM, Adelphe wrote:

May 1, 2012 -- 6:30PM, Kwinters wrote:

May 1, 2012 -- 6:23PM, Adelphe wrote:

May 1, 2012 -- 6:07PM, Kwinters wrote:

The God of the Bible killed babies.  Personally.

And the LORD struck the child that Uriah's wife bare unto David, and it was very sick....And it came to pass on the seventh day, that the child died.

Can you please provide the evidence-based case that supports this assertion?

I'm sorry. I didn't realize that for you the Bible is a load of bullcrap.

So you're saying there's no point in citing the Bible and you won't be doing it anymore?  Least of all in support of an argument?

There there is no basis for claim moral absolutes.

Theism in and of itself has no moral structure attached to it. It is merely an assertion of at least one deity. 

To assert moral absolutes one must assert a moral framework.  The moral framework we have that describes the god of the Bible includes his actively killing babies.

And asking questions to which, if he were omnipotent, he should have known the answer.

Ergo the though experiment is entirely valid to test the claim that lying to God is always wrong.

All fallacies again--your definitions, your decontextualizing, your rejection of data that are problematic (indeed that contradict your assertions), your "logic", your entire..."experiment."

Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason, my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not retract anything, for to go against conscience would be neither right nor safe.  Here I stand.  I can do no other.  God help me.  Amen.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 04, 2012 - 6:47AM #137
Dostojevsky

Quote:

'The God of the Bible killed babies.  Personally.

And the LORD struck the child that Uriah's wife bare unto David, and it was very sick....And it came to pass on the seventh day, that the child died.'

After all this time some people still interpret Bible literally?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 04, 2012 - 5:57PM #138
Iwantamotto

After a long period of thought (ok, I just now thought of this, LOL), I decided that if God wanted me to kill a kid, arguing it's like the Omen's Damien or something, I'd shoot back with "Yeah, but that Professor guy spared Hellboy and he turned out to be a hero.  So there."  :)

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 14 of 14  •  Prev 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook