Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next
Switch to Forum Live View John the Baptist and the forgiveness of sins
2 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2012 - 5:30AM #1
Kwinters

John came, who baptized in the wilderness and preached the baptism of repentance unto remission of sins. And there went out unto him all the country of Judaea, and all they of Jerusalem; And they were baptized of him in the river Jordan, confessing their sins.

Then went out unto him Jerusalem, and all Judaea, and all the region round about the Jordan; and they were baptized of him in the river Jordan, confessing their sins.

And he came into all the region round about the Jordan, preaching the baptism of repentance unto remission of sins;

John answered them, saying, I baptize in water: in the midst of you standeth one whom ye know not, even he that cometh after me, the latchet of whose shoe I am not worthy to unloose. These things were done in Bethany beyond the Jordan, where John was baptizing.

John preached baptism for the remission of sins. People went to him confessing their sins, were baptised and thus gain the remission of their sins.

Did John have the authority to forgive those sins? Did he have the authority to act for God in the remission of sins?

If John's baptisms had the effect of cleansing sins, does that mean he was divine?

Jesus had two dads, and he turned out alright.~ Andy Gussert

“Feminism has fought no wars. It has killed no opponents. It has set up no concentration camps, starved no enemies, practiced no cruelties. Its battles have been for education, for the vote, for better working conditions…for safety on the streets…for child care, for social welfare…for rape crisis centers, women’s refuges, reforms in the law.

If someone says, “Oh, I’m not a feminist,” I ask, “Why, what’s your problem?”

Dale Spender
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2012 - 7:14AM #2
davelaw40

preached the baptism of repentance 

repentence remits sin 

Baptism was a public statement of same

so, no and no

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2012 - 8:15AM #3
Kwinters

Apr 15, 2012 -- 7:14AM, davelaw40 wrote:

preached the baptism of repentance 

repentence remits sin 

Baptism was a public statement of same

so, no and no

What were you saying no to? There were three questions.

So if no, what was happening? 

“Feminism has fought no wars. It has killed no opponents. It has set up no concentration camps, starved no enemies, practiced no cruelties. Its battles have been for education, for the vote, for better working conditions…for safety on the streets…for child care, for social welfare…for rape crisis centers, women’s refuges, reforms in the law.

Dale Spender
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2012 - 8:20AM #4

Apr 15, 2012 -- 5:30AM, Kwinters wrote:

John came, who baptized in the wilderness and preached the baptism of repentance unto remission of sins. And there went out unto him all the country of Judaea, and all they of Jerusalem; And they were baptized of him in the river Jordan, confessing their sins.

Then went out unto him Jerusalem, and all Judaea, and all the region round about the Jordan; and they were baptized of him in the river Jordan, confessing their sins.

And he came into all the region round about the Jordan, preaching the baptism of repentance unto remission of sins;

John answered them, saying, I baptize in water: in the midst of you standeth one whom ye know not, even he that cometh after me, the latchet of whose shoe I am not worthy to unloose. These things were done in Bethany beyond the Jordan, where John was baptizing.

John preached baptism for the remission of sins. People went to him confessing their sins, were baptised and thus gain the remission of their sins.

Did John have the authority to forgive those sins? Did he have the authority to act for God in the remission of sins?

If John's baptisms had the effect of cleansing sins, does that mean he was divine?

Unlike Jesus, John could not forgive sin because John was not God. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2012 - 4:46PM #5
Kwinters

Apr 15, 2012 -- 8:20AM, 57 wrote:

But he was, according to the gospels. 

Dale Spender
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2012 - 6:11PM #6
Eliascomes

Apr 15, 2012 -- 4:46PM, Kwinters wrote:

John had use this gesture of washing the body from sins hoping that God will forgive them.

Jonah 3:6
When Jonah’s warning reached the king of Nineveh, he rose from his throne, took off his royal robes, covered himself with sackcloth and sat down in the dust.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2012 - 6:12PM #7

Apr 15, 2012 -- 4:46PM, Kwinters wrote:

HUH????

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2012 - 6:46PM #8
Burnman

1. All three synoptic Gospels agree that he performed a baptizm that he himself says is inferior to what was to come. So no, he did not have the authority to remit sin on God's behalf. That answers those two questions

2. No, he was not divine. His answer to those who ask if he were the Christ acknowelges that he himself recognised that one mightier than he is to follow. That answers your third question.

Of course, your own quote above provides those answers. This leads a reader to wonder whether you even read the quote before you ask these questions.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2012 - 7:33PM #9
dio

Forgiveness of sin was a big money maker for the temple. John and Jesus saying one does not need to go to the temple anymore to forgive sins messed with the temple revenues. John and Jesus were a threat to the Temple authorities. You don't need to go to the temple to have your sins forgiven is like telling Catholics they don't have to go to church to pay their tithes on Sundays. Temple authorities did not like John or Jesus because John and Jesus were making the Temple cult irrelevant. John and Jesus were a threat to the herodian roman appointed rich temple cult.

In today's terms John and Jesus were like the 99% ers and the temple aristocracy were like the 1% ers.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2012 - 7:39PM #10

Apr 15, 2012 -- 7:33PM, dio wrote:

Forgiveness of sin was a big money maker for the temple. John and Jesus saying one does not need to go to the temple anymore to forgive sins messed with the temple revenues. John and Jesus were a threat to the Temple authorities. You don't need to go to the temple to have your sins forgiven is like telling Catholics they don't have to go to church to pay their tithes on Sundays. Temple authorities did not like John or Jesus because John and Jesus were making the Temple cult irrelevant. John and Jesus were a threat to the temple culy.

Jesus being God did say they made His house into a den of theives.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook